Planning a Marriage Vow Renewal Reception, HELP? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Planning a Marriage Vow Renewal Reception, HELP? Planning a Marriage Vow Renewal Reception, HELP?

Unread 02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Planning a Marriage Vow Renewal Reception, HELP?

Hi Sisters, On this coming Saturday, Feb. 19, my best friend of 37 years and her DH of 31 years are renewing their marriage vows. They have recently found out that he has prostate cancer and she made these plans to show him she loves him and will stand by him. There will only be about 13 in attendance. I am planning a small reception at the church after the ceremony. I am making a cake and preparing punch and thought of having soft piano music playing in the back ground. Have any of you ever done this and can you give me any suggestions on anything else I should do?
Thanks for any ideas, you girls are the greatest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi Marden,
What about gathering up photos, of their lives together from the friends who will be there, and making a beautiful album. Do they have kids? If so, get them to write their stories about their lives with mom and dad. It will be something to share and for them to realize they have accomplished together and will appreciate for all their many years to come...

Hugs
kat
Unread 02-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Never done one or been to one, but here are some ideas...

Finger food is always good! Best to have some nibblies especially if the punch is spiked!!

Display original wedding photographs and then recent photos of the couple

Create a photo display showing significant events and people during the years of their marriage (kids, grandkids, trips, milestone moments...)

Have a recent picture of the couple copied and pasted onto an frame-sized piece of cardboard. Have it situated near the entrance to the reception hall and have all those attending sign a message on the card. Then have it framed for them.

Play tunes popular when they were married (thank goodness it wasn't in the 80's!!! )

Arrange for large family photographs to be taken

Have some close family and friends make special personal speeches

If grandchildren are involved, have them (if they are up to it) perform or say something

Take lots of pics and then have the pics developed. Put them all in a nice album for a keepsake

Hope everyone has a great time!

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 10:59 PM

What a wonderful idea! You are a true friend!! I would say that the other ladies have done a wonderful job of helping with ideas. The only other thing I can add is to do as much ahead of time as possible, so that you can enjoy the party too! You might want to ask a couple of teenagers you know if they would be interested in working as waiters for the event to help clean up trash, replenish munchies and punch, etc. That way you can enjoy without being behind the scenes.
Good luck and let us know how the party goes! Please include my congratulations to the happy couple!
Hugs
Jen
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:17 PM

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful ideas. I have combined them and doing all that I can do. I have enlisted their youngest daughter who is 19 to put together the pictures and asked her to write a letter and to ask her older sister to do the same. I will let you know how it comes out. We have music ready to be played in the church prior to the ceremony and during the reception. So I think it is just about a go. I will go tomorrow and get the room ready and then all i will have to do Saturday is get the cake there and the punch. I will post on Sunday or Monday to let you know how it went.
s
Unread 02-22-2005, 08:31 AM

Hi girls,
Thank you again for your ideas, the service was beautiful, the Pastor did such a wonderful job. There were 17 in attendance, they wanted it to be very small. Their daughters didn't write letters or do the photos that I asked so I used what I had and made a board with photos starting back from the high school prom. Everyone enjoyed looking at the photos very much. I have an embroidery machine and embroidered this saying:
"It doesn't matter where you go in life;
What you do or how much you have,
It's who you have beside you"
I did it on a beautiful piece of material and used blue thread and matted it in blue and embellished it with ecru lace two jewel red hearts and four little bowes with tiny pearls on them. They loved it, the church secretary printed out the whole ceremony and really made it look pretty, so there is a clock they are going to buy in cherry wood and they are going to have the certificate framed in cherry and reframe the saying that I made and hang those three things together in their living room. I bought a small silver frame and put a recent picture of the two of them in it and put the framed saying the picture and a book called Everyday love on the cake table and also had the ginger ale/sherbert punch on that table. We used white table cloths, white plates and cups and bought really pretty napkins. The centerpiece on the table where everyone sat was a clear vase filled with clear marbles and roses and on each side was a jar with clear marbles and candles lit with a rose candle ring to match the roses in the vase. It really looked very pretty but was simple. We had soft music playing in the background during the reception and my son takes care of the sound system at our church and he played soft loves songs on a CD while everyone waited for the ceremony to start. It was such a nice time.
After the ceremony they presented each of their mothers with a rose and then she came to me and brought me the yellow rose of friendship. I was so touched and already had been crying That was the hardest song I have ever sung in my life but made it through without crying but had a very shaky voice. But I wanted to thank you all for your ideas and wanted to let you know it turned out so nice. Thanks s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register