Sit ups ok - is he kidding?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sit ups ok - is he kidding?? Sit ups ok - is he kidding??

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Sit ups ok - is he kidding??

Hello Sisters!

I had my post-op follow up appt today at 26 days (just short of 4 weeks). The doc said I was healing very well (wooohooo!) and that I was cleared for everything except sex (need to wait another wks for that).

He even mentioned sit ups and crunches specifically saying they would help to rebuild strength in my abdominal muscles. Is he kidding??? I asked him about it at least 5 times during the exam because I couldn't believe it!

I'm doing pretty good with other activities, walking 2 - 3 miles per day, light house work, fixing meals, lifting 10 lb hand weights, etc...

BUT I don't know about the rest of you ladies, just the thought of sit ups right now makes me woozy!

And crunches? I told him it felt like I was doing crunches right now! ha, ha!

Did any of you with abdominal incisions from TAH start doing situps at 4 weeks? If so, how did it go? If there are other physical activities you did at 4 weeks I'd like to hear about those too (elliptical machines? jogging? others?)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Ouch!! no way I was doing sit ups at 4 weeks post - I say do what your comfortable with, soon to be 5 mo post myself and I am only just beginning to think about doing sit ups - working out at Curves have been doing most of the machines working my self into it slowly, I must say this has been a slow recovery but gets better each month !!

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:26 PM

What's a sit up?

Haven't done one of those in a LONG TIME! At four weeks post op, it would have never entered my mind to start doing crunches!

We all say to consult your doc when it comes to exercise, but I question his theory on how doing crunches will help strengthen your abs, when all your insides are being held together with thread!!

Not to go against what you have been told by your doc, but if it were me...I wouldn't be too quick to start with the crunches. You will have plenty of chances to work on your abs further down the recovery road....

I vote for healing a few more weeks...

Best wishes,

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 08:41 PM

I think i was around 5-6 weeks doing situps, i was surprised at how little it actually hurt. I started with one, than the next day two, than the next day 5, than 10, and before you new it, i was doing 50 a night, at 4 mores its more like 100 or so per day. I'm running too, but I still CANT ride a bike to much pressure and hurts like the dickens. Pumping weights up to 85 pounds, leg weights 120 pounds, but i can't do the bike, go figure. i also swim laps no pain their either. Everyone is different. I know that it took me a few years before I could do situps after my c sections, so I was surprised that i could do them so early. Mind you i do most of them in bed, so as not to hurt my lower back (buldging disk)
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:41 PM

I'm just at 9 weeks, and have just started doing a few, A FEW, crunches!! But definately not sit up's!!!That's still way out of my league!! I have been walking on a tread mill, and riding a stationery bike, (when swelly belly allows) for the past week. It is going great, but i'm not pushing it at all!!! My daughter also sent me "the Zone" work out; the one with the big ball, and i'm doing the 25 min workout, and it is a really good overall workout without alot of strenuous reps and jumping around. I say don't try anything if it is uncomfortable in any way!!! Your body will let you know when it is ready. My dr told me that I could start doing a few ab exercises when I could "easily" get up from a chair or out of bed . Good luck!!bb
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:41 PM

My surgeon sounds like a clone of yours. At my 4 week post op he cleared me for all activity. I complained about my swelly belly and he told me to get going on leg lifts and sit ups. I live in Minnesota so I asked him if I could go skiing over the upcoming weekend and he told me that was fine. He said I wouldn't be causing any damage to anything. (Now, I just threw that out there as I had absolutely no intention of hitting the ski slopes at 4 weeks post op.) I began walking ASAP and now walk about 3 miles a day. I was cleared to work out on my eliptical machine but I've been taking that slow.

I went into this surgery in great shape but there is no way I can do sit ups at this point. I called my reg MD and ran it by him and he said "no way are you going to do sit ups yet." Nor did he want me doing any heavy duty workouts or exercise. I asked him about the surgeon's response to swelly belly and he candidly told me that the surgeon didn't know what to do about it that's why he told me to begin doing sit ups. Bottom line: Do what feels okay and don't over due. When you do, you pay for it later. My stomach makes me look like the daughter of Burl Ives at times. It's driving me nuts!!! I WANT IT TO GO AWAY!!!!

Songtch
SAH, 12/23/05, removed football sized fibroid, kept ovaries, age 45
Unread 02-09-2005, 04:59 AM

My doctor released me for swimming at 4 weeks. Before my SAH I would think that swimming does nothing for my abs and I should start using some of those machines at the gym instead of looking at them on the way to the pool. My first swim I found out you do use those ab muscles when you swim because boy did it pull. Before surgery I was swimming 1 mile (72 laps), at 4 weeks post I did swim 1/2 mile and my abs felt every stroke. Each day I addecd 6 laps until I got back to a mile. I still walk by those machines and look but now I have a reason for not wanting to try them--it's because there was a TV show on the bacteria and germs on those machines. The TV show actually said the pool was the only clean place in a gym because of the chemicals they have to add. Now I have to get over my phobia of germs because I really want to use the bowflex!
Unread 02-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Hi cpierce,

Your thought on germs made me laugh. I notice I am still washing my hands way more than before this all started--even if I scratch my dog. Maybe because all the drainage and a lingering infection make me think twice. But here's a thought which I have had confirmed from several place and now believe to be true: you have more cells of bacteria and other co-existing organisms in you than you have of your own cells (Bill Bryson give numbers in a "Short History of Nearly Everything" and it is not by a small margin). I can't decide if this truth should make me more freaked out, or if this is definitely the "one more drop in an ocean" argument... But I wager the bowflex will do more good for you than a few germs will do harm. Maybe you could bring a cleaning spray along with you and swipe the seat.

P.S. a personal campaign of mine: for heaven's sake do not use those biocidal disinfecting soaps, since bacteria evolve really fast and the omnipresent bactericidal soaps are not proven better than normal soap at cleaning but they do have the potential to Darwinistically trigger "super bugs" resistant to the bactericides in the places where they are important parts of the health control regimen.
Unread 02-09-2005, 06:08 AM
exercise after

I think it is a good idea to run things by your doc, but also to do what you feel like. I was cleared for everything at 4 weeks, and I had a TAH rectocele repair and full abdominoplasty.

I did golf, swim laps up to a mile, the cross trainer machine and started back on the strength and weight machines. I could NOT do the abdominal machine at anywhere near preop weights. I still am not all the way back up there on that one yet and I am more than 7 months post op. The trainer at the Y said to start at about 5 months before surgery levels for the weights and work back into them slowly. He also said to remember to breathe-hernias happen with holding your breath while lifting.

I could not jog-(but then I always hated that so no problem). I tried bike riding outdoors, but it was not very comfortable. By 8 weeks post op I was bike riding for 10-15 miles at a time, but not at 4 weeks.
We all need to do something for our bones-weight bearing type exercise is what the doc said was best.
Good luck
Unread 02-09-2005, 09:49 AM

I love to lift weights and have a trainer. (No, I don't look bulky, I try to keep trim and toned and feel better physcially since I lift weights) This is how I conditioned myself for the surgery. My doc did clear me for exercise at my three week mark, as long as I stop if I feel it too much, my trainer said I could start again after about 6 weeks. I myself, will probably start back 9-12 weeks post op with the weights again. I don't want to take any chances after such a major surgery. I will start stretching and ball exercises probably at the 6 week mark, but my true workouts are on the back burner for now.

Jeanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register