Whats the dumbest thing you did post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whats the dumbest thing you did post op? Whats the dumbest thing you did post op?

Unread 02-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Whats the dumbest thing you did post op?

Come on we all did at least one really stupid thing.

I didn't completely get my christmas shopping done before surgery, so my best friend took me to the grocery store and we did a quick 'run' into wal mart 4 days after surgery. Still can't believe I didn't cause major damage, lol. Once Christmas was over i didn't budge for a solid week.

I learn, but sometimes I think I have to be hit with something like a ton of bricks before it sinks in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 12:41 AM

Mine was lifting my husbands bowling ball bag, that has 2 balls in it that weigh a total combined wieght of 30lbs...let me rephrase that...I TRIED to lift it barely got it off the ground and had to grab my stomach. I was about 4 wks post op and learned real quick that just because I felt good didnt mean everything was healed inside me.

:dragon:
Unread 02-17-2005, 05:24 AM

Hi
The dumbest thing I did was the along the same lines, I went Easter shopping 10 days post , man was that awful when I got home, I felt like I was going to die from the pain. I think I passed out once I hit the pillow and slept for 4 hours . The silly things we do, it's amazing how much it takes out of you though, I remember even being almost 6 weeks post and doing laundry and that made me sweat and out of breathe. It really does take time for the body to heal properly.
Take care
Kerri-thirty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 05:49 AM

I am 13 days post op......went furniture shopping,out to lunch, then a "quick trip" to Toys R US with the family 3 days ago.........got so tired I had to leave the last.....was thinking of taking a nap in the corner if I didn't!! I can't believe how good I feel one minute and then TOTALLY out of energy the next......this is a SLOW process!! I am looking forward to just being me again!! Went to my 2 week check up yesterday......Dr said I could start fixing myself snacks!!! Really hard to take it easy....but I know it will all be worth it!!
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:02 AM

I tried to walk a 60 lb very strong American Pit Bull Terrier that is located at one of our local shelters. I was two wks post-op. Man did that pull. I decided I should not try to walk dogs for a while. (I won't even walk a small dog now) LOL
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:51 AM

Hi Ladies,
I had my surgery on a Tuesday. Thursday I felt wonderful and was up and walking all day long. 2 days out, I thought, what do they know, meaning on here. I felt great and could do it!! 9am was dressed, went awol for a few minutes in a car (My bad), up and down the elevator enjoying outside, walking up and down the halls, no nap, visitors all day to keep me company!! Yes, it isnt so hard...Switch to 5PM. My get up and go, got up and left, and took anything else remotely related to energy with it!! And it didnt leave silently either. Nurse bought me supper and it was all I could do to get the food to my face!! I could barely get in my luxurious robe and I didnt even get it tied up in the back before laying in my bed and I wanted to die!! Of course that would be the night some lady decided to use the labor suite at 4AM......

That day I learnt two things. #1 it is a difficult surgery, and that I was not superwoman, more like stupidwoman...And #2, my Sisters were right, and that if all my sisters before me had exhaustion and couldnt do it, there was a very good chance that I could not....Actually I am still surprised I made it as long as I did before semicollapsing....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Dumbest Thing....

My DH has a debilitating illness, but has been a trooper through all of this, my DD's and DS on the other hand have been typical teens.....I got angry when the laundry piled up....I did 3 loads, including hanging them up!!! (Didn't carry anything as it was all piled up in the laundry room!) but never the less, bending, reaching, stretching and GRIPING at the teens......I wound up with a leaking incision, one week post-op! Stupid on my part and stubborn.
Mynpookie
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:17 AM

I am 6 days post-op from a TAH. Last night, my DH yelled for the kids to get a bath. The little one is only 4 and needs help. While he "played" on the computer, and belted orders for me to get in bed and the kids to wash, I went into the bathroom with the little one to run the water. Knelt on the floor beside the tub. When she was getting out, she slipped on the side and fell. Instinctively, I went to catch her (she is 40+pounds), twisted and felt like the entire incision split open. Screamed in pain and cried.

Stupid? I like to think that I did what every mom would do to protect her child from getting hurt. My DH screamed at me for the next 1/2 hour that I was stupid for even going into the bathroom. I wanted to yell back "Well, someone had to take care of her--you couldn't be bothered!" Of course I didn't, just took two percosets and fell asleep!
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:34 AM

I went to Target's day-after-Christmas sale, which was 9 days post-op. I had been walking around the neighborhood since the first week, so I thought I was ready. I was bending over, grabbing some 75% off gift tags like a mad woman, stood up too fast and got such a case of the queezies, I nearly hurled into the bargain bin (and about 50 other bargain hunters). I also developed sudden tummy pains - ugg.
I made my way back to toy section where my DH and kids were, and had to pretend I felt just fine, even though I was turning every shade of green. If I had let on how I was feeling, I wouldn't have been let out of the house again until next Christmas!

Less than a week later, our kids and their friends were out jumping on the trampoline in our back yard. One of our five-year-old neighbors got their head bumped and started crying. Just on instinct, I ran outside and scooped him up in my arms to comfort him. I turned around and saw my husband standing in the window having a near-heart attack. I was fine, and very lucky.

In hind-sight, I did a number of stupid things. I still thank God daily for my speedy recovery -- in spite of myself.
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:42 AM

Oh boy, I did something really stupid at just over 2 weeks post-op. It was my friends 40th birthday and they had a huge party with live music. I got all dressed up, wore nice high heeled boots but planned to be a 'good girl' and just sit and enjoy the music. Several cocktails later, I was up and proceeded to dance the entire night away (until 3:30 in the morning).

The next day, I was in HUGE pain and thought I had a prolapse. Spent the entire day in bed, cried and called the doctor.

Thank God it was not a prolapse but just major swelling. I was so SO upset with myself!! I'm just so glad I didn't do any major damage.

Moral of the story ... no dancing in high heeled boots at only 2 weeks post op

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register