FM---before or after hyst. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

FM---before or after hyst. FM---before or after hyst.

Unread 02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
FM---before or after hyst.

I am just curious because of my symptoms and from what I have read of other sisters over the past few years and I was just wondering:

If you have fibromyalgia, did you have it before or after your hyst and did you have endo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2005, 03:21 PM

Hi marianwrn

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in Nov of 2003. I had my hysterectomy on Oct 25 2004. I have noticed an increase in symptoms since the operation, but I wonder if this is beacuse I am having problems with anemia and loss of electrolytes since the op?

Take Care
Just Susan

Unread 02-13-2005, 07:52 PM

Hi (((Marian))) good question.

In my case, I haven't been diagnosed with anything, yet, but am starting to strongly suspect that it may be FMS. While I became aware of the symptoms after my hyst, I now realize that I had other episodes prior to that, mostly after a car accident, in 1993.

One of the things we know about immune system disorders is that they are often triggered by a trauma. A surgery is a trauma to the body... and, a hyst carries huge psychological factors, as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM

Hi, my doc is leaning twards FM right now. It is a side effect of Lupron and is more common in women with other autoimmune disorders like endo. From the ERC list it looks like many of us there have it.
Carrie
Unread 02-14-2005, 07:06 AM

I hope more respond...thanks Dany for moving it here. This is something that I have been curious about because since the summer my hips hurt so bad when I lay in our bed that I have been sleeping in my recliner everynight and my legs ache really bad in the evenings and it is not from over doing it Most of you know that I basically stay home all day, but yet my legs sometimes feel like I have walked hundreds of miles. you can push on my hips (low toward my legs) and it is a piercing pain. Could be bursitis though, I will have to get it checked out after my appt this month.
Unread 02-14-2005, 02:29 PM

It was "suggested" that I had FMS the summer before my hyst. I have only been "officially" dx with MPS and those symptoms have definitely INCREASED since the hyst. Although I do believe I have had some symptoms of both the FMS and MPS for many years (also since and auto accident in '97).

I have heard of a connection between endo and FMS and MPS and yes, I had (maybe still do have) endo. ((Iz)), where did you hear that it was a side effect of Lupron??? Curious as I did a 6 month course of it after my hyst.

to all!
Unread 02-14-2005, 03:58 PM

Marian,
I found this interesting article in our Resources section: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromylagia

While I don't have Fibromylagia, at least I don't think I do. I do know that my body has really changed since the hyst. Hormonally I am doing great, but my digestive system is a mess and when the digestive system is messed up it can wreck havoc on my stamina and other things.

I am still hopeful that one day we will find the cause and solutions to our problems.
Unread 02-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Possible suggestion???

I don't think I have Fibromyalgia but I have noticed that some of you who do mention back pain and hip pain with your symptoms. I do have lower right sided back pain and some hip issues but it's because I have what I suspect is a thick band of scar tissue that is attached somewhere deep inside that pulls on what I believe is the psoas muscle. I think I might really be a little out of alignment because of it. ANYWAY, my point here is that a fellow who works with me referred me to the (don't laugh) Sacrowedgy website. Please understand this is not an endorsment of any kind but it is something that's provided some relief for me in this area. It's this kind of wedge-like thing that you lie on the floor with it placed under your sacrum. It almost puts your hips in sort of a slight traction position. The key is to lie on it at least once a day for about 20 minutes or so. Can't hurt to go to the website and check it out. I got one and I have to say that it does help but you have to be diligent about doing it and it's like anything else, keep doing it even if you don't feel like it's doing anything for the first few days or so. One of the pieces of advice off the website states that "you didn't get this way overnight and you won't see immediate improvement overnight". The guy I work with used to be a long distance runner in college and he told me that runners are notorius for having hip, leg and lower back problems. He said his running coach made sure they all had these things. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM
LUPRON and FM

http://www.carole-gauthier.com/etude.html

This link below is a good LUPRON side effects link:

http://www.geocities.com/lupronfacts/sideeffects.html

Carrie (who has suffered as much from Lupron as from endo and all the surgries)
Unread 02-16-2005, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the links ((Iz))....something I'm definitely going to discuss with my PM (physiatrist) on Monday. My first 3 months on Lupron weren't too bad, but the last 3 were beyond miserable!!!! I am just so tired of being miserable....I want "me" back!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register