Complex Hyperplasia w/Atypia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complex Hyperplasia w/Atypia Complex Hyperplasia w/Atypia

Unread 01-26-2001, 01:30 PM
Complex Hyperplasia w/Atypia

Just wanted to point out that that your doctor may be right and it isn't cancer...you're hearing from women for whom it was cancer because those are the women who are logging onto this board -- either because we have or we fear having cancer. But it sounds like you have gotten a lot of terrific information from the sisters. Bottom line is you really can't know until surgery and it is what it is... and either way you are on top of it and sounds like you are in a good position to handle recovery. I wish you peace, health and strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2001, 10:26 PM

Thanks Jennifer,

You've made a good point. Everyone is different and my outcome could be very different.

Thanks for the support!

Diana
Unread 01-27-2001, 08:34 PM

Hi Diana:

I wasn't diagnosed with the same thing you were. I had invasive cervical cancer. I am overweight though. I hate to admit how much (60 lbs), but this is one place I really don't mind telling anyone anything.

I had a radical hysterectomy with about 2 dozen pelvic lymph nodes also removed. I had had a previous abdominal surgery about 37 years ago (I was 5), so the oncologist decided to go with a horizontal incision. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I don't remember too much of the first 2. Loved that morphene drip!!!!! Honestly, the surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It wasn't that great, but it really was manageable. I did feel much better (I could lay in bed to sleep) after I had all the staples removed.

Hope all goes well with your surgery. I'll be thinking about you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2001, 05:01 AM
The magic button!

Thanks Linda for the sense of humor. I bonded with you right away, because I keep telling my family, just make sure that I get one of those buttons that you keep in your hand so all you have to do is push it for pain!! I've never taken drugs not even smoked pot, but when I think of pain that morphine drip sounds wonderful.
Unread 01-31-2001, 10:43 AM
Hyperplasia w/ atypia

dbaukus, a little more than three weeks ago, I was in the exact same place you are today: sitting with the diagnosis of hyperplasia w/ atypia, facing surgery, and scared to death. Like you, I decided to go into it expecting the worst, so if it were not, I could be surprised and happy. It was the most difficult time in my entire life. As someone else pointed out, do not forget that most of the people who have posted here are likely to be here because they DO have cancer. However, seven out of ten hysterectomies performed for our diagnosis turn out to be non-cancerous. My case was one of the 70% with a happy ending. A couple other things: first, if you do turn out not to have cancer, I am sure you will feel like the most thankful person on earth. In spite of that, be prepared that you still may need time to emotionally heal from the trauma you are experiencing right now. That was the one thing that surprised me the most. I am doing great now--really great, but it took some time, and the fact that I'm sitting here crying my eyes out as I write this to you is evidence that it is all still pretty fresh in my memory. I will pray for you, and I wish you the best.
Also, my hyperplasia was discovered through an AGCUS (Atypical Glandular Cells of Undetermined Significance) pap smear result. I am currently working on an article about AGCUS results--if anyone out there has ever had a pap come back with AGCUS, I would love to hear from you.
Unread 01-31-2001, 06:44 PM

Hi Diana,

I just had my hysterectomy last October. Everything went so smooth-I feel like I was the poster child for healing. I was 150 lbs overweight and my doctor did not want to do surgery because he was worried about infection at the incision, since my belly hangs down rather large. By the way, I had the bikini cut.

I had severe hyperplasia but I don't know what type it was. I was so worried how bad it would hurt after surgery & how I would heal because of my size. I just didn't know what to expect. The pain wasn't anything I couldn't handle. They took out my staples 2 days after surgery and I never felt it at all. Nor did I feel the catheder inside me or when they took it out.

I did find out through the pathology report I have endometrial cancer. Type 2-3 tumor. I don't know what stage because they didn't see it till it was too late to diagnose. The tumor was 3/4 the way through the outer uterine wall. So off I went for 25 days for radiation and then 2 hi-dose treatments. The radiation did NOT affect me by making me tired as it does so many people. I was so fortunate since I am a hairstylist. Also, I went back to work full time after only 4 weeks off from surgery. I actually went into work 3 days after I came home from the hospital to do payroll. I was not tired at all and scheduled myself completely booked as soon as I was back. I could have gone back in 3weeks but I know I had to give myself time to heal. I was completely pain free on the 8th day after surgery.

I know this is so scarey-I was pretty nervous before going in. It was so easy for me. I would not be nervous if I had the chance to do it over again, but of course, that will never happen. Good luck to you! It wasn't even half as bad as everybody warned me it would be.

Beth
Unread 01-31-2001, 08:59 PM

wrtrgrl, thanks so much for your wonderful reply. You sure made me feel much better. You are the first one that has emailed me that was Cancer free. I am still going into this with an open mind and that being that the chances of this being Cancer is great and if I don't have Cancer I will be pleasantly surprised. I do think we worry more than we ever realize we do and I can relate to your delayed reaction. But it's good you see that and can cry and get it out. Sometimes a good cry feels good and you feel at piece after it's over. Again thanks so much!!!

Bethler, you really helped my out too. I'm about 125 lbs overweight and I have been very worried about surgery with my size. I've never ever had surgery either so I really don't know what to expect. However, it has to be done and I'm going to just do it and take care of myself the best I can. The doctor told me that they do this surgery on many over weight women. She said the healing process can be a little worse due to weight but not that bad.

Again ladies thank you so much for your help, it means a lot!!

Diana
Unread 01-31-2001, 09:38 PM

Diana: Just one more thing: even if it IS cancer, that isn't necessarily cause for great alarm. Endometrial cancer is a cancer with very high survival rates when caught early. If it were Stage I, 95% 5-year survival rate on average.

Beth: Wow! You're lucky your body handled all that so well! Unlucky, of course, for getting cancer in the first place, but at least you got through it well.
Unread 02-12-2001, 06:48 AM
Diana, thinking about you!

Diana, from reading the past messages, I see that you surgery is supposed to be Friday. I know it is going to seem like a long week for you, so I wanted you to know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. When you are feeling up to it, please let us know how everything went. Also, if you need a shoulder to cry on during the week, you know where to find me!
Unread 02-14-2001, 07:03 PM

Thanks so much for your caring. I have had this yukky allergy thing going stuffed head, severe coughing, etc. so I have to cancel my surgery date of Friday 16. She is going to be calling me with new date. It will only be about a week or so. Can't even imagine surgery with this horrible cough, OUCH!!!! Will let you know when I am rescheduled. I sure do appreciate the kind words it really makes a difference. Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register