No HRT for six months post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No HRT for six months post-op No HRT for six months post-op

Unread 02-09-2005, 08:07 AM
No HRT for six months post-op

I am scheduled for TAH soon and was told I will not be given estrogen for six months following surgery. I have stage 4 endo and they want to make certain nothing grows back. I will be given progestin. I am 36. I am very worried about what to expect. What will I feel like? What will my mood be like? What will my body be like? Can anyone put my mind at ease!?!
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Well...I want to be helpful and tell you what you are asking to hear, but I'm afraid of sounding too negative. All you have to do is read the posts throughout this website and you'll have an idea of what you might expect. At least you'll be able to take hormones in six months. There are women here in their 30s who can't. A few of them also thought they could take the hormones then ended up having blood clots and had to come off the hormones. How much time before your surgery? I'm going to do for you what I wish someone had done for me and warn you.

Can you get a copy of Dr. John Lee's book: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause and read that?

I'm 11 years older than you, so all I can say is that it isn't horrible for me all the time. But there are moments when I just want to cry thinking about what I've done. That's probably an hour out of 24 that I feel like that. So, the symptoms come and go (hot flashes, night sweats, pounding heart, dizziness, short-term memory loss). Some come and stay (dry hair, dry skin and mucous membranes).

I've been told by my doctor that I shouldn't take estrogen. So, I'm dealing with it with over-the-counter stuff. I think women with endo can't take some of those, however.

Bottom line is do your research. Like so many before me have said here, everyone is different. Some women say that they felt so horrible before their surgery that the surgical menopause symptoms are nothing.

Maybe you'll hear from some of them.

Take care!
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:08 AM

One thing you have to remember about the posts here is that women with problems are the ones who post. The women who breeze through have no reason to come here. If you look at the post-op board, teh volume of women passing through the site is much larger than the ones who post here and in the Jungle, so there are a lot of people who make it through ok.

And the answer is, no one can say what you can expect. Every woman's reaction to all this is very different. You might talk to your doctor about taking an SSRI antidepressant--maybe starting before surgery. They affect the hypothalamus in some of the same ways that estrogen does. Endo makes its own estrogen, so the sudden drop may be particularly strong for you, and it's the drop as much as the low levels that can set off problems. If you were already on something it might ease you down better.

One reason I say that was I happened to be on Wellbutrin and when I was off hrt for six months, I didn't have many problems at all. I too was older.

By the way, you probably won't be on natural progesterone, and you don't really want to be with that level of endo. It converts into other forms--especially estrogen. You want to take the form the doctor suggests. Progestins don't convert, which in your case is a good thing. You want to kill the endo beast once and for all!

While Dr. Lee's book is useful, he's a true believer, especially when he wrote it when no one had an interest in progesterone. It's helped a lot of women here over the years. But, he overstates the amount and quality of research on natural progesterone. There still isn't great research on it, beyond the PEPI trials. I used it myself and I do believe in it, but he doesn't really acknowledge that women are different with different reactions and different health needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 08:02 AM

Thank you both for your insights. I have talked to so many people and it is obvious everyone is different. I was just hoping to calm myself. Sometimes I think I am more concerned about not taking estrogen for six months, than I am about the surgery itself. Weird, huh! If I can ask, how would you describe your desire, sexually? I have had little interest lately, as the pain makes it the last thing I want to do. I was hoping that, after recovering, of course, things would be better. But then I started wondering if this lack of estrogen would lessen my desire. Any thoughts?
Unread 02-10-2005, 08:40 PM

I was pretty much the same right after the surgery. But now, well what you heard is true. A lot less desire...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register