Have I got something to tell you! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have I got something to tell you! Have I got something to tell you!

Unread 02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Have I got something to tell you!

Maybe some of us should write to Ms. Brenda Kearns at Womans World and give her a little more information - maybe she needs to do a bit more research before printing something like that -

Like most of you have said before, the desicion to have a hyst. is not one any of us have taken lightly, most of us have suffered for many years and tried EVERYTHING ELSE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM

I'm relatively new to this site, but I am not new to this mentality. I have fought with all my might not to have this surgery. I have Stage 4B Uterine Stromal Sarcoma. I have been fighting this for 11 years and 9mos. They told me I would need a hysterectomy and would never have children. I fought and fought this. As a last resort, and to save my life I finally gave in and had the hysterectomy 4.5 weeks ago. I have had 19 surgeries in the last 11 years in order to NOT have this hysterectomy. I have tried different Chemo regimens, hormone regimens, natural remedies, EVERYTHING. But again everybody says. They feel that this surgery is an ELECTIVE surgery. No elective surgery is one that is CHOSEN for asthetic reasons, NOT for life saving measures. Anybody that lives with the problems that a hysterectomy corrects knows what I am talking about. I am so sorry that people feel the need to push their erronous (sp?) opinions on others. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Noelani
Unread 02-16-2005, 04:08 PM

Like most of you have said before, the desicion to have a hyst. is not one any of us have taken lightly, most of us have suffered for many years and tried EVERYTHING ELSE!! [/b][/quote]

I just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery! I am only 12 days out & feel wonderful. (except for my worry about a misaligned incision) I had a vertical cut due to the size of my uterus & was worried that the recovery might be worse, but I think it's just the opposite. My dr said that they used to do all hysts that way because the healing was easier, but women wanted the horizontal for cosmetic reasons. I have even been sleeping on my side for a week!!

I requested an abdominal binder when I was in the hospital & it really helped a lot. Not only did it hold everything in, but I was afraid of my incision coming open, so it eased my mind about that as well. They let me take it home & I did use it for the first few days & then only at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Well, I think this is a backlash from the 1950's mentality that told us that all women over 40 didn't need their reproductive organs, so why not remove them. As a result, hysterectomy was a commonly recommended treatment for related and unrelated problems. The United States still has the highest proportionate rate of hysterectomies in the world.

That being said, none of us elected to have the surgery. No one knows for sure what causes endo, and one theory is that the use of tampons causes or at least exacerbates endo. As for a healthy diet, mine couldn't have been much healthier. I'm a vegetarian, actually pretty close to being vegan, and I've battled endo my whole adult life. I, for one, am glad that I had the surgery. My female doctor suggested it, and offered me no alternative. I trusted her.
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:54 PM

I will see if I can findout more info about Womans world and let everyone know. Maybe if we all bombard them with the right info they will feel obligated to write another article with more correct info.
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:08 PM

I wish we could all get an informative letter out to Ophra or someone like that. This subject really needs to be revisited and taken seriously. This is not a surgery that one WANTS to have. This was something we HAD to have and the news media really needs to set the record straight!
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:16 PM

Alright Ladies.... It's time!!!

If any of you can track down some email addys... snail mail addys... phone #s... whatever... We should start to write, and talk, and write, and talk, and write some more!!! I'll be on the lookout! I'll let you know what I can find!!! Please let me know...

This is a subject who's time has come, and we need to have our voices heard!!! There ARE those of us who had our hysts for the right reasons!!! We ARE sure that we did the right thing!!! And the women out there who need this done most definately DO NOT need to be scared off by someone who's never HAD this issue nor this surgery and are talking trash with no real life experience!!!!

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!!
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM

moonstone-opal, I could not agree more!

Susan
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:43 PM

I haven't read the article, but I can tell you that I didn't do any of those things prior to my own surgery. Well, I wore tampons, but not for those reasons. My personal opinion was that they were more sanitary than so-called sanitary napkins.
I don't eat a lot of greens, veggies, or fruits.
I eat red meat and I think the skin is the best part of the chicken.
Sorry. That's just me.

That being said, I didn't have a bit of endo. Not bragging, just stating a fact.
I've always heard that bleeding is heavier when you wear an IUD. Maybe that information is incorrect, I don't know.

Personally, I do believe there are still many surgeries (not only hysterectomies) that are performed unnecessarily, although I doubt seriously it's upwards of 90%.

In my situation, I was given an option of getting a D&C, but chose to have, even pushed to have, a hysterectomy instead.
The only thing my insurance company questioned was whether or not I was offered birth control (I was, but I smoke and my age made it a bad choice) and hormone therapy. No thanks. I didn't want to have to take medications for the rest of my life, especially when I was only 36 at the time. They also couldn't guarantee it would work.
Straight up....I was tired of bleeding every month. I'd had my tubes tied 16 years earlier after my third child and had no intentions of having another.

What I didn't know was that I had been pregnant at the time my tubes were tied and I had a placenta implanted in my uterus for 16 years....causing my problems.

I guess I feel like there are still women out there who aren't informed enough about medical decisions and it can be from any number of reasons.
For instance, there are women who are so trusting of what their doctor's tell them that they don't question the advice.
Others may not know where to go to research other options.

I remember keeping a medical book at hand years ago that had a section with every symptom imaginable.
Of course, I ended up with every problem from pp. 1-32!
I eventually tossed the book.

I imagine the bottom line is this:
For every woman who has a hysterectomy, there's probably 2-3 who need one, but aren't receiving the right medical advice or are denied that option for a variety of reasons.

Maybe those folks who want to rag on everyone who has a hysterectomy should direct their attention to those who need one and can't have it done?
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
YEAH, RIGHT!

Probably written by some man in a cubicle somewhere or a sweet young thang who has no clue...

"Gag me with a spoon"! as they used to say!

If that's all it took, wouldn't it be wonderful? NOT!

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register