Have I got something to tell you! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have I got something to tell you! Have I got something to tell you!

Unread 02-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Have I got something to tell you!

I would love to see an article in a popular magazine that would explain exactly why a hysterectomy might be the best solution for some women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by outwtheold
Unfortunatly I'd put my money on it being a woman who feels that we here are having this done to us by men who see it as a way of controling us and demeaning us. I won't go on about her more and describe her because I will inflame and tick people off... think of NOW and the sereo type of them and that is how I see this person. They see that a male human can be nothing but trouble for a woman.

Ditto here.

I believe that when they say 90% are unneccessary, they really mean 90% are non-life threatening. Of course they don't consider quality of life, which is a huge issue for those of us suffering from painful periods, cysts, endo, admen, etc.
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:46 PM

Well, I will watch out for addresses for talk shows or whatever. If you all come up with anything Id be glad to be in on it. I will help in any way I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 07:50 AM

Not to beat this subject to death, but I also forgot to mention that I had a difficult time finding what I thought was objective information about hysterectomy. Every [email protected]%& thing I read seemed to be saying that hysterectomies were almost always unnecessary.

I also was horrified to find out that I had a state-mandated second surgery when I could have had only one procedure...a draconian law exists in my state that states if a woman has had no children, she is required to wait 30 days from the physician's recommendation to have a hysterectomy unless the doctor deems the situation as life threatening. I had given my doc permission to do whatever she felt she needed to do. I'm 43 and chlldless by choice.

I was so demoralized and angry at the state nannyism that I had to bow down to. Ugh.
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Jeanne
I also was horrified to find out that I had a state-mandated second surgery when I could have had only one procedure...a draconian law exists in my state that states if a woman has had no children, she is required to wait 30 days from the physician's recommendation to have a hysterectomy unless the doctor deems the situation as life threatening. I had given my doc permission to do whatever she felt she needed to do. I'm 43 and chlldless by choice.
Now, that's insulting...and infuriating! As if we women are ignorant children and need The Great Dr. Man to decide what is OK for us to do with our bodies. Who comes up with laws like that and how do they get away with it? UGH :burning:
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VTGeri
...The doctors did everything they could before the hysterectomy.
Quality of life is my only concern. Something I have not had in more than 21 years, but you won't see that in those articles.
Hi Geri -

In my pre-op research I discovered that Vermont is very conservative when it comes to hysterectomies. I felt my doctor was very thorough, and like you I tried everything she suggested - including changing pills over the course of several years and a uterine fibroid embolization two years ago.

Quality of life is exactly the reason I had my surgery. My issues weren't life-threatening, but they sure were life interrupting. At two weeks post-op my family was already saying, "We're so glad to have you back!"

Colleen (from Vermont, too!)
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:30 AM

The law was probably passed many years ago because hysterectomies were performed without a woman’s consent. I believe that may be why the pre op appointment is to be a certain period of time before the actual surgery date – to allow questions to be answered and a proper and informed decision can be made by the patient. I know when I had my tubal ligation, my appointment had to be a certain number of days before the actual procedure. A doctor can’t recommend a hysterectomy then say “see you next month in the O.R.!” He must give the proper amount of consultation first.

The consent form signature is a huge thing too. Maybe, Dr. Jeanne, your doctor did not have the proper consent form signed by you stating exactly what organs you wished to be removed before your surgery? A verbal okay during a consultation is not enough.
Unread 02-18-2005, 09:06 AM

Hi, Kalena, I'm right down the road in Norfolk! I had signed the document, but it was 20 days prior. Thanks to the 10 days, I had to undergo a second surgery. Guess the General Assembly want me to be extra sure...as if another 10 days would have mattered.
Unread 02-18-2005, 10:08 AM

I did a Google search on "Woman's World", and found this snail mail address and phone:

Woman's World
P.O. Box 1928
Marion, OH 43396

Phone: 1-800-216-6981

There is no email address or website info listed at all.

Write Away Sisters!!

Kathcam
Unread 02-18-2005, 10:47 AM

To the person who started this thread - do you have the Issue number, month and date of the article? It helps when writing to refer to the exact magazine, issue and article, so they know exactly what we're talking about.

Have pen in hand - ready to write!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register