First night home from hospital..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First night home from hospital..... First night home from hospital.....

Unread 02-13-2005, 08:21 PM
First night home from hospital.....

Hi there ladies

Just returned home from the hospital tonight after my TAH on 2-10.....feeling a bit scattered, and felt somewhat rushed out of the hospital today.....I live alone and in a very rural town, so I will most likely be posting alot during the next couple of weeks...please bear with me

My doctor recommended taking some Corectol for a stool softener, but I had my first BM today, and it was all liqiud....is this normal? I am now wondering if I should go ahead with the corectol, or not.....I was ona morphine drip in the hospital, but am now on precocet since coming home....I know that the percs can cause constipation....just a tad confused and insomani is in full effect.....I keep waiting for the nurse to come in and check my vitals heeheheh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 08:34 PM

We are glad you are here. Feel free too post all you want.
When I first came, I posted so much. You would not believe.
Remember to drink lots of water. That will help to keep you from getting constipated much and as you are able do some walking around your home a little too. Basically listen to your body and it will let you know if your doing to much. rest rest rest.
Unread 02-13-2005, 08:36 PM

Welcome home for the Castle!

Personally, I took stool softeners for about 10 days after I had my first BM because I was afraid to get constipated. I also walked as much as I could and I never had any trouble. I pray you heal quickly!

Love and blessings,
Angie K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM

I would be careful with correctol, not the "gentle laxative" as advertised. I took that when I got home too, and thought I was going to die. Try a stool softener instead, way easier on your gut and your bottom.
Unread 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM

Welcome Home!

This site has been such a major help during these last three weeks. All the sisters are great about answering questions...many with a well developed sense of humor.

The first night home after my SAH/BSO and reconstructive surgery was a bit daunting as I was now responsible for getting myself out of bed in the middle of the night to pee. Although DH stayed with me in the castle, he thought his night duty was over. Get up carefully.

Many of us are still going through the insomnia. I learned many people are actualy on this site in the wee hours of the morning...some from Australia, some more local. So, if you want to write at 3 am, you can!

My first BM was really soft and kinda dripped out on it's own. (Sorry for the graphics.) I have continued to take a stool softner every day and it does help. So does drinking huge quantities of water! (Okay...64 ounces or so.)

Please take your recovery easy. Some wiser sisters than I had to set me straight about what I should and should not be doing. The checkpoints helped, too.

This is a great site. Know that you are not alone in what you are going through.

Congrats on being home!!!!

Kay Ann
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:01 PM

Fell free to post away, not sleeping seems to be vey normal around here I don't know if I'll ever sleep again

I hope everything goes well try not to feel alone we are all here

thinking of you .....K
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:48 PM

I'm on line right now 'cause I can't sleep. Aren't hormones grand? My first 2 days of BMs were very liquid and then got normal on day three. I think the more the docs have to manipulate your bowels, the harder it is for your body to figure out what to do. But, loose bowels are way better than constipation after this kind of surgery.

Unread 02-13-2005, 11:56 PM
welcome and online when I should be sleeping

Hi and Welcome

I'm on-line because I went to church this morning, went out to eat afterwards, helped DH and granddaughter (who lives with us get a few things at the store).

When I got home I was so frazzled. I locked myself in the bedroom and slept all afternoon. Does anyone else do this?

I have for the most part sleeping pretty good.

I know I will be lonely tomorrow when DH and granddaughter go to work and school. So.... send an e-mail or a Private Message.

I also agree that stool softeners are better and easier on the system, although I have been very lucky and not really had any bowel problems.

Take care and Hugs

Gail 20
(a.k.a. Sandy in Kansas)
Unread 02-14-2005, 08:32 AM

I didn't really have much of a problem with BM, but did have alot of gas. I had heard from a friend who had her TAH a yr ago, that vicodin and other pain meds can cause constipation. I didn't take much vicodin, since I didn't like the way I felt on it, so maybe that's why I didn't have a problem. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen for my pain. My dr. said I could take 4 over the counter 200 mg if I had it in the house. I didn't bother to fill the prescription and did that.

Be sure to rest and enjoy your down time. You may find yourself getting alittle stir-crazy when you start to feel better. Follow DR orders and don't overdo it! Be a princess and let others help as much as possible. Listen to your "sisters" who have been there, done that.

Get well soon!
Sue
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:07 PM

WOw! Thanks for all the responses!!....my first night was a rough one indeed, but I slept much better today.....and I am trying to cut out the percocet.,..and just take the ibruprofin.....your suuport is priceless ladies!!!!!!!

thanks again........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register