Question about Metamucil. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Metamucil. Question about Metamucil.

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Question about Metamucil and gas pains.

My doctor has recomended that I start taking Metamucil. I have hasd problems with IBS for the past 10 yrs. When it started, I was IBS-D, now I am IBS-C. I thought that IBS-D was bad, if I had a choice, I think I would take that over the constipation!!!! Anyway, I started the Metamucil yesterday, but decided to try the crackers first. The thought of drinking that gritty stuff still grosses me out. Well, yesterday evening I started having the worst gas pains, just like after my surgery. I am still having them today. I havent taken the Metamucil today. Could the Metamucil still be giving me this much trouble with gas from when I took it yesterday? I know I need to take this Metamucil and I want to, but I dont want to have to deal with this horrible gas everyday!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Question about Metamucil.

{{{{{Jenny}}}}} I have been taking Metamucil for almost 2 years now due to IBS-D. I have never had the gas pains that you describe and it could be from the Metamucil or from just the fact that if you are constipated your bowels need to get rid of the stool. I was told that if you need to take a fiber supplement to use the "gritty" stuff as you call it for IBS-D and the pills for IBS-C. Just some info for you. Good luck hun, I would stick with it unless the gas pains are too bad, then I would check with your doctor. Good luck to you! IBS in any form is NOT fun!

Emily s
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Jenny, jenny, jenny,
You poor thing! What now? IBS-C? that stinks!
The metamucil could be causing the gas, why not call your doc and ask if you can use any type of fiber supplement and find one that doesn't cause much gas...I know they advertise one, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one!
Now on the other hand, it could be the gas that has built up behind the blockage that is coming out...just remember, passing gas means your bowels are moving! Are you passing the gas or is it staying in? If it continues to stay in and you are not having any BM's, then please call your doc, he may want to try something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 03:48 PM

I completely understand, I am in the same boat. I was IBS-D did a complete flip-flop to IBS-C. I would also rather have the first that this. I take the pill form rather than drinking it, as long as I take it every night it is ok, but if I miss even 1 day then I seem to shut down and everything backs right back up. I don't have the gas pains like you are having, have you tried any other forms of fiber? You might try changing, that might just be one you can't do. If it doesn't resolve, please call your DR.

Heather
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:50 PM

I have also started taking the metamucil in the last few days. The first 24 hrs. I was a little gassy, not nothing to major. After that things started moving regularly. I take the gritty stuff, but I mix it in with warmed up cranberry/apple juice or my orange herbal hot tea. I bought an off-brand from wal-mart (orange flavor) and it's not to bad if I add a little splenda with it. I think the brand the other gal was thinking about might be Citrucel. I was told to take that after my surgery. It does have less cramping, but was at least double the price.
Unread 02-07-2005, 05:18 PM

I started with the Metamucil because my doctor seems to think that is the best one to start with. I thought I had heard the fiber can cause gas and bloating when you first start taking it. She said if the Metamucil doesnt work, to try the Citracel next. I think its Benefiber that is supposed to be better as far as causing gas, and that one wont go gritty on you. I did have a BM yesterday, first one since Tues. My doctor is really pushing me getting on this fiber regimen(?) and staying with it. When I saw her last week, I told her that not only am I constipated, but I have to push on the area between my vagina and rectum to actually get things out. (Im sorry if this is too much info.) So I think she is worried about a rectocele developing. So, I dont know if the gas pains are from the Metamucil, or the fact that maybe I didnt get everything out yesterday when I did have a BM, or that maybe I do have a rectocele and it is causing the gas pains to be trapped. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and ask her. I just like asking here too!!

Thank you ladies!!!!
Unread 02-08-2005, 06:54 AM

Jenny,

I know of that bulge between the rectum and vagina in the perianal area--I too have a rectocele and I probably have had it a while but I have always had loose normal stool and since being on all this pain med. my stools have hardened up and that is how I found it, so I eat a pack of oatmeal every night before bed and I haven't had a problem with it since then, maybe once. That is extremely painful and diff to deal with, I also have the bulge in my vagina when I get constipated and the stool gets "trapped" in those areas.
Unread 02-08-2005, 08:13 AM

So, I would assume that gas can get trapped also? I am still having the gas pains even though I did not take the Metamucil yesterday. Of course, I havent had a BM since Sun. night either.
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:09 AM

My dr. told me I need to add fiber supplements since my posterior repair two weeks ago. He told me to use colace and said he knew I used Benefiber and that would be ok. It isn't gritty and you can add it to liquid or food. It has no taste either and seems to work fine.
Way back in may when I had a bowel impaction after my hyst the gastroenterologist ordered me Miralax, which is mild and works good. he also had me on colace and metamucil.
You just have to try things and see which works best for you.
Peggy
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:50 PM

With Metamucil (or any fiber supplement), it's important to drink at least 12 oz. water with a single dose, and really try to get your 8-10 glasses of water a day. Metamucil works for both constipation and diarrhea: it absorbs water with diarrhea, and adds bulk if you are constipated. some side benefits can be a lowering of blood cholesterol levels, so if you have a tendency towards high cholesterol you get a bonus.

It takes a few days to get your system used to Metamucil. I started with a single daily dose, then went to twice a day. You can buy generic Metamucil (psyllium) at many stores (Costco, Fred Meyer, Albertsons, Safeway, etc.) Just check the ingredients. I buy the sugar-free variety. You can get some varieties that are instant dissolving, too, and non-gritty ones. Metamucil is a different kind of fiber from some of the others (Citrucel, Benefiber) so it's probably good to give it a few weeks trial before switching.

It does take time to adapt to the fiber if your system isn't used to it - but it will!

DH has been using it for years; just recently our 23-year-old DS started it and was so impressed, he's been "converting" his friends to it! (he's had some pretty entertaining discussions with his friends recently!)

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register