traumatized by a crappy nurse!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

traumatized by a crappy nurse!! traumatized by a crappy nurse!!

Unread 02-10-2005, 11:37 PM
traumatized by a crappy nurse!!

Peeing is hard to do after surgery without the trauma that you went through. I'd suggest, to try a few different things. Play your favorite music while in the bathroom. Run the water in the sink slowly. Put a small TV in the restroom to get your mind off peeing. Try to pee standing up while taking a shower??? Have your boyfriend fill a pan of really warm water for your feet while sitting on the toilet. Read the best seller while sitting??? anything sounding good yet?

Kisses to nurse Phil. Oh ya, send bf to hospital to ID the bad nurse. File a complaint to the board of trustees down to all departments. The hospital needs to investigate her and they need to document complaints. Next time you go to the hospital for care...............she won't be there. Now the thought of that ought to make you pee!!!!
I'm sorry for your awful experience. Thank heavens for your wonderful BF who helped you.
Best wishes,
Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2005, 12:05 AM

You most definately need to tell her supervisor or a hospital official! I had a "bad" experience with the nurse in the recovery room at the hospital immediatley after my surgery. I told my doc about it and all the nurses on my floor....wow...were they mad. I'm not even sure if he works there anymore after the way he treated me.

These people are supposed to take care of you and make you feel comfortable...not pressure you into doing things you don't wanna do....definately tell someone.

Take care!!!!!!

s,
Carrie
Unread 02-11-2005, 03:21 PM
crappy nurse..

I agree with all of you that it will come back around to the crappy nurse. Her name is Stacey and she currently works at the <oops! Admin snipped for privacy concerns> It is a private hospital. I just received a survey in the mail regarding my stay there. I will fill it out since I usually don't do surveys. I will also attach a letter to it regarding the situation with her poor care. I just keep thinking that she had no right to make me feel like I should be forced to do something that is painful just to pee. That is stupid. I am getting better at "going" and have still yet to achieve the big #2. But i think all is scared now and it will take time.

I guess I realize that her instructions with any recovering patient is to get them walking and up and going...but the instructions dont take into consideration for bad reactions to anesthetic etc... that is where she failed me as a care provider. I will keep my letter to a minimum and keep it simple.

thanks for the words of encouragement and advice...i just didn't know what to think of it all other than I feel abuse and traumatized by her actions. But time to get on with it - take it up and move over it too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2005, 03:52 PM

What a NIGHTMARE!!!!!

I'm so sorry that happened to you!!!

HUGS to you! In a major way!

--QB
Unread 02-11-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm glad you're going to voice your concerns in a letter to the hospital. I will be doing the same, although my situation wasn't nearly as extreme as yours. I had a nurse that kept telling me I needed to pee. When I was finally able to go, none of the nursing staff was available so my partner helped me to the bathroom. No one had told me I had to pee in that little measuring thing in the toilet (call me naive, but this was my first time in the hospital and I figured if they wanted me to pee in it someone should've told me, not to mention i was still quite out of it from the morphine). So I sat all the way back and peed as I normally would into the toilet. When the nurse finally came back to check on me, she berated me because I hadn't peed into the measuring device. My partner was surprised that I didn't set her straight right then, but unfortunately the pain meds had mellowed me out at the time. I thought about just letting it go, but I think the hospital should be made aware of nurses who are rude to the patients. We're coming out of surgery and doing the best we can, the last thing we need is someone who's supposed to be a caregiver jumping all over us like a maniac.
Unread 02-11-2005, 04:51 PM

You do not need to make the letter brief or leave any detail out. I am a registered nurse and I am sickened by the treatment you received!!!! This "nurse" should not be practicing, and I am dead serious.
One other thing I want you to do---call and get a copy of your entire record of your stay. You need to see what she documented on her shifts in her nurse's notes.
I hate for anyone to lose their job, but I am SOOOO SERIOUS here, this woman does not need to be working as a nurse. She is dangerous!!!!! You passed out all those times and never a doc called----crazy!!! You need to make your doc aware of this as well, I have known a few to demand that a certain person not take care of their patients. Sad but true.
Tell the whole story---all of it, you could be saving someone's life, literally.
I am truly sorry that you were treated that way.
I was also mistreated by a nurse during my last surgery. She did not know I was a nurse (I never tell them). It was 8 hours after a laparotomy removal of adhesions. She wanted me to get in the chair so she could make the bed. Okay no problem. Well it was the first time I got up and it hurt like heck and I started crying sitting in the chair. She said "you need to ask the doc to order you some Zoloft to help you get through this loss" I kind of looked at her like she was crazy and said "I am not depressed I am hurting" and I pushed my pain button. She pulled back my covers and said, well I see you haven't had any bleeding, that is good, let me know when you do though"....what the??????
Then it hit me! She thought I had a hyst!!!! Well then I was ticked off cause she should have known what surgery I had if she was taking care of me, so I not so politely said"I didn't have a hyst!!!" She said, oh--and I never saw her again! Well I received my records and she actually documented at the beginning of the shift "patient has no vaginal bleeding from hyst"
The hospital got a not so nice letter from me.
Sorry, didn't mean to go on.
Unread 02-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Definitely write a letter.....skip the supervisor and go right to the top. Send copies to whoever you think needs to know. Even write about the nurse in the local newspaper!

I am sorry you and your BF had to go through that.

Why do these nurses who look and act like they hate their jobs, continue to do it?
It is just plain wrong. You are vulnerable as it is. She was definitely wrong in her approach and bedside manner.

As far as trying to get over the trauma of it all, you got some good suggestions from Maralyn.

Have you been drinking a lot of water? That will help you to go. If you fill your bladder to the rim, the overwhelming urge to go will send you in a hurry! No time to think about it or try and talk yourself out of it. Run the sink tap in the bathroom as you sit on the "throne". Sometimes the trickling sound helps.

I hope you can move on from this traumatic incident. It will help you emotionally to take the power back into your own hands and report this nurse. Who knows, maybe she has had a number of complaints and your complaint might be final straw. This nurse can then kiss her fanny goodbye. And good luck to her trying to find another position in another hospital...

Best of luck and try to think positive....drink your water!!!

Sarah
Unread 02-11-2005, 06:29 PM

I too had a couple of bad nurses and I reported them the BEFORE I left ( I shoulda waited but that's another story)!! After I'd been home almost a week I got a call from the main nurse boss at the hospital I was in and she asked me a LOT of questions and assured me this was being dealt with!!

I figure it was since they took that extra step to call me...ya know?! Anyway...just wanted to offer a ~HUG~ and support so you know you aren't alone!!!

AND REPORT HER! If nothing else, it'll make you feel better!
Unread 02-12-2005, 06:43 PM

I wrote a lengthy letter about 2 horrible nurses outlining everything they'd done to me. I got good results. The hospital administrator sent a letter confirming receipt of my letter. Then the patient care rep, or whatever she was, called to ask me to tell her what happened. She apologized more than once and assured me the problem nurses would be dealt with.

Ladies, you MUST let the hospital administration know when a bad nurse is on the loose! Stamp out bad nurses!

And here's to the ones who give such good care! They're the best.
Unread 02-12-2005, 08:10 PM

I hope that all the pre-oppers out there realize there are far more good nurses than bad, and it is likely your experience will be a good one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register