5 months out...how are you doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 months out...how are you doing? 5 months out...how are you doing?

Unread 02-10-2005, 08:25 AM
5 months out...how are you doing?

I am doing ok, I guess. My energy level is good but my "staying power" after a long day poops out pretty quickly. My belly is still mildly "swelly", but no where near the same as it was. It does get more swollen and achey after a long day of activity. The worst thing that aggravates this is sitting too long, as in driving.
I use Traumeel cream when it gets bad and that relieves the swelling and aching some.

I went off ERT about 5 weeks ago...too many side effects that made me really ill. In that regard, I'd say I am fairing pretty well. Some brain fog lingers, but overall I feel much better off of it. I am 50 next week, so think that is likely why I am doing ok off of it.

I am starting back into being more active...walking, weights...I've laid off physical fitness activity for so long and I think that is most of why I tire easily and my body aches. I am hoping to start riding my bike again in March, as the weather improves. Hopefully then my energy will increase and my "bodily creaks" will lessen!

The 5 months really flew by, I know that. Also, I can see why they say it takes up to a year to really heal. I feel I've got a ways to go yet. I don't regret having the hyster...it is just a longer adjustment period than I would ever have imagined. But it's all so much better than it was!

Just wondering how you other 5-6 month Sisters are doing?

Love and

Deb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 08:38 AM

Hi Deb

I just past my 6 month mark. Doing pretty good. What is ERT? I see it mentioned alot but have no idea what it is. My staying power is not that good either, maybe it's our age. My DH laughed at me last night because I was ready for bed by 8:00. Glad to see your doing well. The time really does fly by doesn't it. Have a great day.

Cherri
Unread 02-10-2005, 10:04 AM

Hey deb, just checked the calender and realized I'm 6 months tomorrow. You're right - the time flew by. Overall, feeling pretty good, still get a few sore spots now and again when I've overdone it and if I press my tummy, it still feels like I'm pressing on a bruise inside, tenderlike. The funny numbness at the incision is still there but I've become completely used to not having a period! Out of sight, out of mind - couldn't tell you what they were like anymore. Still finding tampons stashed in my assortment of purses
Going to curves, lost a whole 5 lbs so far and I find the exercise reduces the swelly belly (I always feel slimmer after I work out).
Staying power is gone - I'm pooped by 9 but have to much to do before I can go to bed (probably why I sleep in most mornings!)
Well, we still have another 1/2 year to recup. Who'd have thought that it really took this long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 11:48 AM

hi deb- I am also five months out. Just went to see my gyn today because I am still sore-especially after a lot of lifting activity. he felt for ulcers and found none. said that I could have gotten some scarring, but to give myself some more healing time. I will. I am on estradiol and am doing well on it. Before my surgery I had been on prozac for extreme mood swings with pms. I tried to go off after the surgery, but went back on when both my husband and I noticed I was still struggling with moodiness. The prozac hampers my libido and I was hoping I could get off of it. spoke to my doctor about possibly putting me on testosterone to help my sex drive. He suggested lowering my dose of prozac first to see if that helps. If not, he said we could try the testosterone. other than the soreness and the seven pounds I have gained since being on the estradiol, I am feeling great. I was anemic and tired all the time before because of heavy bleeding. I am so glad I had this operation. I have no fear of ovarian cancer (aunt died from it), no longer suffer from pms, and the anemia with it's tiredness is gone. However, I will be much happier when I am no longer sore. Hope things continue to be well for you.

Jackie
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Hi Deb and other 5-6 month Sisters,
Well lots of good news from this sister, I can't remember when I last felt pain or discomfort. Started Curves a month ago lost 10lb and 5 inches , so happy with that, I find working out 6 times a week has improved my energy levels, still I take care of myself and if I need to put my feet up or have a nap ,I do, I'm alot more tuned to my body now and I listen to it. Sometimes I still do the pant check when I get up, wonder when that will stop?
I'm finally addressing my neck problems, bad posture and sleep positions are the cause , too many years of hunching over from my gyno problems, now I can stand upright, my chiro thinks with work I can kiss my persistant neck pain goodbye. Hrt is working well "so far" fingers crossed it continues, so all round I'm grateful the outcome exceeds any expectations I had ( don't think I had many) Wishing us all continued improvement in health and lots of Happiness
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Hi 5-6 monthers - I'm coming up on six months - have a check-up with the ONC/GYN next week. So far things have gone really well. I have more energy than I've had in ages - I was extremely anemic before the surgery with so much bleeding.

And let me tell you, I love not having a period. I actually returned two unopened boxes of tampons to the grocery store after my surgery and the girl looked at me funny - she said " Don't need these?" I proudly said - "not anymore - everythings gone." She was so shocked she apologized and I said - don't it's been a blessing in disguise. LOL!!

I now put the $10 a month I was paying for all the tampons and pads (I had to wear both and change both every two hours for the last year before surgery) as my mad spending money - I spend it on something fun each year - so far I have $60.

I don't have any pain and barely any hot flashes (can't do HRT due to the Cancer DX). I have been on and off with the exercise - I always feel better when I am exercising everyday, but I work two jobs and do volunteer work as well, so if I stay in bed more than 1/2 past 5 a.m. I don't have time for the exercise in the morning.

I do go to bed early - usually between 9 and 10, but since I'm up by 5:30 at the latest, I don't think I go to bed too early.

I do sometimes get weepy about not being able to have children (I don't have any - no husband to have them with either) but it hasn't been too bad - although I do change the channel when there are kids commercials or pregnant people on TV - I do have one friend who is pregnant and all the women I work with have children under 5, but it doesn't seem to bother me too much - they always seem to be out of their minds dealing with one job, kids and husbands - I like that I don't have to worry about getting people home and in bed at night or getting them up and out in the morning.

As long as the cancer is totally gone and I stay healthy, this is probably the best bad thing that every happened to me!

Yes, you can call me weird! Glad everyone else is going well - remember you have to take care of yourselves.

Cat
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:15 PM

Hey 5-6 monthers!

I just passed my fifth month (TAH/BSO on 10/8) and am sooo glad I had this surgery. I just have so much more energy, and this is kind of tmi, but I love being able to sleep au naturale without having to worry about bleeding through super plus tampons and pads during the night anymore. I LOVE it!!!

I'm still struggling a little bit with pain in the ligaments they cut and reattached, but hopefully, with time this too will pass. I'm not ready to do stomach exercises, but I try and walk a lot and stay busy. I'll never have the figure I had in my 20's, but as long as my husband is happy and my physicals come out normal, I'm happy.

I'm glad to hear such positive feedback.

-nmil
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:17 PM
pretty good

Hi,
Nice to hear from you ladies I "emailed with" before and right after surgery in September! I know I am thankful to have survived it OK!
I'm doing OK. My energy levels are pretty much up now and I joined Weight Watchers two weeks ago and I am determined not to give up. I need to lose about 30 pounds to be current with height/weight stuff, etc. Plus summer is coming and I want to look somewhat decent. I work out at Curves and do the Walk Away the Pounds videos.
I love not having a period. But I do have a pretty significant complication I now have a rectocele that popped up, so to speak, about three weeks after surgery. I may have to have surgery again to fix it but right now, I am managing with stool softeners and lots of fiber. Easy with a WW diet! ha. I also need to stick with low impact exercise; no running for me, siince I don't need to aggravate my prolapse! I am sometimes very aware of it and sometimes not. I have been very disappointed about it and I think if not for that I'd be feeling TERRIFIC. However, there are many more worse situations in the world to be in so I am thinking positive!
Regarding sex, the prolapse causes pain sometimes and that is probably why I feel nervous about it a lot. I just pray I don't have any more prolapse than this one and that I can lose the weight I need to lose.
Guess I have told you too much, but that's how it's going!
I hope all of you are doing well!
LCP
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:23 PM

Hi all....
I'm almost at the 5 month mark and I'm feelin fine... lol. I like you still get the occasional twinges from working out. But I feel better now then I have in a long time. My back occasionally acts up as well. But I have to remember that the exercising will strengthen it as I progress.. I've lost 7 pounds so far and don't miss Aunt Flo one bit. I did notice that while with DB that we have to take it easy. Just alittle bleeding, so I know it's still healing. Sometimes one forgets with the brain fog.

Take care all....

-----------------------------------------------
LAVH (kept ovaries) due to fibroid, endo, cyst and lower back pain.
Unread 02-10-2005, 02:44 PM

Hello Everyone!
I am 5 months out and am doing great! A few bumps in the road, but nothing I really cannot handle. The worse thing is the brain fog! I had 2 surguries within one month, one a breast biopsie, the other the TAH/BSO, and I am thinking it is from the anesthia. Do any of you have the same problem? Most days, I swear, they took my brain! I make stupid mistakes all the time, stop in mid-sentence and have to ask, what was I just talking about? Go into a room and can't remember what I went for, misplace things, go to the cupboard to put the milk away, I could go on and on!

I had to go off the estrogen, it made my blood pressure soar, and I got real dizzie.

Most days, I am great, but I still get real tired on the days I work, I am on my feet the whole day, so, I come home and rest. Hot flashes are really not an issue, but I am on Effexor and it is suppossed to help with those. I just get what I call mini-flashes.

I too am glad not to have those awful Aunt Flo's anymore! I don't have much of a sex drive, but then again, ask my DH, he will tell you , as all men do, I did not have much of one to begin with.

I am glad to hear everyone is doing well and continues to heal. Take care everyone...

Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register