Has anyone had back pain after their hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had back pain after their hysterectomy? Has anyone had back pain after their hysterectomy?

Unread 02-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Backpain

I had my hysterectomy 1-10-05. You are probably experiencing gas. I felt the same way one night and didnt know what H-ll was going on. I knew I had been taking things VERY easy. my god-sister told me that it was gas. I took something for it and did some extra walking and it went away. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Has anyone had back pain after their hysterectomy?

Susan 55,

I was interested in your reply. When you had asthma did you have a temperature? I don't have one. The pain is still there in my ribs when I breathe in, and I had a bad time of it last night until I took a pain killer. I was only able to sleep sitting up. I've never had pneumonia without a temperature.

Malie
Unread 02-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Hi Malie,

Ever since I was little I have very rarely had a temp when I was sick. Even with pnemonia I did not have a temp. I always thought I was a little weird because of this but my doctor said many people don't get a temp. This is not to say that I have never had a temp.

The thing that made me think pnemonia was the breathing and pain. I had a lot of pain when I tried to take a deep breath. I was told it was due to all the fluid from the pnemonia and something called plurecy not sure I spelled that correctly. All I do know is you should really call your doctor and report this and ask directly if this could be pnemonia. Remind them of your asthma. I live in Upstate, NY and three people in my house have had pnemonia this year. My son, my daughter and my brother-in-law. Maybe it is going around where you live. What a better place to pick that up than when you were in the hospital.

Let me know what the doctor said. I hope this is not your problem. It could be a pulled muscle or something a lot more simple. Either way, good luck to you.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 06:25 PM
BACK ACHE WARNING!! Pulmonary Embolism Thank you Susan 55 and Catherine!

I want to thank all of you who suggested I call the doctor about my backache and shortness of breath. Last weekend I went to urgent care and they took an x-ray. The doctor said he couldn't tell if I had pneumonia or a pulmonary embolism from the x-ray. He gave me some pain pills and an antibiotic and said if the pain didn't go away within a couple of hrs. to go to the emergency room. My wonderful husband didn't want to wait a couple of hrs. He called my physician and got the physician on-call. She said to go right to the emergency room.

I got a CT scan at the hospital and it showed a pulmonary embolism. The doctor emphasized that I was right to come in because I could have died. They kept me in the hospital a few days and I just got home yesterday. I'm taking blood thinners and a drug that will eventually help keep other clots from forming. They did tests at the hospital and said the clot probably didn't come from my legs. I'd been walking and even gone out to the store a couple of times in the 4 wks. since my operation. Women who have had hysterectomies and are taking hormone replacement therapy are more prone to getting blood clots. It may have come from my pelvic area.

So, if you have a backache like you've been kicked by a mule, shortness of breath, pain radiating through your shoulder down your arm, or pain in your legs that won't go away, even though you may be 4 weeks from your operation, call your doctor and don't be a dummy and wait like I did. Also, look up pulmonary embolism on the web to find out what the symptoms are.

Without the people on this forum, I may never have gone to the hospital. I can't thank you enough!

Malie
Unread 02-23-2005, 06:46 PM

so happy you caught that! it is such a serious thing! Welcome back
Unread 02-23-2005, 07:09 PM

Please see the recent thread something about "going to the dr. for an appointment and having a question re back/hip pain" and the best answer I have seen. My Dr. told me to expect back pain after because they would put me in a weird position. This thread has a posting that describes "elephant stirrups." You will be surprised after reading it that you don't hurt more. My Dr. recommended two massages after surgery to help with the pain. I had one about two weeks ago and will have the second at the end of next week., a few days after my fourth week post-op visit. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-23-2005, 07:28 PM

Hi fpl,

How do I find that thread you are talking about? Thanks for your reply.

Susan
Unread 02-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Hi Susan,

The thread is currently listed in the post op forum, page 1 under "check up tomorrow and I have a ??" Hope this helps. It certainly was interesting reading. I told my DH about the elephant stirrups and he said it was too much information. I find all this info. just fascinating. Hope it's easier to find now. I am having back pain tonight, but think I did too much today. It's my own fault.
Unread 02-23-2005, 08:58 PM

Thanks fpl I will check it out.
Unread 02-24-2005, 10:26 AM

Susan 55,

I hope you read my message posted yesterday thanking you for your suggestion I see a doctor. I owe you a lot.

Malie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register