what I wouldn't do for a bm!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what I wouldn't do for a bm!!! what I wouldn't do for a bm!!!

Unread 02-13-2005, 01:58 PM
what I wouldn't do for a bm!!!

Hey sisters! I know this is such a gross topic and PLEASE FORGIVE me but I really want to take a poop. I'm in enough pain without adding that to mix. I took some root beer tasting stuff tonight and lets hope for some movement......and soon. What are you guys doing to help you out? Nothing like getting personal or anything! Sorry! Also what are you guys doing for all those sore muscles? My back is killing me! I'm either so tired that I just want to sleep in bed...on my stinking back or I sit in a rocker. I'm stiff. Walks around the house are NOT cutting it! I just had surgery on Tuesday so is all normal? Thanks for letting me vent on here. You guys rock!

Serena

ps when will I feel not so tired?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 02:12 PM

I had the same thing happen to me with my bowels.

I take a fiber pill in the am than a stool softer in evening and right before I go to bed I take one teaspoon of sugar free metamucil orange to get things going again.

I'm going on week four Tuesday and I feel great still get tried but its gets better.

Hang in there and get lots of rest and drinks lots of water no soda.
Unread 02-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Old fashioned prune juice worked great for me. I started drinking 2 cups a day after I was discharged and had my first BM 2 days post op. And, you do feel a lot better if you can void your bowels. So, if you can stand prunes, give it a try. I am 11 days post op and still take a 2 hour nap every afternoon. Your body is healing big time and needs rest to rejuvenate itself. Be patient and rest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 02:27 PM
what I would do for a bm

thank you so much for the support! It's also nice to know sleep is good. My hubby wasn't sure if that was normal or not and thought walking was better. Sometimes it feels great. Other times I just want to be surrounded by pillows and left alone in la la land. I'm sure this week will change once we start getting into our same routine. How long did you guys have people stay with you? I'm not feeling like being alone quite yet. When will that change?
serena
Unread 02-13-2005, 02:41 PM

I'll be alone for the first time tomorrow, I'm actually looking forward to it. I love my family and my mom came and stayed with us for four days, but sometimes a little too much attention can be frustrating. But, it is perfectly normal not to want to be all alone and it's perfectly normal to want to be surrounded by pillows and solitude. Just relax and recover, that is your number one priority.
Unread 02-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Shorty -

We're surgery buddies!! I had surgery the same day as you and just had my first post-surgery bm today.

I've been taking stool softeners since I got home, and last night I was just fed up with waiting so I took a 15mg sennosides Laxative pill (probably WalMart brand). And this morning after a bit of gas pain, it was quite a relief (and my DH can stop asking me if I had one yet!!! )

It really made a difference in the pain / pressure I was feeling. It took about a half an hour to really feel 'better', but it definitely was a relief!

For the sore muscles I found that short walks around the house helped - varying my resting positions - sit for a while, lay down for awhile, walk, repeat ... and taking a nice warm shower was really nice and relaxing....
Unread 02-13-2005, 04:37 PM

My doctor recommended Phillips Milk of Magnesia and prune juice. It worked! No cramping or pain either.

Please ask your own physician before you take anything just to confirm that it is okay.
Unread 02-13-2005, 06:33 PM

I found I was full of rocks for two days after the return home. Colace did nothing. I used a suppository and -rocks. (I do have diverticulosis.) (My surgery was the day after the poster's.) Finally last night I had a couple of things that usually stimulate me, (don't ask me why) whole cranberry sauce and asparagus. At bedtime I drank"Smooth Move Tea" for extra insurance. I must have gone 4 times this a.m. Very beneficial. Hope this helps-I got it off MY chest! LOL
Unread 02-13-2005, 07:34 PM

I am having the same problem. No BM and severe "gas" pain. I had a TVH on Friday, was out of the castle on Saturday. There was alittle miscommunication regarding my bowel prep before surgery so I have not had a "real" meal since Wed. DH keeps saying that I don't have anything in me to "get out" but I feel like it, it hurts so much. I had salad and ramen noodles tonight for dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to send my DH out for something, he thinks I am nuts and should let nature take its course. I took Ex-lax (one dose) last night but nothing. HELP!!! I think I am going to explode!!
Unread 02-13-2005, 07:40 PM

Hi from another sugery buddy!! I also had surgery the same day as you did, and had and A&P repair and bladder suspension/sling as well. (not sure what the extent of yours is).
I was already in so much pain my second day home and knew I had to move my bowels soon or be in some real trouble.
With all of the narcotics (which constipate) and being in bed so long in the hospital (some unexpected complications) I knew I was already in trouble. The colace was doing nothing and I could feel the pressure building. I had to ask my husband to give me an enema which was extremely painful but resolved the problem.
Now, I eat prunes morning and evening and have had nice, soft BMs since. I stopped the colace because I was so gassy and distended, but this could have just been anesthesia and what not.
But since the dried prunes are working so nicely, I have just continued with those.
Drink, drink, drink and hope all comes out ok. (So to speak).

Hope this wasn't too much info. Take care!
Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register