What do ligaments attach to? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do ligaments attach to? What do ligaments attach to?

Unread 02-19-2005, 08:18 AM
What do ligaments attach to?

My understanding is that when a hysterectomy is done, the ligaments that hold the uterus in place are cut and clamped. Does anyone know what these ligaments attach the uterus to (before they are cut and clamped, that is)?
I see there is a thread here about back pain (which I have had, on and off, also, since my TVH on 1/10) and I wondered if these ligaments might have something to do with it. Hope this question makes sense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 09:18 AM

Hi,

The ligaments which held the uterus in place are attached to the lateral (side) pelvic walls.

During surgery, these ligaments are brought across the top of the vagina and attached there to hold the vagina in place.

Back pain is a very common complaint after a hysterectomy. As my doctor explained it to me, there are two possible causes:

1. Positioning - especially with a TVH, the position the patient is placed in on the operating table can be very stressful for the back muscles and may cause pain for weeks afterwards.

2. Compensation - the back muscles are having to take over the work of the weakened abdominal muscles. This can also cause back pain for weeks.

Check with your own doctor to be sure nothing else is going on, and if he or she agrees, try a heating pad and some ibuprofen.

s,

Lisa
Unread 02-19-2005, 11:13 AM

Lisa,
Thank you so much for your response! My wondering about a possible connection to back pain was only part of the reason for my question; the other reason was just that I was curious! I had never seen, read, or heard a clear explanation of these ligaments. Your explanation is very clear and helpful.

I did have some pretty intense back pain the night after my surgery. Since then it hasn't been a big deal and I just take it as a signal to rest a little. I've always been prone to back pain anyway. The good news is that the far lower back pain I was experiencing before my surgery has vanished!

Thank you, again, for replying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 08:33 PM

My initial surgery 9/30/04 was beginning to fail at the time of my 2nd surgery on 1/20/05. At that time I had a posterior repair and a uterosacral ligament suspension. The top of the uterus was attached to the uterosacral ligament which was them attached to the spine with permanent sutures.
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:35 PM

OOPS, typo. The top of the vagina is attached to the uterosacral ligaments which are then attached with a permanent suture to the spine. [email protected]!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register