How much motrin can I take without burning a hole in my stomach? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much motrin can I take without burning a hole in my stomach? How much motrin can I take without burning a hole in my stomach?

Unread 02-12-2005, 12:15 PM
How much motrin can I take without burning a hole in my stomach?

Hi...

I had an LSH 5 months ago and it seems like I'm cramping *all* the time. I think I've built up a tolerance to ibuprofen. I've upped my dose from 800 mg to 1000. I always take it with food. My husband is freaked out about it and I am too, but I can only take so much pain! I've tried other NSAIDs but they don't help either.

I see my doc in 4 weeks and I'll ask him, but for now, does anyone know how safe it is to be taking that much Ibu? 'Cause I may take even more if I don't get some relief!

Thanks!

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2005, 12:29 PM

I was told I could take 800 mg every 4 hours. I think what is important is how long you take it. Weeks maybe fine...I did it for 5 weeks. Six months maybe tooooo long. I remember a friend took alot of it and was peeing blood. Ask the doc. Ask your insurance nurse or call the Motrin folks.
Hope it helps,
Maralyn
Unread 02-12-2005, 12:50 PM

Call your local pharmacist and they will look up the info for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2005, 01:10 PM

My doctor told me 800mg every 6 hours. No More!
Unread 02-12-2005, 01:59 PM

The problem is not just your stomache, the bigger issue is kidney failure. You need to call your doc.
Unread 02-12-2005, 02:32 PM

Before I left the hospital they told me to use the following as a guideline: 400mg - 4 hrs; 600mg - 6 hrs; 800mg - 8 hrs.

Also, there was a period that I pretty much took advil around the clock for pain. When they ran a blood test, my liver counts were off. After stopping the "excessive" advil, my counts returned to normal.
Unread 02-12-2005, 03:46 PM

You should really check with your doctor on that one, but what I am concerned about is how much pain you are having. If that much Motrin isn't working and you are considering taking more, then I think asking for something stronger should be priority. So give him a call and get something else to take and make sure you tell him how much and how often you have been taking the motrin so he can see that it is not working and that you have tried OTC products. Keep us posted!
Unread 02-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Yes, please don't wait a month to find out! But let us know what you find out, please. My doc suggested alternating types of pain meds every 4-6 hours - so that Ibuprofin is not used every 4-6 hours exclusively. And yes, I had a friend bleed out from using too much for too long, and the pain was NOT managed, but he had terrible withdrawals when he did not take it - then bleed out - 4 days CCU.

Please look at options and the suggestion of a pharmacist. . . .good place to start!

Madelle
Unread 02-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone!

You've sufficiently scared me which really pleases my DH .

I've had back pain for years and have been put on many NSAIDs, none of which have worked. So, I think I built up the tolerance even before my hyst. I've been given stronger meds in the past for my back (vicodin), but I always took motrin first to see if it would help. Even though it never did (does), I felt like I was doing my part to take less drastic measures first. Not to mention that I don't like being spaced out from vicodin so often! When they released me from the hosp with 600 mg of motrin after my hyst (along with vicodin) I thought that was pretty funny. That wouldn't even touch a mentrual cramp, let alone surgery pain!

So, since it doesn't do any good anyway and you've all convinced me that what I'm doing is dangerous, I will stop.

I've got a functional cyst on my right ovary. Last ultrasound showed that it's getting smaller and I'm seeing the doc in a month for another look. I had cramping all around my cycle before my hyst and found out pre-surgery that I had a complex cyst (which later the doc said was functional). I think that these cysts are to blame for all the cramping. I'm working with a new doc now and I will call him on Monday and talk to him about it.

Thanks again everyone for the warnings

Margot
Unread 02-12-2005, 07:31 PM

Sorry to hear that DH is right .......anyway...I can no longer take NSAIDs because of past history of back problems and I was taking (as instructed by doc) 800mg 3 times a day for almost 1 1/2 years and I ended up with severe erosive gastritis...so I am banned from all NSAIDs, except I can take toradol IV if needed. I even woke up one morning with my legs looking like they were the size of an elephant---was from the prolonged NSAID use and was put on Lasix for a week --I couldn't even put on flip flops that is how fat everything got from the retained fluid in my system. Glad to hear you will call and get something stronger, and you were right to try that first. Good luck and keep us updated!

p.s. don't let DH know he was right...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register