Have I got something to tell you! - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have I got something to tell you! Have I got something to tell you!

Unread 02-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Have I got something to tell you!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Jeanne
Not to beat this subject to death, but I also forgot to mention that I had a difficult time finding what I thought was objective information about hysterectomy. Every [email protected]%& thing I read seemed to be saying that hysterectomies were almost always unnecessary.

I also was horrified to find out that I had a state-mandated second surgery when I could have had only one procedure...a draconian law exists in my state that states if a woman has had no children, she is required to wait 30 days from the physician's recommendation to have a hysterectomy unless the doctor deems the situation as life threatening. I had given my doc permission to do whatever she felt she needed to do. I'm 43 and chlldless by choice.

I was so demoralized and angry at the state nannyism that I had to bow down to. Ugh.
I too had a very difficult time finding objective info. After all I had read about possible side effects, I decided against having one for almost 7 years & it could have cost me my life due to the severe anemia. This site was a Godsend because any question I could possibly think of was answered on here... by REAL PEOPLE that had gone through the same thing! I also learned that I could save my cervix as well as my ovary. That choice made me feel better about the whole surgery.

I can imagine that the waiting period was a very frustrating thing for you BUT in a way, I think it's a good idea to protect some of the less informed people. I know I have had experience with an ent dr recommending unnecessary ear surgery on my own daughter. I happened to be an informed parent because my son had ear surgery previously, so I knew the complications of it AND that you atleast look at the childs medical history! I of course declined & called my insurance co & asked them to red flag his name because I suspected he might be doing it for the money. My pediatrician said she couldn't believe any dr in their right mind would recommend surgery for her! Funny thing is this ent dr was in the same office as the dr that had performed the necessary surgery on my son, BUT my son's dr was not on our insurance plan, but the other dr was.

I know that even when my hyst was strongly suggested again last summer, it still took me some time to come to grips with it & I was glad I waited until I had more info & felt more comfortable about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Have I got something to tell you!

I put the name of it in my first post I thought.
I article is called THE TOO-COMMON SURGERY YOU DONT NEED.
Thats all I remember. Sorry I got mad and threw it away. I hope this helps though.
Good luck everyone. I hope they will write an article that is correct.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register