How soon is too soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon is too soon? How soon is too soon?

Unread 02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
How soon is too soon?

I'm two weeks out (as of yesterday). A couple we know (my husband's best friend since he was four years old) are visiting our area for his wife's birthday. They called this morning and would like to go to dinner with us tonight.

So far, I've been out of the house once to help with grocery shopping (it was actually okay because I used one of those little motorized scooters that has the basket in front). I would love to see them, but am wondering if an outing of 3 hours or so is adviseable. I'm still in some pain, so no before dinner drinks (don't want to mix with pain meds).

My point--and I do have one-- is can someone give me an idea of what they were up to doing at this point? As it is, I'll be showing up at a very nice restaurant in sweats (can't and won't get any of my pants on over my swelly belly yet).

Thanks for all the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 05:44 PM
How soon is too soon?

I had company over at 2 weeks post-op and decided to get take-out for dinner. Going out was a bit too much for me. (I had had a friend take me out for coffee back then and that was too much at two weeks.) I found then and still now (almost 5 weeks post-op) that I have a hard time sitting for more than 45 minutes. It's just too uncomfortable-especially if you are decked out in your best 'duds'!

Last Sunday I went to church for the first time since the operation and wanted to go home after about 30 minutes! It was at least a 20 minute drive each way so was way past my limit after a 60 minute service. Also keep in mind that you will be out in the evening and you might tucker out really quickly at that point. (At two weeks post-op I was going to bed at about 8:30-9:00.)

Would you consider take-out and have DH set the table with a couple of candle sticks? I'm sure your friends will understand. That way you can go have conversation and dessert on the couch and still be comfy and you can still wear your stretchy clothes! Worse comes to worst, you can excuse yourself and go to bed.

If you do go out, bring any pain meds that you may need and you may want a cushion to sit on for the ride out and back from the restaurant. I found that I had to take it easy for a cople of days afterwards after any outings since outings were overdoing it for me.

Good Luck. Let me know how your evening goes. Enoy it no matter what you do.

ewok
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:21 PM
How soon is too soon?

Hi,

I had a TAH and was miserable at 2 weeks. Couldn't sit. Anyway, I just wanted to caution you about your risk of exposure. I've got a cold at 10 week post and my insides are hurting because of all the coughing.

If you decide to go out in the public just be as careful as you can, not to catch those viruses!!
Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 06:46 PM
2 weeks

dadrian I had the same surgery that you did on 1/26! The only difference is that I had perineal repair to correct a botched epsiotomy from years past. I went on Wed for my 1st outing against Dr orders to see my daughters state basketball tourney. I carried a soft seat to sit on and went straight home.
I had my two week check up today. Boy did I pay for it! My rectum and everything else was swollen beyond belief. It sure did make the exam tough. My recommendations are don't. It's not worth it.
Unread 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
How soon is too soon?

I couldn't have handled a 3 hour outing at two weeks, no way I could have sit for that long without laying down. Personally I wouldn't risk your chance to heal properly. I would explain to them that you just had surgery and see if maybe they could stop by your home for a visit.
Unread 02-11-2005, 12:20 PM
How soon is too soon?

We went - me carrying my two "squishy" pillows. When we got to the restaurant and I got out of the car with them, Debbie (that's our friends, Keith & Debbie) looked at them. I told them I'd had surgery two weeks ago - my DH, (I could wring his neck) hadn't told them beforehand!

They were as sweet as could be about it. Having my pillows made the seating comfortable, actually, and they made it clear that if I was getting tired or uncomfortable, we'd call it a night. I did need my heating pad when I got home, but it wasn't that bad.

I'm glad I went because they are lovely people and our oldest friends, and I love spending time with them; I also had some wonderful chicken piccata with a chocolate mousse for dessert. I'm up now to take a shower, but I'm curling up on my comfy couch to sleep in all day if I want.
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:21 AM
How soon is too soon?

Glad to hear you got out!

Happy to hear you that you had a good time!

Take it easy!

ewok
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:36 AM
How soon is too soon?

Actually the two week mark is when I started feeling great! You will probably be fine, but be prepared to be VERY TIRED for a few days afterwards. This is the frustrating stage....you feel great, then you do stuff because you feel so good, then you are dead tired afterwards. It's a vicious cycle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register