5 weeks today, How is everyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks today, How is everyone else? 5 weeks today, How is everyone else?

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:05 PM
5 weeks today, How is everyone else?

Hello

I am 5 wks todays, I know ther were I think 17 or 18
others the same day 1/3/05 just wondering how everyone is
doing. i doing good just not doing to much yet. I still have a nurse
comimg everyday for the last 3 wks to change my packing in my incision it still has alittle ways to go but it's looking very good.

Lori
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:08 PM

I am a 5 weeker today too. Feeling pretty good. Returned to work in the office today. 5 hours was enough for me and I was ready to come home. I brought a few hours of work home to do tonight after I nap. Sore still but not needing to take anything for it. Other than little complications I think I am doing pretty good.

Best wishes
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Im 4 weeks out today and I also have an open insicion. I don't have a nurse coming...my nurse is good ol hubby...3 times a day!!! It still has a way to go and seems if I do ANYTHING it starts bleeding again so I am back to just laying around. Iam about to go stir crazy. The night sweats and day flashes and no sleep is getting to me but I am going to talk to doc about taking a blood pressure med to help with this as I know several who are doing this and it works. Swelly belly still has not gone away but the hip aching is getting so much better.

Did you end up with an infection at the incision or why is yours open if you don't mind me asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 02:36 PM

I will be 5 weeks on Weds. and my incision is open as well. DH packs it, but I'm afraid I will need silver nitrate at the 6 week appt, cuz it's just not healing well. I'm still very tired, but only taking otc motrin for pain. Sleep *****! It's just not happening. Today I had them call in a prescription for Ambien. I hope it works! Good news-no infection and never has been one. My body just doesn't like to heal. This same thing happened after my first c-section, yet my 2nd closed just fine. Who knows? It's not in my hands and I just have to be patient as tough as it is! Things are just stressful right now too. My mom started chemo last week and I'm kinda just a mess in general so don't let this post fool ya. I'm trying to convince myself!
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Hi

Yeah, I got infections in 2 areas of my incision, one is healed now
and the other still has maybe another two weeks or so. I'm sleeping better now that I can get on my side, I have a small pillow I hold close to my belly. Swelly Belly now thats another thing my belly seems to be bigger than before my surgery he took out a fibroid about the size of a volleyball, But I guess thats going to be around for awhile from what I hear.

Lori
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Im dealing with military docs so its so much harder. I did the silver nitrate last week and it didn't work...only difference was the discharge from the wound was grey and it had an icky smell....lol

I think im going to go thru my regular doc for the sleeping issue and this new horrible pain in my back...im thinking maybe kidney infection....

Best luck ladies....will keep you posted
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM

I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow. Still having complications...blew out some internal stitches in the "cuff" 2 weeks ago. So spent 5 more days in the hospital. Now I have a lot of pelvic pain and achy hip syndrome. But I guess that is normal. I go tomorrow for another ultrasound, I'm spotting, which had completely stopped. Sleep is a joke...love the naps during the day! Now the doctor tells me they stitched me up wrong so sometime in about 6 months have to go for another procedure. There are days where I feel like I whine alot...I was never a whiner...I always felt like inside I was telling people to "suck it up"...I have learned empathy.
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:10 PM
5 weeks....sorry so long

Hi.....
I will be 5 weeks this Thursday.
I had a TAH/BSO and came home on 1/8. Was doing alright from all the posts I had read......except sleep......it just was not happening. Never had any real issues with gas or constipation, thank goodness.
Move forward....Sat. 1/15 notice a strange "knot", right in the middle of abdomen, in between belly button and insicion......mentioned in a previous post......called Dr and was told to use heating pad......vomitted all night, ran fever, incision leaked. Sun 1/16 off to ER. Readmitted to the "wonderful" Castle. Spent a total of 16 days....came home 2/1. I had an infection in the inside vertical incision. 1 surgery to open wound, clean it and put on a wound vac. 2nd surgery I thought was to close wound......didnt happen, more dead tissue removed and back on wound vac. 3rd surgery was on 1/1 to finally close wound......left with a drain. During all this my kidneys to start acting up.......threatened with a round of dialysis if they didnt start to level or creatinine level start coming down......the next day they leveled.......thank-goodness.
I still have sutures to be removed next week. Did come home and once all the phenegran and zofran was out of my system, started back to vomitting. Feet swelled so bad could hardly walk.
Did some researching and finally figured the one constant through all this vomitting was my climara patch. Took it off Sat. morning........I feel almost NORMAL again!!!!! What a great feeling. Sunday I even made lasagna, salad and garlic bread, and the best part is it stayed down!
I actually did a little light cleaning today and showed interest in scrapbooking.
I go to gyn. tomorrow and am mentioning I took off the patch, but I never could take BC pills 25 years ago either......they all made me sick.
So here is to healing and feeling strength in numbers! Because without this site and all the wonderful "sisters" I would have probably really been banging my head a few times.
Love and peace to all.
Nora
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:30 PM

Tomorrow is my five week anniversary, and I feel great! I am still at home, taking it very, very easy. I'm doing a few things around the house like dishes and folding laundry. I'm so glad that for once I took everyone's advice and took it easy. I'm a person who tends to do a lot, despite being tired or in pain, but this was different. I've spent the past five weeks just relaxing, and I'm sure that's why I feel so good. I see the doc on Friday, and I'm thinking that she'll clear me to drive and return to work part time. Hope you all are doing well.
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:46 PM

Today is my 5 week anniversary, too, and I thought everything was going just fine; however, these past couple of days, I've been more tired and my "normal, post-surgery discharge" is starting to change colors (back to pink/brown) and I'm have a little more aches and throbbing sensations inside. (see thread about the golf ball https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=186848)

I hope tonight's rest will help me feel better.

I've read varying posts about the discharge. Some say that the yellow-ish discharge is normal and it's from the stitches dissolving. Some say it's not normal... Now that mine is changing colors, I'm not sure just what's normal.

Anyhow, I've been walking a lot and doing light chores, but I'm not back to work yet. Supposed to get cleared this Friday for return on the 14th.

Will keep you posted.

Thank you so much for all your information.

Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register