Ask Doc about rectocele-please help-scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ask Doc about rectocele-please help-scared Ask Doc about rectocele-please help-scared

Unread 02-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Ask Doc about rectocele-please help-scared

I go back for my 1 year check up in 3 weeks, I've developed a rectocele & urinary incontinence since my hyst that I am going to have to discuss with my GYN. I have to splint every bowel movement, fullness in vagina and some discomfort during intercourse. I'm so afraid of having to have surgery for it. My questions are: how long did any of you have to stay in hospital? How painful was recovery? How long before you went back to work? Can it be done with a spinal or an epidural? Hate the general. What questions should I ask?
Thanks for any input. Just really scared, I fought trying not to have the hyst but needed my life back. I just traded one set of problems for another. So depressed and ready to give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 08:48 AM

Dear VIO,

I'm sorry you're facing another surgery and feeling so overwhelmed by it all. I had a rectocele repair done along with my hyst so my situation was a little different from yours but I can answer a few of your questions.
The really good news is that this can be fixed and you will feel so much better. You mention the incontinence;are you going to have some bladder work done at the same time? I had a bladder sling done and really love it. I don't have any problems with that anymore. I can do anything I want and not leak.
I have read that the recovery for the rectocele is several weeks,similar to the hyst. It has to be better healing from one or two procedures in comparison to all you had done last year.
You do need to plan on some discomfort sitting and will have lifting restrictions for a time. How soon you go back to work probably depends some on what you do.
The questions you ask here are very good ones for your dr. Please try to set your fears aside and be open to having this fixed. I can understand you not wanting another surgery, but the anticipation is always the worst part. I really believe you will be relieved and glad when you have this done.

's, Rita
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:09 AM
rectocele repair

I second everything Rita said!

I also had the rectocele repair with the surgery, so my experience would not be quite like yours.

There are others that have had the rectocele repair after healing from the surgery though, and hopefull they will come along and tell you their experience.

I was sorry I had not taken stool softeners several days before the surgery. They gave them to me in the hospital and I took them after surgery. But even with the bowel prep, I had some hard stool in there that caused hemorrhoids with that first BM after surgery. If I had it to do over, I would ask the doc and take stool softeners for days before surgery to make sure nothing was in there like that.

Other than that, I really didn't have any trouble with the rectocele repair-no intercourse for about 7 weeks, and they do make the repairs through the vaginal wall, so there was some soreness with intercourse intially. All that is past now, and I can have BM's without discomfort or problems. And the vagina was repaired so it is much tighter now-more like it should be!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Hi Vio

I had my TAH in May. In Dec. I was diagnosed with a large rectocele and enterocele. I had my surgey Jan. 25th.
I was thinking the recovery would be awful, but I am amazed at how good I feel. I have lifting restrictions of 10 pounds and limit my bending, but other than that it has been painfree and free sailing!!I go for my four week post op appt. Tuesday. I know I will be off of work another month or so, because I have a very physical job and don't want to mess up any of the repairs. My gyn did a very good job. I was allowed to remain awake during the surgery while using a spinal. That was my choice. I even joked with my dr. a little. I only spent one night in the hospital and they treated me wonderfully.
I have to use 100mg colace twice a day and I also use benefiber. My dr. said I don't want to get constipated anymore.I was sent home with percocets and 600mg ibuprofen for pain, but haven't needed to use it. I feel like I didn't even have surgery!!I was supposed to have a sling procedure done too, but I didn't want to set back the surgery to get the urologist lined up, so that was my fault. I am going to see a urologist Wed. to see if I should have it done now as a outpatient.
Don't be worrying, because it isn't near as bad as the fear of surgery itself.Plan on having some craft projects, books, etc. at home to keep you occupied. The recovery restrictions are pretty much the same as for the hyst, but the pain is no where as bad.

I wish you luck and no need to be scared.

s

Peggy
Unread 02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
So Sorry

I am only 6 days post op and am already regretting having surgery.

My pain is so intense. I am suffering so much daggon pain.

I cannot feel my stool come out, but can sure feel the pain as it travels through my guts.

I cannot pee in the morning, too much pressure and pain. I can pee a little in the shower (yuch). By the end of the day, early evening, I am able to void without too much trouble.

I had recocile surgery and cyctocile surgery as well as a vaginal hysterectomy,.

If you have to have these two surgeries, my suggestions are:
major pain meds
have catheter in for three to four days
liquid diet till the rectum is almost back to normal.

I will pray for your appt to go well.

SIster Barbi
Unread 02-20-2005, 11:00 AM

Vio

I think having the repairs done after you are already healed from your hyst makes it go alot smoother. Your incision area and where the dr. had to move things around and reattach ligaments, etc. will not hurt like it did right after your hyst.
Be sure to ask your dr. alot of questions at your appt. maybe make a list like I did, so you won't leave anything out.
I let my gyn know ahead of time that I didn't want a morphine drip(it made me too loopy), that I wanted a spinal, not a general. I also let him know I would need medicine for anxiety during my recovery time. He was glad to do all of this for me. It has been a real help.

Think positive!!!!

Peggy
Unread 02-20-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I am totally not prepared to deal with this mentally right now but I can't stand the problems this causes me. A couple of more questions, Has anyone had rectal pain with their rectocele? I notice it more when sitting or trying to do my Keigels. Will I be able to take care of myself when I come home? DH out of town for a couple of more months and I will have to fend for myself. How long before you could drive? Will I have to give up my HRT before surgery because of the risk of blood clots? How long before?

Thanks again ladies.
Unread 02-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Vio

I had pains that would shoot up my rectum and my vagina before my surgery. It sure was aggravating!I was pleasantly surprised as to how good I felt when I came home. I had no pain at all. I was able to take care of myself. I still had bright red blood at one week post op so my gyn wanted to see me. I wasn't supposed to be driving for a couple weeks, but I had to drive to get to the appt. I had no problems. I guess the driving will depend on how much pain you have and if you are taking pain medications.
I don't know anything about HRT as I kept both ovaries. I did have those wonderful air boots on until the next day and was also given three injections of Hepron? to prevent clots.
From what I have read in these postings the ladies who experience pain from posterior repair had a episitomy type of cut too, so the dr. could have enough room to work in there. I asked my dr. about this before surgery and he said he tries not to do one, because that would cause pain.

You will be ok. feel free to IM or Email me anytime.

Peggy
Unread 02-22-2005, 06:55 AM

I had rectocele repair done at the same time they fixed my vaginal prolapse. During my first surgery for the TAH, the doctor didn't attach the canal to the ligaments after taking the uterus.
So, a little over 2.5 years later I was facing vaginal prolapse surgery. He attached my canal to the tailbone with a titanium screw, along with that he did the rectocele repair. I was given something to clean me out 2 days before the surgery and was given a dies of liquids only for two weeks after surgery, along with the doceulax (sp). The script was for three months worth. He said it would be to my benefit to always have a smooth stool from here on in, because I didn't want to suffer from it again, and it would be best not to have to strain for at least three months. So, when I have to sit, if nothing happens, I get up and walk around for a while to get things moving. But I do not push.
I was given a lift limit of 10 pounds for 6 months just to be sure. Well, 8 months after that surgery I had another one for bladder prolapse. it was done vaginally because my first two were cuts and she didn't want to cut again so soon after the last one. Everything went fine. But now my life limit is 5 pounds for three months. She said at my last visit that everything was healing beautifully and soon I will be whole again and I should not have to have any more surgeries again! YAY, what wonderful news that was. Yet from the rectocele surgery, everything went fine, there was no pain in going to the bathroom, but I believe that was because I was on a liquid diet, which included malt-o-meal along with the liquid. Mostly he wanted me to have soft foods, things that wouldn't cause constipation because that would mess up the repair.
Good Luck to you, let us know how things went and when your surgery is okay?
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:02 AM

OK, how about some changes?
My dies was supposed to be my DIET,
And I was never given a life limit of 5 pounds, but I was given a WEIGHT limit or maybe I was trying to say LIFT, but never was it to be life.
Boy am I really doing okay after all those surgeries? Maybe they stole some brain cells while they were at it for testing. Heck if they did that I feel sorry for them. They won't find much to work with...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register