twitches and jerks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

twitches and jerks twitches and jerks

Unread 02-19-2005, 02:34 PM
twitches and jerks

I am having this problem that has gotten worse since surgery.

I tend to have these muscle twitches and jerks. It was worst when I was not getting any sleep--well, very little, 2-3 hours. I would lay there and my muscles would twitch and jerk everywhere. Since I am getting more sleep, I don't notice it as much at night.

Some muscles in my face would do it, as well as, my legs and arms.

However, during the day, it still happens just not as frequently.

I can be sitting still and all of a sudden my arm will jerk or my leg will twitch.

I told my int. med. dr. and he said it was just my nerves.

Has anyone had this problem? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I going crazy? I was just on a neurological website to see if anything fit me, however there are a lot of disorders on there. It would take me forever to read those and then who knows if I would find any thing that fit or find that I have most of the things on there.

I have had some--actually a lot--of anxiety since surgery and depression. I am now on Paxil for my anxiety. I am also on Premarin .3 mg.

Let me know your thoughts please. Please tell me some of you have had this problem.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 02:42 PM
twitches and jerks

I've had the same twitches and jerks, too. It supposedly has a neurological basis, and I'm assuming it's from the anesthesia. The only other time I had a problem with it was when I had a severe reaction to a prescription drug. It took several months for that to work out of my system.

Is it possible that the Paxil may be at least partially responsible? Did the twitching seem to get worse when you started taking it? You might want to read the package insert or go to the Paxil website to see if neurological disturbances are listed as a side effect.
Unread 02-19-2005, 03:08 PM
twitches and jerks

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Just having you say those things help me out so much!!!!

Maybe I am not crazy.

I know we can all have twitches and involuntary movements and it is nothing. I have just been more concerned since surgery, because I have had so many more. Even though I am 11 weeks out, it is still happening.

It is just really strange.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 03:11 PM
twitches and jerks

Jamie,
I too had those annoying jerks & twitches. I am on Celexa, Seroquil & Klonopin. Nothing for hormones at this time. I called my Dr, terrified something was wrong with me, and he told me that this is a normal occurance after surgery, while healing the nerves sometimes "misfire", as the muscles sometimes aren't in the same place they used to be. He also said it could be due to the anesthesia.
Thankfully, it has gone away. However, he said if it was annoying to the point of losing sleep, which it was, to eat a banana for potassium.
Hope this helps!
Unread 02-19-2005, 07:55 PM
twitches and jerks

I too had those jerks and twitches. I was in the hospital and was asleep in my bed and I had a whole body jerk that woke me up instantly! I've since had them occassionally at home. I've noticed that I seem to get them only when I take my percocet. Now, that may or may not be a coincidence. I dislike the twitching so much that I talked to my doctor, and he said that it could be from the percocet or it could just be from the anesthesia still. He said I could try taking tylenol pm if I'm not in unusual pain and don't need the percocet. So, I'm trying that tonight and I'll let ya know how it goes. I hope you can isolate the cause of your twitching. I know how annoying it can be!
Unread 02-19-2005, 08:15 PM
twitches and jerks

I had one major one, only once the night after I came home from the hospital.

I was kind of dozing/resting and WHAM...scared the daylights out of me.

Haven't had another one since.

--QB
Unread 02-20-2005, 12:03 AM
twitches and jerks

For the first week or so after surgery, I would jerk awake, or experience a falling sensation and then jerk awake. I figured it was the anesthesia. I only took Percocet one time, and took Vicodin as sparingly as possible.

I did a google search for "paxil muscle twitch jerk", and it looks like paxil can be responsible for muscle twitching and jerking. You might want to investigate further.
Unread 02-20-2005, 01:24 AM
twitches and jerks

As a previous Paxil user, I can tell you with certainty the drug caused major twitches and jerks. Anthing over 10 mg. had my body contorting in weird places.

Dr switched me to lexapro and those problems cleared up after a couple of weeks. I would NEVER use Paxil again.

Katie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register