Return to work part time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work part time? Return to work part time?

Unread 02-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Return to work part time?

I was talking to Kim (Dylli) and she suggested that when I go back to work I might want to try only working part time at first. I'm not sure if I can do this, but if I can it sounds like it might be a good idea. What was your experience when you had to return to work? Is it really hard and exhausting or were you okay to work full time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2005, 10:20 PM

I only ever work part-time 4hrs a day M-F and I found I slipped back into work easily at 6 1/2 weeks, my job envolves alot of standing and bending .
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:32 PM

I went back to work full time on the 15th...first day I was exhausted. Woke up in the morning and the swelly belly was worse than I have ever had (had a lav), I am a bank teller and stand all day long, with all my safes on the bottom level with lots of bending/squatting.

Today wasnt as bad, even though a lady asked me when I was "due", man you should of seen the look of horror on her face when I told her I had a hyst last month

I was tired when I got home today, but managed to stay awake for an hour or so before falling asleep today, unlike yesterday was..walk in the house, fall into bed, and was out like a light.

If I had the chance to start back part time, I think I would of, even if only for 1 wk...I know I will get back to normal routine soon, but its quite exhausting taking the jump in with both feet method.

:dragon:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2005, 10:36 PM

Our surgery dates are very close together. I returned to work at 6 weeks for 1/2 days. I am a teacher who sees a large number of students each day. I'm on my feet a lot and have to be on top of things. My surgeon thought I could go back after a month-ha! ha! My reg. MD said "NO Way! You're schedule is worse than mine. You are staying home 8 weeks!" We compromised and I returned 1/2 days beginning at 6 weeks. My Reg. MD was right. I was absolutely dragging that first day back in the classroom. Everything felt like it was achy, burning, and hanging to the ground. I'll have one day I feel great and than another where I can hardly handle things. The fatigue you experience is quite something! It's uneven. I was in excellent shape going into this surgery. Perhaps that's why my surgeon thought I was "Wonder Woman" and could go back at 4 weeks full time. My surgeon is a man of few words so I really haven't been able to rely on him much for help. In fact, I'd do about anything to avoid having to deal with him. Reg. MD has been awesome THANK GOD!

I'd do 1/2 days if possible.

Songtch
SAH/12-23-04/kept ovaries and cervix/removed football sized fibroid/age 45
Unread 02-17-2005, 10:21 AM

I am returning back to work gradually, at the four week mark post surgery. The first week I worked two days, Monday for one hour, Wednesday for 4 hours, today is Thurs and I am home feeling like a zombie right now. Next week it will be Monday, 4 hours, Tues, and Wednes full days off till the next Monday then back to my four day regular work week. I may not work my full four days even after that, it will be the day after you worked or the evening that you worked when it will hit you that you are still recouping from surgery. Take things slowly.

Jeanne
Unread 02-17-2005, 10:49 AM

I returned to work full-time at 6 weeks. I wish I had the option of only doing so part-time, but I did have nice people to work with who basically let me relax in the afternoons - I would sit at my desk and read tech papers with my feet up on another chair.

Bascially for the first two - three weeks all I did was work and then go home to bed for the evening - even having dinner in bed or not eating at all.

If you can go back part-time I would do it because you will feel tired. But don't worry it may only be a few weeks before you feel really good again and can work the whole day.

Good Luck!
Cat
Unread 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM

Saw my doctor today and she let me make the decision about my return to work. We compromised on part-time return for 2 weeks then go back and see her to check on my hormone levels. I seem to have some major mood swings going on and with the removal of one ovary, perhaps the stronger producer, she suggested trying Climara patch for the next 2 weeks. I stopped in to work to give them my news...and I did feel better being around the work environment. Am so thankful for such a great doctor.
Unread 02-17-2005, 04:55 PM

I had an LAVH and went back part time on week three (3-4 hours per day) but I have a sit-down / computer job, and I moved VERY slow! The fourth week I was up to 7 hours, and by the fifth week, I was full time, although pretty sore at night.
Unread 02-17-2005, 05:35 PM

I went back to work full time at 8 weeks post op, I found taking the 8 weeks was a big plus for me. Week one and getting back in routine was the toughest, I took it slow and things came around by weeks end. I am 5 months post and still gaining speed each month, still get swelly belly, still can't bend or bump a counter without being reminded of the surgery and still have some pretty restless nights - all in all I am doing better each month but very surprised at how long it takes to get over this surgery - o so very underated and misunderstood IMO. Listen to your body - you know you best and we are all different, as for me I was in no hurry to get back - for the first time in my life I took time for me, good luck and go with the flow!!
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:11 PM

I feel pretty good from the hysterectomy, however I had a second surgery on 01/19 and will be having a third surgery tomorrow. Basically I've had one surgery every month for the past three months. The multiple surgeries probably compound my exhaustion. A nurse from my last surgery thought it might be a good idea to have a blood count. Maybe I'll do that next week or the week after.

While I work sitting down all day, just being up and out is hard. As for going back part time, I'll have a talk with my supervisor and see if I can do that. A friend of mine is getting me some really good vitimans. Hopefully they will help with my energy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register