Had LSH--now need cervix removed! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had LSH--now need cervix removed! Had LSH--now need cervix removed!

Unread 02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
trachelectomy after hyst?

Has anyone had their cervix removed *after* their hysterectomy? I had an LSH 5 months ago. I'm on my 6th mini period, and I've got a functional cyst that has me on vicodin around the clock.

My new doc and I decided to go ahead and remove my cervix--I wasn't a candidate for keeping it anyway (but the doc who did the surgery thought it was best) . So, out will come the cervix and the cyst--all laparoscopically--and he'll tack my urethra back up while he's in there and check for endo (other doc found "old endo" and left it).

I'm having trouble with the mechanics of this...would I have a cuff? Would recovery be similar to an LSH?

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Had LSH--now need cervix removed!

(((Margot)))

I'm sorry to hear that you are requiring additional surgery. You must be feeling very frustrated!

I've heard various things about recovery from a trachelectomy. Most commonly I have heard that it is typically a 4-6 week recovery, but I did read one place where it said 3-4 weeks. So, this is really something you will have to ask your doc.

Yes, you will now have a vaginal cuff. The cervical stump will be disattached from the top of the vaginal wall, and the opening that is left behind will then be stitched closed. This will form the vaginal cuff.

I'm glad to hear that your new doc will also be looking for any endo.

Good luck! Please let us know when your surgery will be!

Unread 02-20-2005, 01:31 PM

Just curious...I had a LSH almost a year ago. My cervix was cauterized and I have never had any mini-periods. Was yours cauterized? Have you had abnormal paps? I guess what I want to know is why you are a candidate for now having it removed.

Please keep us updated on your recovery. In the back of my mind is always the thought --what if I do need to have my cervix removed for whatever the reason.

All the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 01:59 PM

Thanks, Jeanine...

I'll post the date when it's nailed down for sure. It should be the first week in March. And, yes, this whole thing has been *extremely* frustrating!

Wonderwoman, I'm having my cervix removed because I'm having long "mini" periods and a lot of pain. Yes, I was cauterized
at surgery. My new doc (who is actually my wonderful old doc that I moved 90 minutes away from) has flatly stated that cauterizing post-surgery for mini periods does not work. He says that you can't burn the bottom of the cervix to stop bleeding that is coming from the top of the cervix. Which is funny, because I kept asking here how that works and no one was ever able to tell me. Makes sense to me!

I was not a candidate for LSH because I'd had carcinoma in situ (pre-invasive cancer) of the cervix just 14 months previously. The doc pushed me toward LSH--said I *could* have an LAVH if I wanted to be prudent.

My current doc (my old Knight in Shining Armor!), was really mad that the other doc had recommended LSH. He says that there is a 5-10% chance of mini periods, so he doesn't do them unless his patient really wants it. And with my particular history....

I also have a cyst, which is functional but large. I'm having a lot of pain and I don't know where it's coming from. The doc that did my LSH said that my ovaries were stuck together (and then didn't remember saying that) and that I had some "old endo" that they didn't remove because it didn't seem to be causing me any trouble.

We were going to try a few months of BCP and see if the cyst left and my mini periods stopped. But my pain increased significantly so he's going to do surgery. I actually asked him to take out my cervix while he was in there and he thinks it's best. I've had only one pap since my LSH and it was normal, so it's not like I *have* to have it out. I'm just sick of all the cramping and bleeding and would also rather not have to worry about cervical cancer ever again!

I'll let you all know more when I find out the details of the surgery. I know it will be just one night in the hosp and that it will all be done laparoscopically.

Thanks!

Margot
Unread 02-20-2005, 02:21 PM

Margot,

I'm sorry to hear that your first surgery did not take away your pain and that you still have bleeding issues...you must be very frustrated! I'm so glad you have an old/new doctor that you trust, what he has told you makes sense to me.

I am considering a TAH for large fibroids, a history of heavy bleeding, bladder issues and pain. I asked my GYN about keeping the cervix and he said I could, but he doesn't recommend it. In his experience removing it does not cause a decrease in the abliity for a woman to reach orgasm and while it does shorten the vagina, in most cases it is not a noticible difference. I am still torn about which way to go. He told me that if I had to have it removed later, it would be the same abdominal surgery and 6 week recovery. I don't think he was trying to scare me off, he just likes to make sure I have all the facts. (A quality I really like in him!)

If you are having this done laproscopically, perhaps you recovery will be shorter??? Regardless, take the time you need to recover well and I hope that you are feeling much better soon!

Maggiemay
Unread 02-20-2005, 03:26 PM

Thanks, Maggiemay...

I was just agreeing profusely with you on a different topic (Docs with big egos) and when I went to submit it the thread had been closed.

You know, the whole issue about whether to keep the cervix or not is pretty controversial. My new/old doc says that he only leaves the cervix if the patient requests it. He does not agree with the philosophy that keeping it makes for better sex and a stronger pelvic floor. But, lots of docs do. And lots of women want to hold onto it if there's nothing wrong with it. And, what are the odds that you'd have to have it removed later?

So, it's really a personal decision. I always advise (when asked) that you think a lot about how much it would bother you to have a mini period. Some women are totally traumatized and other women aren't really bothered. I guess that after I have my cervix removed I'll be in the unique position of knowing if the sex was really better or not!

I'm pretty certain that my recovery will be much shorter, since we're doing it via lap. But, I guess I will have internal stitches this time, which I didn't have the first time. I'll be sure to milk the princess thing again as much as I can! My DH was not there when I got out of recovery last time. He knows he's gonna be in big trouble if that happens again .

Good luck with your decision and your surgery. Thanks for your support.

Margot
Unread 02-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Margot,

Thank you for your explanation. I am quite surprised that your surgeon didn't remove your cervix considering your recent history with an abnormal PAP. I also cannot understand why nothing was done about the endo. My doctor took care of mine during surgery. I, too, have ovarian cysts which have again become a bit painful. Until the pain is intolerable, I am going to keep them at this point. I can sympathize with you though.

I hope all goes well with your upcoming surgery! Please keep me posted!
Unread 02-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Hi Margot

I was just doing a search on cervix and I came across your post.

First of all, I am really sorry to hear that you have to go in for another surgery and I do hope everything runs smoothly and you have an uneventful recovery.

Something that caught my eye was in one of your posts about if the cervix does make a difference, with you being in the position to really know as you have experienced sex with only the cervix.

I am trying to see what the consensus is, I had my cervix removed and I say unfortunately because it has changed for me, well I think it is because of the cervix, definitely because of the uterus.

If you wouldn't mind it would be interesting to hear how you find 'things' without cervix.

My post sounds awful, I really hope you do not take offence

I also wish you best wishes and quick recovery for your surgery, great to hear it is being done laprascopically.

Take care and thanks
Unread 02-28-2005, 06:07 PM

Hello again...

I went to my pre-op today. Surgery is Wednesday at 7:30 am. The doc said that recovery time will be even shorter than it was with the LSH. I am having 3 different things done: removal of cervix, removal of cyst and tacking up of the urethra. He said that for each of those procedures it would normally be same day surgery, but since I'm having all 3 done, they will keep me overnight.

The hardest thing to heal from will be the tacking up of the urethra. He said that could take up to 6 months, and that I'm not to do anything too strenous for a while.

He is going to have his intern assist him and he said that even *she* knew that the LSH was contraindicated for me. He looked at my belly and said that he'd have to make new holes because the first guy put them in the wrong place and he wouldn't be able to use those openings.

I'm so glad I'm having this done, because I'm now on day 12 of my 6th mini period!!!

Aus, no offense taken. I'm sorry things turned out poorly for you. I hope they get better with time.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your kind wishes.

Margot
Unread 02-28-2005, 08:23 PM

Question here......why would leaving the cervix cause mini periods..... I'm having a LSH and want to keep the cervix (still trying to decide on the ovaries)...I have a few large fibroids w/pain. So I'm just still really confused right now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register