Want book and movie suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Want book and movie suggestions Want book and movie suggestions

Unread 02-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Want book and movie suggestions

3 weeks and counting. Anyone want to share their favorite books, authors or movies? I want to start stocking up. I've been on this site everyday since I found it. It sure has helped.Take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Though I am 44 I have been watching a bunch of DVDs more suitable for young girls! It's been a blast. Here are a few if you enjoy escapism in this form:

Ella Enchanted
The Princess Diaries 2
Mean Girls
The Prince and Me

For more grown up (clean) entertainment:

The Station Agent (excellent movie)

I still have many more to go. I joined Netflix. If you're interested go to Netflix.com and use promotion code RENTDVDS88 for two free weeks. It's a neat service. You go on line and pick 3 movies, they mail them right away. After you watch them you put them back in their mailer (it's pre-posted) and mail back. Then you make sure there are 3 more selections in your hopper. After they receive the old ones they'll send the next 3 out. If you like the service, after two weeks you'll be charged $18.00 per month. If not, just cancel and you've had your two weeks free.

I am in no way affiliated with Netflix, so I am only telling you this because it's a service that will keep us post-oppers well entertained. Have fun. Once my brain is pickled from the movies I will turn my interests to books and crocheting.
Unread 02-13-2005, 02:21 PM

The best thing I did during my recovery was subscribe to Netflix. I only had to go to my computer and mailbox to get movies. This is a great option since for many women driving is limited for a while. I watched lots of series stuff. I love 24! I also watched Felicity and the OC with my daughter and Alias. It passed the time.

Other more recent movies:

The Notebook
Terminal (with Tom Hanks)
Little Black Book
Raising Helen

Good luck with your recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 04:57 PM

Hi there!

I joined Netflix as well and I just love it!! So far I've watched several new releases and have gone through some "oldies but goodies" ....I did watch Miss Congeniality the other day and forgot how hillarious it was! Be careful with some of the "chick flicks" though, if you are anything like me after recovery you will cry at dog food commercials......:cry:

I also have a whole pile of books, but have found that as soon as I open them I seem to fall fast asleep.....
Unread 02-13-2005, 05:08 PM

Books: I love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The first one is called

One for the Money
Two for the Dough

up until # 10

I also love anything sappy by Nicholas Sparks and Nora Roberts.

Movies: I love all the chick flicks as well and I use Netflix. Love it. Can't say enough about netflix.

Wimbledon is a good sappy one. It could happen to you, fools rush in, never been kissed, ever after. Those are all girlie movies that I love.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Then there's the friend rent-a-movie service...

Here's a heart-warming tidbit .... This morning at church a friend handed me a four-page list of all her DVD/Video titles for ordering during my recovery. I gather delivery is included. I am so impressed by her thoughtfulness.

As far as recommendations ... I also like the Stephanie Plum books except that I've already read all but number 10 and, for me, they don't stand up to re-reading, so I'd try to find them used if you can.

I've also just started reading a murder mystery by Selma Eichler, which features a "fluffy" P.I. The pace is a bit slow but the writing is a cut above most and it is moderately entertaining.

Dorothy Gilman has written an entertaining older series about a senior female spy called Mrs. Pollifax. If you haven't read it, it is light, often amusing and features a very believable and likeable protagonist. The books are easy to find in second-hand stores, usually with titles that have "Mrs. Pollifax" somewhere.

For movies ... I have all three installments of The Lord of the Rings in the four-DVD sets and I have deliberately saved the special features for viewing during recovery.

Keep well,
IslandScribe
Unread 02-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Hi,
One of my all-time faves is "The Shawshank Redemption". I'd be careful watching too many comedies, as I paid the price when I watched "Napoleon Dynamite" 3 days after surgery--my belly hurt from laughing!

As far as books go,
anything by Wally Lamb (She's Come Undone is very good, you forget it's a man writing)
Any Jennifer Weiner books
P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (sp) out in paperback

Of course, it's always fun to read trashy magazines with tons of gossip in them too.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks to all for the movies suggestions! I've been building my own list and was able to add to it with your great ideas.

I'm an avid, devoted fan of James Patterson and plan on using this time to read some of his older books that I haven't read yet. He's a wonderful author, if you're into crime/murder/mysteries. His books are easy reads with short chapters so frequent interruptions (like naps) won't throw you off track. I just finished his newest, Honeymoon, in 2 days and it was great! I would strongly recommend him!
Unread 02-13-2005, 07:41 PM

I love Mrs. Polifax books! I'd forgotten about them. Thanks so much everyone! There are authors that I'm not familiar with so I'll check them out. What a thoughtful friend to share her video library. What a good idea. I like the netflix idea too, I have never heard of it but DH has.
Unread 03-01-2005, 07:21 AM

Hi Ladies
My surgery is on 3/8.. (TAH and ovaries) and I am looking for movies/books too. I like the James Patterson series that features the detective Alex Cross. They are a little dark tho, featuring serial killers and the like, so if you are into that kind of book.. there is a whole series that will keep you reading for most of your recovery. I am also a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark, and Particia Cornwell (again, serial killers, etc). Sometimes I wonder about myself.
I am new to this site and so far I have found a ton of helpful and comforting info.. and I would love to hear from anyone who wants to share their wisdom or just wants to chat. Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register