Post Op' Anxiety attacks anyone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op' Anxiety attacks anyone? Post Op' Anxiety attacks anyone?

Unread 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Post Op' Anxiety attacks anyone?

Thank you, oh thank you!
My heart's been 'fluttering' and been having a few more panic attacks than before.
I blamed it on the ane- , aneth, how do you spell that stuff that makes you sleepy during the operation??!!
But was feeling like it should be out of my system by now (10 days).
I wondered if it had to do with my ovaries, and will be discussing it with mydoctor this Thursday-
thank you!!

mj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM

I did hear that after a hysterectomy, even when you keep your ovaries, the ovaries can go into shock after having the uterus removed and can unbalance hormones.
This could very well count for these anxiety feelings. As the poster above has mentioned, hormones do control alot of that. Makes sense.
Still anyone feeling these kinds of feelings should get advice from their doctor to be sure.

Karen.xx
Unread 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM

I am not alone! I just thought I was going crazy! I can't sleep
and have anxiety too. Dr wanted to put me on Prozac
2 weeks ago but I resisted. Ihave always been so happy
and NORMAL! I have a wonderful supportive husband
and a great life and hate to take meds.I'm sort of an
earth mom. Estrogen & thyroid levels are ok.
I've lost 15 -20 pounds and feel awful. I fuss at
my kids and am on edge.Also, Hubby and I leave
for Carribean on Sat. I hope I'm well enough!
TAH LSO 7 weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
anxiety

I also have lost 15 pounds since my surgery - the anxiety is the worst! My doctor wants to put me on Paxil, and up until now I've been resisting, but honestly, I'm considering it for a few months anyway - just until I get this hormone thing regulated. I have to go back to work in 3 weeks, and I need to sort this out first. The doc tells me that the paxil will help with the anxiety, which will in turn help with the insomnia. Like you, prior to the is operation, I've never taken any medication. But if it will help with these symptoms, I'm willing to give it a try. A friend of mine is a nurse and explained the bio-chemistry behind all this. Apparently a major surgery can trigger this type of a reaction, and there is a real bio-chemical reason for it. Something about the seratonin and norepinephrine levels ......????????

It would be interesting to know if there are any others out there who have tried a paxil-like drug and if so, if they achieved any desirable results.
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Susy

I was placed on Paxil for anxiety after my surgery. It did help alot with the anxiety.

The one thing to remember is that it takes 3-4 weeks to get in your system and do it's job properly. I noticed a difference about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. There can also be some side effects with anti-depressants. Some of them do go away over a period of time, but some do not. Insomnia is one of the listed side effects of Paxil. You may not experience this.

There are also some terrible withdrawl effects from stopping these kinds of SSRI's. They have to be done very gradually.

I am not at all suggesting that you do not try the Paxil if you think it may help. Please follow what you and your doctor decide is best.

I am just sharing that if I had know in the beginning that my anxiety was from a lack of hormones, I would have much rather tried to balance the hormones verses taking the Paxil.
In my case I realized after I was already taking the anxiety meds, that it was from hormones.

Are you currently taking any form of estrogen? Have you discussed the possibility of adjusting your current dose with your doctor.

Sending BIG 's your way.
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:02 PM
anxiety

Hi there,

Yes, I am using the Climara patch (0.1) and I've been on it since the day of my surgery (1/14/05). The anxiety and the insomnia started about 10 days post-op. At one point it got so bad that I passed out in the shower (probably from hyperventilating). My doctor tried to talk me into the paxil at that point, but I refused. So he called me in a prescription for Ambien, which I've been taking to get a little bit of sleep. I also have this weird pain that kind of migrates around my arms and legs. It's almost always present around my ankles and sometimes in my wrists/fingers. I feel like such a hypochondriac even mentioning it, but I know it's all connected to the hyst/hormones or whatever. Prior to this, I never took any medication other than an occasional Motrin! This is ridiculous! If anybody else out there has any of this joint pain, please give a yell!

I have an appt with my doc tomorrow so I will mention the progesterone cream and see what he says. I'm not sure that we have a compounding pharmacy around here, and truly I don't even know how to go about this. Is it possible to stay on the estrogen patch and supplement with the progesterone cream? If I thought it would work, I would just go and get some at the health food store, but that stuff is probably not strong enough, right?

Are there side effects to the progesterone?

Thanks, Susy
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:26 PM

Hi again

The progesterone can also help with the achy joints. That is listed in Too Much article above.

The OTC progesterone cream is not as strong as a prescription cream. For some women the OTC is strong enough to give them the benefits of progesterone. When I tried the OTC cream it did help, but not enough.

Yes...you can stay on your current climara patch and add in the progesterone cream. Many women do use that combination.

One thing that might help you with the patch is where you are wearing it. You get about 20% more absorbtion of estrogen if it is worn on the rear verses the abdomen. So if you feel like you have signs of low estrogen (insomnia, anxiety) perhaps wearing it on the rear will help if you are not already doing that.

The main side effects of too much progesterone are sleepiness and depression. If I start to notice them all I have to do is adjust my dose.

You may not need a compounding pharmacy so early post-op. Some of these symptoms may settle down once your hormones stop fluctuating as much as they do the first few months post-op.

If you are interested in finding a compounding pharmacy in your area you can go to www.iacprx.org

I hope everything goes well at the doctors appointment.

Unread 02-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Last week I called my doctor as I was totally on the edge and in talking with them I told the nurse about a heaviness I had in my chest for the previous 2 weeks - which she then informed was due to anxiety - which I NEVER had before.

At that point I had already been on Climara and Vivelle - they switched me to oral estradiol 1 mg and the next day the heaviness was gone, although I found I was starting to feel anxious towards late afternoon again, did not have the heaviness as before the estradiol.

I now take 2 mg Estradiol and so far, so good!

Amazing what the hormones can do to us. It's scary actually.
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:34 PM
anxiety

Hi Cher Ann,

That's encouraging to hear that a switch from patch to pill has made you feel better. I'll keep it in mind. Good luck to you!

Hi Troubled Tabby,

Thanks so much for the info on the progesterone. I plan to talk with my doctor about it tomorrow. THanks also for link to locate a compounding pharmacy. You are right, in that I probably should just give myself some time. It hasn't even been 5 weeks since my surgery, but I need to return to work in mid- March and teaching school is not something I can do when suffering from insomnia!

I'll let you know what my doc says about the progesterone cream.

Susy
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:43 PM

I did forget to mention - I am still suffering from the insomnia.

I have Ambien which my doc prescribed, but try not to take it chronically - usually every 3rd night or so to make up for it. Hopefully with the 2 mg Estradiol that will change. Not counting on it, though.

C

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register