Post Op Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Post Op Pain

I am 16 days post surgery and am still experiencing some pains that I want to see if anyone else had. I had a TAH, kept both ovaries, on 2-1-05. I am having severe pain with bowel movements. I am taking 2 Colace a night but I am literally in tears when trying to have a BM. I called the nurse and she said this was normal. Have any of you experienced this or found a way to alleviate it? Secondly, I am having a burning pain that is constant, although it increases and decreases in severity, from the edge of the incision to about an inch and a half out. (I had a bikini cut) The nurse says this is from the tying off of the stitches internally and is normal. Motrin and the pain meds weren't helping it so I stopped taking them over a week ago. The nurse says the only thing that will help it is time. The pain seems to be getting worse over the last few days. I am having trouble sleeping and moving about. I know pain is expected but this one feels more like a burning. I came down with a virus right at the time of surgery and have had severe coughing from day one post op. This may be leading to the problem. I am 36 so I don't know too many women who have had this surgery. Today is also my first day on this site. I am just trying to find anyone who has had these same problems so I can feel more at ease. Even though the nurse says these problems are normal they just don't feel that way. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Post Op Pain

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain....I had a TAV on Jan. 25, and have had some pain, which was relieved with ibruprofin (800 mg.) that was prescribed by my doctor. If you check back into previous posts, you may find others who have had the same experience. I would also call the doctor and ask to be seen and/or stronger pain meds. Sorry that I'm not much help, but I wanted you to know that someone has read your post and said a little prayer for you.....Good luck!
Unread 02-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Post Op Pain

Hi teachmath;

to Hystersisters! I'm sorry you are having some problems. As your nurse said, the pains are all pretty normal and should lessen over time.
As for your BM's, try increasing your fiber intake. Eat bran, green tea may help, and walk a lot! When I had my first BM it was quite painful. I think the first few were.
I would sit and rock back and forth on the toilet. Also, a nice hot bath (when allowed) or shower when you feel the urge may help relax you.
I think the "rule" is sit for 3 minutes if you don't go then get up and walk some more.
Here is a link that discusses constipation/BM's.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97106
The burning feeling you have near your incision may be nerve endings healing. There were many cut during your surgery and they need to heal.
Ask if you can use a heating pad or ice pack on the incision to help relieve your pain. They help. If motrin isn't working ask for something a little stronger to help you get some much needed relief!
You should not suffer needlessly!
Be sure to drink lots of water and rest before you feel tired! Little walks to keep things moving along!
Take care and let us know how you are!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 06:05 AM
Post Op Pain

I am 3 weeks today, TAH/BSO, you are not alone the first two weeks I would sit on the pot and have tears, it hurt so bad. I feel for you!!!! It does get better. I too was on colace, but it didn't work, I had to resort to over the counter laxitives. Water helps a bunch.
I aslo have some burning at the edge of the incision on thr right side. Doc says it is a part of the soft tissues fuseing back together and the stitches starting to dissolve.
The pain and swelling seem to be worse at night, Doc said don't deny yourself the pain meds, take one at night, because when the body is in pain it focuses on dealing with the pain instead of healing.
's
Roianne
Unread 02-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Post Op Pain

hi Teachmath,
I had a TAH/BSO on 1/28. I was coming along ok and then 1 week PO, I began having searing, burning pain around my incision and on both sides of my groin. It got to the point that I couldn't walk without crying. It literally felt like my insides were going to rip out of me. I went through this pain for 2 days before calling the dr. I had a nurse friend come over and she felt my stomach. She found a large hematoma on the right side. She made me call the dr. He stated because I was doing "more" than I should have, I more than likely tore some sutures. He stated I had sutures in my groin muscles on both sides and probably tore some of those. As far as the hematoma, that will have to reabsorb back into the body, slowly. He told me to rest and really take it easy. I listened for a few days and then went back to doing too much. But, the pain is better now. I still hurt, but not the searing, ripping pain I had experienced that weekend.
definately call the dr. and let him know. He may want to check you out.
Unread 02-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Post Op Pain

I am still experiencing pian with every little gas bubble that travels through my system. I use a laxative with a stool softener (Senna-S) and I am eating lots of greens and veggies to help. I also drink lots of liquids during the day and drink a fruit smoothie with ground flax seed. I am no longer taking the Senna-S daily, but use it at the first sign of distress.

This is my third major abdominal surgery and by far the worst. I recovered quickly from the others, but continue to struggle with discomfort and pain this time. Using a heating pad and a ice packs seem to help some. I always ice after any type of exercise. The ibuprohen may not help a lot with pain but it should help some with the swelling. Perhaps you should considering continuing to use it for the inflammation.

Everybody's body reacts differently so you have to experiement with various things to fnd what works for you. With time, you will get better.

Good luck!!
Unread 02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Post Op Pain

I am 10 days post op, and finally starting to feel pretty good. I went to have my staples removed at 6 days post op, and since I had to ride over an hour, and then wait in the waiting room for an hour, then drive home over an hour, I was simply exhausted when I got home. It seemed to set me back for a couple of days, pain and energy-wise. I had that burning, tearing pain in my incision, which the doctor said was "normal healing" and just to take ibuprofin or tylenol and rest often. So, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about that pain unless it gets unbearable.

When I was in the hospital still, I drank a ton of water, and they gave me stool softeners. When the stool softeners didn't work, they gave me glysterine suppositories. These supporsitories worked like a golden charm!!! I made DH stop on the way home and buy a jar of them just so I would have them, just in case. I've only had to use them once since I've been home, but let me tell you, I was so glad I had them. Literally no pain, no straining, no worry. I'd advise all newly post op princesses to look into them. Eating a good diet with fruits and veggies and drinking lots of water helps too. I'm taking iron still, so that doesn't help much with constipation. I only take a pain pill (percoset) at night to help me sleep, so I don't know how much that helps/hurts the constipation issue.
Unread 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Post Op Pain

Hi teachmath! (I teachsci)

Try taking the Colace at 8 hour intervals. The package says 3 in a 24 hour period maximum for adults. I too had terrible pain with BM. Cried, cried, and cried on the toilet until it was over. I thought I could fight the constipation with lots of water, fruit and vegatables and oatmeal. Didn't work, so I sent my DH out for Colace, the same stuff they gave me in the hospital. 24 hours on the stuff and it has relieved alot, but not all, of the pain associated with the BM.

Good luck.
Unread 02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Post Op Pain

Hello, and welcome!
I completely understand how you feel. Early in my recovery, I was convinced that I would never get to go to the bathroom again without PAIN! It was so bad that I actually did Lamaze breathing!!!!!
Also, as the nerves surrounding the incision started healing, and the numbness started wearing off, I felt all kinds of new and distressing varieties of pain!
Now I am at 5 weeks, and I promise you, it does get better. I still have some pain and swelling, but it is so much better than it was. At around 4 weeks, things really start to take a turn for the better! Just take it very easy, (I know it is hard, and boring), but the more you rest, the quicker your body will heal. If you need different pain meds, let your doctor know. I had a pain in the butt doctor who did not listen to me, but most doctors will work to make you comfortable so you can heal.
Try the ice packs and heating pad, to see which one works better for you. I like the cold, but others feel more relief with the warm. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing!
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Post Op Pain

Thank you to each of you for your advice. I will try some of the remedies and hopefully will get some relief. I guess this is just so much harder than I expected. This is my first abdominal surgery although I have had multiple vaginal procedures. Thought I had prepared myself but reality is different. Again, thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register