pain meds and nausea | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain meds and nausea pain meds and nausea

Unread 02-20-2005, 10:16 AM
pain meds and nausea

Hello, I am new but I wanted to jump right in and ask if anyone has a way to keep from getting the nausea that comes with taking lortabs every 6 hours? It seems to be a choice between between in so much pain that i am crying and in a fetal position (the endo in on my kidney and the tube that runs from my kidney to my bladder and creates a pain that is the same as kidney stones) and taking the pain meds and being nauseated and dry heaving. we have tried many different pain meds (motrin to morphine) and the lortabs seem to work the best with the least amount of nausea. but i was wondering if there was anything i could do to keep the nausea from coming on? the docs said to try eating beforehand. i tried that, i tried eating after, i tried not eating lol

any ideas? i have 4 more weeks until the surgery. oh and where do i find what the abbreviations mean? i am having a total hysterectomy (taking out my 1 remaining ovary - with cancerous masses, my uterous and my cervix) with tummy tuck and more lymph node biopsies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 10:36 AM
pain meds and nausea

i took motion sickness tabs....check with your dr first...i wasnt on loritabs...my pain meds started with a ty..something...though.

good healing

Tess
Unread 02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
pain meds and nausea

Have you tried Percocet? I got sick on Darvocet so the Dr switched me to Percocet and it didn't make me sick at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 10:53 AM
pain meds and nausea

I found that drinking hot ginger tea helped me with the nausea I got from taking pain meds. Lipton makes a nice one with a lemon twist. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-20-2005, 10:57 AM
pain meds and nausea

Forgot to mention, if you go to the top of the page, click on FAQ. You will find lots of info there, including what the abbreviations mean.
Unread 02-20-2005, 02:42 PM
pain meds and nausea

Try eating at least a cracker prior to the lortabs. You may be doing this, but from past experience - pain meds & empty stomach do not mix. Also, ask your physician about some phenergan. This is what they will give you in the hospital in conjuction w/certain pain meds to prevent the nausea. The down side is it may make you drowsy. Hope this helps some!!
Unread 02-20-2005, 05:40 PM
pain meds and nausea

thank you to everyone for the responses, i will ask my doctor about going to percocet or some phenergan or motion sickness medicine. only 4 more weeks, phew
Unread 02-20-2005, 06:18 PM
pain meds and nausea

Hi there,

Here in Asutralia we have a company called Blackmore's and they have a product called Travelcalm Ginger. It is in tablet form and I used it for nausea with wonderful results. The active ingredient per tablet is Zingiber officinale (ginger) rhizome powder 400mg. It is an Australian product but the have a website if that helps. If it gets bleeped out of my post you can PM me and I will give you the web address.
www.blackmores.com.au
Good luck
Regards Sasha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register