Epidural? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Epidural?

Hi,

I'm due to have a hysterectomy on 23 Feb, going to have everything taken away. One big problem I have is a history of being difficult to intubate(?). I'm now considering asking if I can have the op done under an epidural. Has anyone any experience, good or bad.

I'll be glad to get the op done, fibroids and the usual problems that go with them, as well as abnormal smears.

Looking forward to hearing something!

Julia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 06:23 AM
Epidural?

Hi... I had a TAH ovaries removed in January and had a spinal instead of a general. The surgery itself went well... they gave me some kind of sedative and I woke up just as they were finishing putting on the dressing. I was alert and more importantly not nauseas, coughing or anything. The problem I encountered was after surgery.... I was suppose to be pain free for 18 hours but found out when I tried to move from the recovery bed to my bed in the hospital room that wasn't the case. They gave me Tylenol 3 which didn't do a thing. Another anethestist came up and said that there hadn't been enough medication in the spinal (it was a one time injection not a drip). Because I had already had morphine in the spinal they had to be careful what they could give me (and another spinal wasnt allowed). Anyway it was a painful night but I survived. As I can't take morphine intravenously as a pain killer (apparently the reaction when injected into the spine is different than the blood stream) I would have had pain after the surgery anyway.

Even after this I would do the spinal again! My doctor came in the next day and apologized (it wasn't his fault... it was the anethestist's) and said that they had never had a problem before.

Talk to your doctor... although it is up to the anethestist if this is a good idea for you. I found out that this might be an option when I went for my pre-op appointment at the hospital... the nurse I had talked to me about it. Make sure you explain your concerns to all that you can talk to. Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to the anethestist until I was in the OR but he did listen to my concerns and agreed that it was the right thing for me.

Good Luck!
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Epidural?

Julia, I had TAH/BSO ,everything removed on 2-3-05 and went with the epidural. I was so stressed over this decision before surgery and didn't actually make up my mind until 2 hours before the surgery. I have had general a few times and ALWAYS got sick from it. Have you had a general before? If you have you know that feeling of trying to wake up and then you feel as if you have been ran over by a truck. Well, you don't have that with the epidural! There was such a huge difference that I would never hesitate to choose the epidural again! My anthelogist was wonderful and really talked to me about it before hand when he found out how scared I was. I am 2 weeks today and doing great! Of course, everyone is different and it's a decision you and your Dr. should make. But I wanted to let you know I made the right one for me. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery. Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Epidural

Thanks for the messages. Yes, I've had GA before and problems with intubation. It seems they can't get the tube in! The waking up and not being able to breath properly is what's making me consider the epidural. I get to see the anaethatist the day before the op, so I'm hoping to discuss properly then. Just been for a run as I'm starting to get a bit stressy! I think it's going to be a tough few days ahead.

That's one thing I need to know as well, how soon before I can start jogging again?

Many thanks for the support from here.
Unread 02-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Epidural?

I had a RADICAL TAH/BSO in June, I opted for a new kind of Anestcia(sp) it was like an epedural, as it was administered in the back, but it is not put in the eperdural space, and it is wonderful. The drug is morphine, and it allowed me to be pain free for 24 hours after the surgery. You are asleep during the operation, but when you wake up, there is no pain, at least that was the case for me. I did encounter some itching, and I became very foul mouthed, but other that that the new form of drug was great.
Talk to your doc about your concerns, I'm sure they can come up with a plan that suits you both...
Snickers
Unread 02-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Warning

I had a TAH a year ago today and had general anesthesia and an epidural for pain management- turns out I was allergic to the narcotic in the epidural- it made me itch horribly! I would scratch and couldn't feel myself scratching- they had to give me medicine in my IV to make me quit itching. It was the worst feeling!!

Just a warning!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register