Question, questions, questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question, questions, questions Question, questions, questions

Unread 01-24-2001, 06:20 AM
Question, questions, questions

I posted this in the "Options" room but there doesn't seem to be much activity. Hope you don't mind I am posting it in here.

This may get a little long so I can explain my history, so bear with me please.

I had had abnormal pap smears for 4 years and finally switched docs to someone who would do more than just watch and see. New doc did colposcopy with biopsies. Biopsies were unconclusive(original pap smears were ASCUS). Doc did cone biopsy Dec 1999(removed inner 2/3 of my cervix. That also was inconclusive. I have had paps every three months and just graduated to every six months. Doc has told me all paps since cone biopsy were"normal"

Monday at my annual exam, he would not renew by birth control (Depo Shot) because of a link with blood clots, which i have a hystery of. He discussed subal ligation, and said"I haven't been able to get a good sample of the inside of you cervix since the cone biopsy and during the tubal while you are under general anesthesia I could dilate the cervix and get a good sample." I took this to mean he had at least been able to get some kind of sample from the inside. Today I talked with the nurse because I am wondering what will happen next year when he needs a good sample. She told me my paps have been "limited by a lack of endocervical cells" WHich means doc has not been able to get a sample at all from inside cervix so we are back to not really knowing what is there(It was determined the ASCUS is caused by HPV which never goes away)

SO after all that, here is my question...would it be better to have a hyster? It would kill 2 birds with one stone: it would take care of the birth control issue(I have no other options and don't want any more children.) and relieve my constant worrying that there is cancer hiding inside my cervix that the doc can't get to.

My other questions are about the hyster itself. I am worried about losing the ability to orgasm. I am worried about recovery and time lost from work, I am worried about post op pain, etc, etc, etc.

If someone one could give me some insight on this, I would gratly appreciate it. Doc is going to call me when this pap comes back and I guess we will make a decision then. I am leaning towards asking for a hyster just to have some peace of mind about the cancer. There is a heavy family history of cervical and uterine cancer in my family.

hope someone can help me. SOrry so long.

Kim

01-22-2001 06:36 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2001, 07:11 AM

Hi Kim,

What is ASCUS? (Sorry if that's a dumb question.)

I can't speak to the risk of cervical cancer issue, although I will say I'm not sure you have enough info yet to make this kind of a decision.

I can tell you that I am 2 weeks post-op and feeling much better and starting to go out on short trips (with friends driving me, of course). I think the hardest time for me with respect to pain was in the recovery room and the day after my surgery.

Good luck in making this difficult decision. Carolyn
Unread 01-24-2001, 07:42 AM

Hi, Kim. Sounds as if you have a lot of questions that need some definate answers. The best advice that I have to offer, would be for you to make an appt., with your Dr. to discuss exactly what you have told us. Being that you have a family history of GYN cancers, it may be best to propose your thoughts to your Dr., and then both of you can make the best choice for you.Hope this helps you!Roz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2001, 08:39 AM

I would definitely get a second opinion and you may want to get that from a gyn oncologist/surgeon -- someone who specializes in gyn cancers. Call your local teaching hospital or ask around -- usually there are at least one or two prominent names in town. Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2001, 05:34 PM

THanks every one for your replies.
Cliz..Ascus stands for Atyical Squamas Cells of Undetermined Sagnificance. basically means there are abnormal cell but they don't know why they are abnormal. Can also be AGCUS which is Atypical Glandular Cells of Undetermined Significance. That is usually considered my important than the ASCUS.. Basically if doc says you have abnormal cell on your pap, it is ASCUS

I saw doc on a different GYN matter and got a chance to talk to him further. It seems that he "can't find my cervical canal!" He said with all the scar tissue, the canal sort of relocates and that is why he can't get the sample inside the canal. I am going to have the tubal and he said if he still cannot locate and dilate my cervix under general anesthesia, i have two options: Skip the tubal, get approval from my inusrance for the hyster and have that done in 2-3 months or have the tubal and have the hyster next year if he is unable to get a sample of the cervix again.

I have to have the tubal now because i have no other birth control options. If we skip the tubal, hubby and I would have to be abstinate until my surgery can be scheduled.
I cannot use anything hormonal because of blood clots. I am allergic to latex so a diaphragm and condoms are out. I am allergic to foam and spermicides and an IUD cannot be inserted for the same reason doc can't get the sample.

So at this point, I am scheduled for a tubal and the dilation on 2/27
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register