BCP and endo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-18-2005, 02:46 PM
BCP and endo

I think I know what the answer to this will be, but...

I will be having a second surgery in about 10 days. I had an LSH 5 months ago. I have mini periods and continue to have cramping about 75% of the time. The doc said that they found some "old endo," but decided not to remove it because he didn't think it was causing me any problems.

As my last doc was a dimwit, I've gone back to my wonderful (except that he's 90 mintes away!) old doc. Since I've had 2 large functional cysts over the last year (I have one now), and because of my mini periods, we decided to try birth control pills to stop ovulation so that no more cysts can form, and to stop my monthly bleeding (by skipping the placebo week).

I was to call him if my cyst started to hurt or pull. Well, it did, and in fact my whole abdomen is cramping. He's got me on vicodin every 4 hours (2 of the 5/500!), and after about 3 hours and 45 minutes the pain comes back right on schedule. So, we are scheduling surgery to remove my cervix, tack up my urethra and remove the cyst. He will also explore for endo (this will be a lap surgery).

I just did some reading on endo and how estrogen feeds it. He put me on a high estrogen BCP...so: Could this be causing the sudden and increased severity in my cramping if I have endo? It kinda seems like a no brainer (as of 5 minutes ago!).

As I write this I've just decided to stop taking the BCP since I'll be having surgery for the symptoms it's supposed to be treating . I'll conduct my own little harmless experiment and see what happens. If the cramps subside, would that be pretty strong evidence for endo?

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
BCP and endo

Well, I don't know what kind of BCP he has you on, but that is a common practice for the temporary treatment of endo. He may just have picked the wrong one.

I definitely would call him and question him.

Good luck,

Denise
Unread 02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
BCP and endo

I took BCP for 15 or so years for my endo. It has kept it managemable. I did have two laps during this time the second ten years from the first and now i am back to having pain and fatigue so this time we are doing a TAH/BSO (ovarian cancer in family).

But the BCP did help keep my endo at bay. I could not however go wihtout skipping the week and having a period. I would get too stressed out. My doctor had me on the lowest dose available of estrogen. GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide.

Dumby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 03:49 PM
BCP and endo

Well, I can't believe after being on this site for awhile now, I don't understand why you are having mini periods. How are you doing that if you had a hysterectomy? Was your whole uterus not taken?

Sorry for the questions......just don't understand.

Jamie
Unread 02-20-2005, 10:27 PM
BCP and endo

Jamie--no need for you to worry.

I did have my whole uterus out, but kept my cervix and ovaries. The uterus and the cervix are not really separate organs (the cervix is actually the "neck" of the uterus), and so they must estimate where to separate them. Sometimes some endometrial tissue gets left and it reacts to the hormones from your ovaries. I've heard that this can happen 5-10% of the time. There's not a lot of tissue left, so you have a "mini" period monthly.

You didn't keep your cervix, so this won't happen to you!

I have a bleeding cervix, a large cyst on my right ovary, a left ovary that could not be located on 2 different ultrsounds and a lot of pain. So, I'm going to have another surgery to see what's going on, and while they're in there they'll remove my cervix. You probably haven't heard of it because it doesn't happen that often.

Margot
Unread 02-20-2005, 11:05 PM
BCP and endo

I know that estrogen feeds endo as well as fibroids. So why does it, or how does it, control endo? That I don't get.

Anyway Margot, if you're stopping your bcp on your own...you may not see any changes right away. The body stores estrogen for awhile. My doctor said for about 2 weeks. I don't know if we store bcp type estrogen as well as our own. But, this is experimenting, ...and maybe not to your benefit?

Maybe ...call your doctor?

Best of luck with your next procedure. I'm so sorry you hurt so much.
Maralyn
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:31 AM
BCP and endo

Thanks, Maralyn...

I got someone to explain it to me in another post. If I have this right, the type of BCP you would use has less estrogen than your body actually makes, so it surpresses your own and replaces it with a lower amount. But, don't quote me on this!

Since I noticed a huge increase in pain a few days after I started taking the BCP, I thought that they could be the cause. So, then I went on a mad search to find out if the particular pill I'm taking is high or low estrogen, and apparently it's not that simple. There's a ratio to another hormone that has to be considered.

My new doc didn't realize that the doc who did the surgery actually found old endo when we devised our plan for the BCP. He can't believe that he didn't remove it and fix my bladder while he was in there!

Anyway, since my surgery should be next week (I don't have the exact date yet), I decided not to procede with my experiment. My first doc was such a whacko, that I'm having trouble letting go and trusting that I don't have to figure out everything on my own. Thanks for your concern.

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register