Dr. said No Hormone Therapy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. said No Hormone Therapy Dr. said No Hormone Therapy

Unread 02-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Dr. said No Hormone Therapy

Hi All.. I am 3 1/2 weeks PO.. TAH removed everything.. I had my staples removed at the last visit and asked the doc about hormone therapy of some kind and he said NO.. nothing at all.. he claims that it is to big of a risk.. I ses that so many of you are on things like patches and what not.. Is there anyone else out there that did have everything removed and not placed on some kind of hormone treatment.. I am having such bad mood swings, feeling poor me, night sweats and so much more.. I am still housebound. No driving, can't cook or clean. Can't sit for any long amount of time and to top it off hubby gave me a mild case of the flu...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes

I also cannot use hormones due to my breast cancer history. I had TAH/BSO in November. In December I thought I would lose my mind due to the hotflashes and mood swings and insomnia. My OB/GYN put me on Effexor, an antidepressent. I told her I was not depressed, but she said that it would help. SHE WAS RIGHT! I will say it took a couple of weeks before I noticed any difference, but I have not used hormones and the hot flashes have all but disappeared. I occasionally have one but nothing I can't handle. My sleeping also improved. Good luck!
Unread 02-10-2005, 09:52 AM

I had tah on the 24 of jan.and my dr.also said no hrt?? so far i feel nothing different no hot flashes or mood swings,,, i keep waiting for something to happen i may feel a little hot at times but not really bad? but from what i have read it can take time, everyone is different, some people felt changes right out of the hospital, i went for my post op.tuesday the 8th of feb.and she said to wait and see about hrt. but i thought you needed it if you had ovarys removed???? i only had one left and wanted to keep it but she said it was like glued together with lots of scar tissue so it had to come out with everything else, i will just wait for the menapause to start i guess!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 10:15 AM

I was told no hormones for 6 months. My doc said by that time the rest of the endo should have died off. Meantime, I freeze by day and am on fire by night.
Can't wait to see how it is feeling this way during summer months.
Yippee!
Karen
Unread 02-10-2005, 08:40 PM

I had "everything" removed also on Jan 14. No mention of HRT, and I didn't even think to ask. I didn't have any symptoms of menopause before and I am thinking that it was maybe because I had such an abundance of estrogen due to the fact that I am overweight and I understand the fat stores it. I have always eaten a lot of soy so I wondered if that was fending off symptoms as well. Now I wonder if I should not have eaten so much soy and I wonder what to do now since I LOVE tofu.
When the test on the ovary came back, it was found that I had a stromal cell tumor, granulosa type. This is the hormone -producing area of the ovary and it was really producing estrogen overtime which then drained down into the uterus and caused the endometrial early stage malignancy there.
So I guess I was just swimming in estrogen.
Since the surgery I have had a few really yikky night sweats. That I don't like since I seldom feel cold anyway, just not sweaty. I have been experiencing some insomnia. I thought that part wouldn't bother me since I have always been a night person, but COME ON! Even after "I" was ready to go to bed, I would just lay there, conscious, until 3:30 am or so, long after I had decided to sleep (since I was getting up for work). Mind you, I am probably doing it to myself since after I get home from work I feel so tired I nap for a good couple of hours.
So far though, nothing has been too overly annoying. As yet I haven't had mood swings. I don't know how I'll deal with that if/when it occurs because I have always been a very "level" person. No one will know how to relate to me if that happens.
Can someone tell me why some of you are on HRT and some are "not allowed"?
Thanks
Unread 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM

I was not put on HRT. It's been an interesting time! I feel like my body is a science experiment. Sometimes I'm cold, sometimes I'm hot. Usually within the same 5 minutes. It's hard to explain, but knowing that it is all hormonal has given me some sense of power over it. I know it will pass as quickly as it started and I know that, considering everything else I've been through, it's a small price to pay.

Fortunately, I haven't had huge mood swings. But, I get weepy at the most unfortunate times. The things that bring me to tears are amazing. But once again, knowing why it happens gives me a sense of power over the whole experience. Once I acknowledge to myself (and whoever happens to be standing by) that it is a side effect of no HRT it makes it much more manageable.

At first I would try to figure out why whatever it was made me sad, but that only made it worse. I would dwell on what ever started the crying and that would lead to depression. Now I know that if I just admit it's my body reacting to the lack of hormones it makes it much easier for me...and for those who are around me. Now I start crying and DH will say "Science experiment?" If I say "yes", he understands that it is hormones and I have no idea why I'm crying. Fortunately I've never had to say "no". I have no idea what he would do!
Unread 02-10-2005, 10:52 PM

I have had hot flashes since i was 29 and I am 45 now and I just had my TAH BSO and I have had pms alot before surgery and get moody as I have depression, I did not have any hrt till day 4 and I seemed fine so I went with out the patch for a few days and I feel the same with the patch or without it so I am trying to figure out if I really need it as I have fibrocystic breast disease and they always hurt and I didnt know if estrogen makes it worse or not.
Thanks
Julie
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:20 PM

Tirza, sorry I missed your question in your post.

Many Drs don't want you on HRT immediately after surgery if you have endometriosis. There is some research that indicates that this reduces the chance of the endo returning. In my case, my Dr. wants me to not take HRT for 6 months...or longer if I can tolerate the symptoms of surgical menopause.

Women with a history of breast cancer usually are not allowed to have HRT.
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:24 PM

I had endo, so my doc will only allow minimal hormone therapy.

I had my first hot flash after waking up from surgery, right before I puked my guts out. Oh joy.

He put me on 1 mg oral Estradiol and 75 mg Effexor. They really help me alot. No more depression, no mood swings. I don't get hot flashes, but I do get very mild warm flashes. I know it's nothing to worry about, so I try to ignore them.
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:53 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but if I had endometrial cancer in the uterus and there is no more uterus (or ovaries or anything) then why is there a risk of it coming back-where??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register