Recocele? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Recocele?

I had a total laproscopic hyst. Dec 2003. I have been doing pretty good so far. A couple of months ago I started having problems with alternating constipation and diarrea, I also had rectal bleeding. I went to the Doc who sent me for a colonoscopy. There I was told I have internal hemrroids see the doc in two months. That was 1 month ago. I have been having what feels like menstral cramps and urinary burning. I decided to take a peek down there with a mirror and low and behold there is a bulge coming out of my vagina. I went on pelvicfloor.com and looked at the images for a rectocele and it looks excatly the same. My question is wouldn't this show up during a colonoscopy? Maybe the doc is going to talk to me about this at my 2 month check up. Question 2, would a doctor wait 2 months to talk to someone about this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Recocele?

Hi Terri

I had bad constipation problems right after my TAH in May. I did alot of straining, which wasn't good. I had a cat scan, which showed a bad bowel impaction. I was sent to see a gastrenterologist. He did a colonoscopy a couple months later and said everything looked normal, so he labeled me with bad IBS. I didn't believe this. A couple months later I also looked in my vagina with a mirror and saw a bulge. I went to my gyn and was diagnosed with a very small rectocele.
My gyn sent me to a colon rectal dr. to make sure nothing else was wrong in the hiney dept. I had a defectogram done, which showed a large rectocele and a enterocele.
To make a long story short, I ended up having a large rectocele and a enterolcele repaired Jan 25th. I knew it wasn't IBS. I feel much better now as I am able to have a BM with no straining. I now have a small cystocele. Go figure.

Please go to your gyn so you can get the proper treatment. It will only get larger without treatment.

Good luck and I hope your dr. gets the right diagnosis.

Peggy
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Recocele?

Peggy, Thanks for the insight. I am wondering if this just flared u[ after the colonoscopy because I can't imagine how the doc couldn't see it. I is actually protruding out of my vagina (sorry to be so graphic). I have been feeling like something is there and now I know there is. Is this considered small, I can't imagine it getting larger. I have an appt. at the end of March with the Gastro doc that did the colonoscopy, is it ok to wait for that or do you think I should see my obgyn. Which kind of doctor did your surgery?
Off the subject is that a beagle? He is cute. I have a 2 year old beagle named Bailey that I am crazy about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Recocele?

Many doctors seem to have one track minds. In the colonoscopy the doctor actually looked up through your whole intestine to see if you had polyps or any tumors, and that's all he or she was looking for - not the rectocele. When I was examined at the Mayo Clinic by an gyn/surgeon, he said I had a small rectocele, but probably had it for the last twenty years, since I gave birth. No doctor had ever mentioned that to me before.
Unread 02-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Recocele?

Hi Terri

My gyn thought it was a very small rectocele the first time I went to him for it(Oct. 10)He didn't have me strain at all. prolapses don't show up too great during a internal unless pressure is exerted.
After he saw the results (2 months later) from the defecogram he knew it was rather large. I probably had it quite some time, but wasn't very noticeable.By the time I had my repairs done my rectocele was really big and I had to splint inside of my vagina to move my bowels. Please don't let yours get that bad. It was quite unpleasant.
Don't bother going back to the gastro. My gyn did the rectocele and enterocele repairs. He did a good job I think. That is who you need to get a appt with, your GYN.
I now have a small cystocele, so I am hoping he checks out the size at my post op appt Tuesday. I feel it has gotten bigger.
My avatar is a bassetthound. His name was Homer and he was 10 years old. The best pet I ever had. My kids came home from school in Nov. and found him dead in his cage. I sure loved him!!

s

Peggy
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Recocele?

Peggy, Thanks, mine is already protruding from the vagina, about 1/4 inch out. I am confused is this big or small? It seems to me quite large I can't imagine how gross this will be if it comes out any further. I am having a lot of cramping now also. It feels like menstral cramps. I can't seem to evacuate all the way either. It is just a little at a time. I think I will call my obgyn tomorrow.I really appreciate your insight as I have never seen anything quite like this.
I am sorry to here about your pup. He is so cute. I fell in love with a Basset hound at the pet store not to long ago but was able to come home without him. The next day when my girls and I went back he was gone. I also have a border collie so I am reluctant to have 3 pups although it is hard to resist sometimes.
Unread 02-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Recocele?

I was hysterical when I found out about my rectocele. I had no idea what was happening to me or what it was called. I figured it was a hernia in my vagina. I happened with a difficult bowel movement. I'm going to a uro-gyn who specializes in pelvic floor reconstruction to have mine repaired. I will see her March 2nd to discuss surgery. I'm getting nervous. Wish me luck.
Unread 02-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Recocele?

I am here to wish you luck on your appt. and surgery. I don't think my gyn is a urogyn, but he sure knows his stuff when it comes to vagina repair. I had my 4 week post op today and he said it healed wonderfully and I don't need to come back to be checked anymore, unless I have a problem come up.
He used pig graft material, which he said is soft just like the female vagina. He used it instead of all of those sutures, because I already had discomfort with intercourse and the sutures would have made it worst. I think the pig material was put inbetween layers of skin, then sutured on the sides. I onlyhave a few stitches left.
Ask your dr. about using this material. My dr. said today he uses it alot, because it tends to heal so well.

I was fortunate to not get a episiotomy type of cut. He tries to avoid it, because it causes alot of pain. I had no pain what so ever in there. My lower abdoman has been somewhat sore, but that may be from where some of my small intestines were pushed back up and the hernia sac was fixed.This was from a ebterocele.

I have had a easy recovery and hope the same to you!

Peggy
Unread 02-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Recocele?

Peggy,

So glad to hear you are doing so well. I hope I get the same success as you do. Are you able to do any type of exercising yet or are you still restricted?

Lonny

P.S. As for the conversation regarding your dear dog. I still have a picture of my most beloved cat hanging on my wall. He was my most dear one. Funny, pets come and go, but there are always those who are our most beloved, eh? I currently have 5 cats in my house. I told DH "Look honey, it's better than having 5 kids running around. There's no ballet lessons, soccer practice, music lessons to pay for, just lots and lots of cat litter and cat food" Hey and the best part about it is: none of them have to worry about SAT's or getting into a college. He thought about that for a moment and since that I haven't heard another word about the 5 cats. Of course, 5 is my limit. They do get pretty crazy at times. We have 2 acres and they can go outside for a while. But they are in when it's cold or during bad weather, and stay in at night.
Unread 02-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Recocele?

Lonny, Let us know how your appt. goes. I have an appt. march 1 with my gyn. I don't know if he does this kind of surgery or not, so we will see.My insurance makes me go to my gyn first anyhow. I too got pretty freaked out when I first saw it. There is a website pelvicfloor.com and it has some graphic pictures of rectoceles and cystoceles and thats how I knew what mine was cuz it looks just like the pictures. Hope all goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register