Disappointed with Anesthesiologist - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Disappointed with Anesthesiologist Disappointed with Anesthesiologist

Unread 02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Disappointed with Anesthesiologist

I to woke to great pain I don't think it would have been so bad had I been prepared it took about 30 min to get it under control though I pass no blame for the pain this can not be helped,I do however wish that I had been better informed about what to expect for the first few waking moments.

this to shallpass
K..... 28 lavh 1-25-2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 11:58 PM

So good to see this topic finally discussed. I thought maybe I was the only one. I am 3 weeks post op today. Overall the whole hyster experience has been smooth EXCEPT for the pain upon waking up.
This was my 3rd abdominal surgery. The first two were many years ago (83 & 90) but I recalled that one of them I woke up to terrible pain. I told my gyno TWICE and the anesthesiologist this was my ONE concern, that I wanted to avoid that this time.
Just got my reports back from the hospital and it took an HOUR to get my pain down from a 10! It took 4 hours in the recovery room to get me near comfortable. I have given natural childbirth 4 times and I have to say this was worse. I was so upset and let down by gyno and anetsh. Found out later that I could have had BOTH the epidural and the general anesthesia But I was only offered one or the other. Upon more research and requesting records I learned that the other past surgery I had both and therefore no pain. When I go for my 6 week check up I plan on telling my gyno how discounted my concern for severe pain in the recovery room was, it clearly could have been avoided.
Lesson learned, I should have asked ahead of time and asked "what will you do for me that I won't wake up in agonizing pain like before?" I also should have researched my past surgeries BEFORE this surgery to see what worked for me and what did not. Maybe this post will help someone else.
I sure wish I found this site BEFORE my surgery. I found it 3 days post surgery and love it.

Thanks, Ladies, for sharing this topic.

ON a bright note, my hospital had food room service 24/7.Huge menu, even soy lattes. Yumm...........
Unread 02-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Hello ladies

after re-reading my post I was glad to see that you ladies reading my reponce understood what I was getting at. I think that it is good to be prepared for post op pain. I also am aware that some people dont have as much pain as others. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that pain control is at the hands of the anest. when you first awake from the the operation. Then it falls in the hands of your surgeon. If I ever have a surg. again you can bet your bottom dollar before they wheel me in I will have a nice chat with both docs, as the pain I woke up in after my hyst was horrid. i feel that in this day and age of medicine there is is no excuse for that much pain. Be well ladies. carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Good responses!

I just want to point out that many of us didn't have as much pain as the rest of you because our abdomens are already numb due to our numerous previous surgeries. I still remember the very first big surgery I had at age 16, where they cut my bikini line open. I was in excrutiating pain for weeks.

Oh, and be warned... prepare to bite the bullet with each bowel movement. That was the worst for me this time around.

Hang in there!
Unread 02-19-2005, 08:26 AM
pain in the recovery room

I am so sorry you had such a frightening experience with the pain upon waking up.

I do not remember anything about the recovery room at all. Maybe one face telling me they talked to my husband. That is it. I don't remember the recovery room, going to my hospital room, getting put into bed, nothing. The first memory after that one face talking that I have is at about 4 in the afternoon-my surgery was done at 12:30.

I had other surgeries and remember very clearly the whole recovery room, my first awareness of breathing (or vomiting) after waking up. I even remember from other surgeries being in the recovery room for up to an hour, and talking and resting but aware.

This time, nothing. Of course I am 20 years older than the last surgery-I don't remember anything as well as I used to!

Hopefully your painful memory will fade with time.

Be sure and give the hospital your feedback about your experience. They need to know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register