insomnia with ambien??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

insomnia with ambien??? insomnia with ambien???

Unread 02-07-2005, 07:39 AM
insomnia with ambien???

OK..this is really rediculous...My Dr gave me ambien from my surgery, to help me help fall asleep and stay asleep. Even WITH the ambien I wake anywhere from 1:00 am -4 am. Is this normal??? I never get a good night sleep. I had my original TAH in 7-03, then my BSO in Nov of 04, so I feel like I'm starting all over, but even so, I haven't slept well since my TAH 18 months ago.
Anyone else..I do have other health issues, but this is just compounding everything.
UGH!
als
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 09:26 AM
insomnia with ambien???

Ls -

no good sleep is a problem for many of us after a hyst. Ambien, and most sleep aids, lose their effectiveness after a few nights. They can be useful for short term problems and to "reset" your sleep clock.

If you can take hormones, some women find the right HRT dose helps them doze. A few women here have found that progesterone, even without estrogen helps promote sleep. Hormones aside - exercise, avoiding caffine and alcohol, and sometimes even ovaltine or warm milk can help.

Dorrie
Unread 02-07-2005, 11:08 PM
insomnia with ambien???

My gyn also prescribed Ambien for me.....I can not tolerate a whole pill....It makes me somewhat restless and I can not remember anything 5 minutes after I take it. I take about 1/4 of a pill when needed and it puts me to sleep quickly. I dont wake up usually until morning and if I have to take a potty break at night.....I am right back catching ZZZZZZ.....I have heard two rules of thought on Ambien....one source said it is not addictive another said it was....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2005, 07:32 AM
insomnia with ambien???

I'm not sure about that..But I don't use it all the time. I hate the way it makes me feel. Like you, I have to go to bed immediately or it makes me feel weird. I don't like that feeling. I have the 5 mg tabs. And I have only tried them since my surgery in Nov.
als
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:07 AM
insomnia with ambien???

Ambien is supposed to be less likely to cause tolerance than some other sleep aids - but any sleep aid can cause problems. Rebound insomnia is another issue with these medications - you use them for a few nights, stop and then can't get to sleep.

The ambien website suggests the medications use for short term (7-10 days) insomnia.

((Als)) maybe you need to talk to your doc if this isn't working for you

Dorrie
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:27 AM
insomnia with ambien???

Hi,

I have had good results with benadryll . I start with 1/2 dose because it can be too strong at first and you might have a hard time waking up.

Valerian root capsules work pretty good, but cannot take for too long, won't work well if you do.

I like drinking a warm cup of Ovaltime before bed, there is something that is in the milk that makes me tired. I forget the name of it,same thing in turkey.

Good luck on trying to get sleep. I hope it gets better.

s
Unread 02-08-2005, 03:25 PM
insomnia with ambien???

Hi ladies,

I have also had problems staying asleep since my hyst in November.

I had tried Valerian root and that worked for a while, then I finally went to the dr and he prescribed a sleeping aid, Sonata - but I could only take that for 6 nights and that did help me sleep and stay asleep, but it really played tricks on my mind!!haha

Anyways, back to the health food store I went and the owner suggested Melatonin 3mg. I have been taking that for about 4 weeks and it is working great. I sleep all night and get a restful sleep.

So, maybe this might work for you. It is a natural hormone and I have not had any side effects from it. I wake up naturally (when it starts getting light out) and I am never groggy in the morning.

Good Luck and God Bless!!

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register