Awakening during surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Awakening during surgery Awakening during surgery

Unread 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Awakening during surgery

I opted for spinal anesthesia for this last surgery of mine. I couldn't bare having another tube down my throat. I had one during my TAH in May, one during my EGD in Aug. and one during my GB surgery in Sept. Enough was enough. I was quite pleased with the surgery being done under spinal. I will opt for it again if I end up needing this suspension or anterior repair for the cystocele. I talked and joked with my dr. I realized just how cool he is. He laughed alot and made me feel I was in safe hands. The rest of the surgery staff was very nice too, especially the anesthesiaologist woman.She seemed familiar from somewhere.
I had no worry of suddenly awakening during surgery. I was quite aware of most things going on. The time went fast too!

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Awakening during surgery

Most folks are awakened (at least to some degree) in the operating room immediately after surgery. The counting happens at the end of surgery when the OR staff is making sure that all the equipment is where it should be.
Unread 02-09-2005, 03:51 AM
Awakening during surgery

I had a LEEP done 12/12/2003 , I woke up in the middle and tried to set up, someone grabbed my shoulder pushed me back down and I went out again. During my Historectomy Friday 2/4/05 I remember something not sure when it happened but it was almost like a seizure, I could see and feel myself convulsing and a nurse saying here she goes thats all I remember. I will be asking my doctor about this when I see him next week.
Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Awakening during surgery

I am a big wuss. There is no way I could have any type of surgery by spinal..LOL
I guess I have to much anxiety about knowing too much (RN)
Sometimes knowledge is a bad thing.
I remember when I had an ingrown toenail and it was killing me at work being on my feet for 10-12 hrs. I remember speaking to one of my surgeon friends and he said that he could remove it for me. It hurt so bad, so I said yes and I asked him howlong I would be under, then he told me he would do it locally. I said NO WAY!..LOL
So I soaked it and soaked it and soaked it and finally got it released..LOL...He told me I was a wuss too
Unread 02-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Awakening during surgery

After reading some of your descriptions, I'm wondering if that's what happened to me when I had my 2nd son via c-section. I had a really bad head cold, and I remember waking up at one point, and I still had the tube down my throat, which I guess isn't supposed to happen. I was trying to breathe around the tube instead of through it, so I don't know if maybe there wasn't any air coming through it? Anyhoo, from my cold there was this ick that had gathered around the tube, so it was like trying to breathe unsuccessfully through glue or something.

I remember people grabbing my hand and saying, "Angela, squeeze my hand! Angela, can you hear me? Angela squeeze my hand!" And i tried and tried but I couldn't. And then I heard air rushing past my ears and I was either put out or passed out, I don't know which. I remember thinking, "Did I have my baby yet? Am I dying? This is great, I'm dying and I don't even know if I had a boy or a girl, and if the baby is OK."

The wierdest part is that I woke up again in recovery, minus the tube, and it was like I was suddenly dropped onto the table. I mean one second I was asleep and the next second, I was awake! So I opened my eyes, stared at the ceiling for a second, and uttered these words, and I Am Not Making This Up - "You know why blondes don't breast-feed? It hurts too much to boil your nipples." And then, according to my husband, I promptly went back to sleep! I guess the nurses were really astounded, and asked if that was normal for me, and my husband said, "Yeah, I think she'll be all right." Whatta hoot!
Unread 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Awakening during surgery

ahorn... Blonde jokes post op...too funny!!

Jennifer
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Awakening during surgery

I had general anesthesia for an upper endoscopy, and woke up in the middle of it. I was in such severe pain that I tried to rip the camera tube out of my throat. The doc and nurse were screaming at me to stop. The A-man managed to put me under again pretty quickly.

I was traumatized by it for a long time. I was actually mad at them for screaming at me, even though it was perfectly normal for them to do that. I guess I was mad that they didn't try to comfort me or to apologize whatsoever.

I had many surgeries after that, and I was so afraid that I would try to fight, that I didn't want to have any local anethestics - only general.

Time does heal all wounds, and I had forgotten about it until I saw this post.
Unread 02-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Awakening during surgery

Quote:
Originally posted by Ravenna3
[BI was in such severe pain that I tried to rip the camera tube out of my throat. The doc and nurse were screaming at me to stop. The A-man managed to put me under again pretty quickly.

I was traumatized by it for a long time. I was actually mad at them for screaming at me, even though it was perfectly normal for them to do that. I guess I was mad that they didn't try to comfort me or to apologize whatsoever.

[/b]
I am so sorry that you went through that. It was normal for them to do that as if you had really grabbed hold and started pulling you could have torn your esophagus. They should have apologized though after it was said and done and explained it all to you, why they were freaking out, etc.
Glad the A-man got you back under quickly.
I am sure it was very scary for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register