Sit ups ok - is he kidding?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sit ups ok - is he kidding?? Sit ups ok - is he kidding??

Unread 02-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Sit ups ok - is he kidding??

Our gym has cleaning bottles and huge wipes lined up just inside the door. I use them before, and after, each machine. (I spray the wipe [so as to not hurt the machine with direct contact], and then wipe down everything that I've touched or will touch.) And I see everyone else using them too. You might suggest to your gym that they start something like that, to cut down on germs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 12:43 PM

I had a TAH. My doctor released me for exercise quite early. I was released for walking and steps until I got tired before I even came home from the hospital, swimming at 2 weeks, power walking at 3 and crunches at 4 weeks. By six weeks I was running again at a pretty good endurance level. I think it really helped me alot not just with my moods but also in my overall healing process. It has been almost one year and I have never battled swelly belly, or skin hanging over my incision site. My abs came right back and my body is the same shape as it was before my surgery, so for me when the doctor released me I got right back in there and started working out. So I say if your doctor released you, go for it and at least try. If you were not doing ab work though before your surgery I would not go too far too fast. You may want to use a stability ball for ab work, that is what I used and I know they work.
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for their great comments and insight! I hear what you all are saying about listening to your body and not to do it if it really feels like too much.

**Wow** luv2run - what an athlete you are, bravo for keeping in such good shape, you are an inspiration!

I'm still walking 2 - 3 miles per day and now added another 2 miles on the elliptical machine. I started only at half the resistance and little more than half the speed I did pre-op, and will gradually increase. I also "slow" jogged at about 5 miles per hour on the treadmill for only 1/2 mile to see how it went. I did ok and will gradually increase that as well.

As for the sit ups....I managed to lay down and give it a try but my muscles just wouldn't cooperate! It didn't hurt, I just couldn't find any abdominal strength...I used to do about 50 sit ups per day pre-op but I just couldn't lift myself up. I did manage a few tiny half crunches so will keep trying.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Speedy recoveries to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 10:22 PM

I tried a FEW crunches at just over 6 weeks! The following night I was up all night in pain! My DH was not pleased! He told me I was still healing what was I thinking!
Unread 02-10-2005, 04:50 AM

Dear God, I can't imagine doing a sit-up. I had my surgery on January 18th and I still get sharp pains when I sit up from a lying position. I have to grab on to something to get my butt up! BUT, I had an umbilical hernia repair on October 8th so I'm still recovering from two surgeries. The hernia repair was actually a triple hernia repair and they put in a mesh thingie. I can't imagine a *******' sit up. Really, though, other than sitting up, I feel great. I can walk very well, do most housework and I've been thinking about buying a rebounder (mini trampoline) in another week. It's just the thought of situps makes me want to cry! I don't see that for myself for at least another month. My best advice is to listen to your BODY. If it says no situps, then listen to it because it knows what it needs! Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register