Why 6 weeks for sex? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why 6 weeks for sex? Why 6 weeks for sex?

Unread 02-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

Okay, this may seem like a dumb question.. Honestly, I am NOT a nympho, but I am wondering why we wait for 6 weeks for resume sex? My DH is going CRAZY!!!! I gotta admit, I am missing it too, although the first few weeks I didn't think I ever would. I will be at exactly 4 weeks post-op tommorrow (Wed).
My doc said 6 weeks but didn't say why. Just curious as to what would happen if it isn't that long? Not that I will, just curious if all docs say this?
Have a great day everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

I think 6 weeks is usually how long it takes for any stitches to heal.
Unread 02-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

Hi Mickie,

That is a very good question. Some of us have had to learn the hard way, so it is better that you ask instead of just deciding for yourself that it is ok to go ahead.
I am including a link here that really speaks for itself. It is a discussion of some women who didn't wait and what happended. We all heal differently, but you sure don't want to take the risks that are involved if you aren't one of those lucky ones.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=121468

's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

I am less than a week from seeing my doctor and, hopefully, being discharged! 6 weeks on Friday!

I am not going to take any risks. I read the horror stories and that was enough to scare me and DH into waiting. DH is going to drive me to see the doctor and he is taking the day off work to spend with me! He has even talked about trying to find an empty hospital bed to 'test out the new (or lack of) equipment'! Just joking! I would like the privacy of my own home-kids will be at school!

Gosh! I feel like a virgin again!

Do wait! It IS frustrating but will be worth not having to go back to the hospital again!!!!!

Believe me! I have been pretty frustrated myself!!!! But did have some fun working out my frustations on my hubby!!!

Best wishes!

ewok
Unread 02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

Everytime I think about doing the "Wild Thing" with DH (before my 6 weeks), I also think about how much pain I had after my surgery. We are going to wait!

s
Diamonds
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

Mickie the reason I was given for waiting 6 weeks is not only so the stitches could dissolve and tissues to heal, but also that these surgeries (especially A&P repairs) rely on the scar tissue to provide support and strength. At about 3 weeks the stitches start to dissolve, but it's the 3-6 week period that the scar tissue develop and strenthen the incision area. Having sex before that time you are running a high risk of tearing open your incision. So please wait!!! Remember absence makes the heart grow fonder and it will be worth the wait!
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Why 6 weeks for sex?

I would say WAIT. I waited my 6 weeks, got cleared by my doctor. I had sex, had complications and had to have surgery again. So I would wait.............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register