Have I done something wrong? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have I done something wrong? Have I done something wrong?

Unread 02-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Have I done something wrong?

I am going into my third week post-op. I have had no nausea, weeping, flashes, or mood swings. I've experienced (so far) a faint light brown discharge, except for at 9 days out, I had a bright red discharge that lasted for only a couple of hours. (I know that this happened after I strained with a BM. The DR told me to monitor the discharge and contact her if it continued or became worse.) I am having more soreness than pain. Every now and then, the nerve ending will meet, and I get a zinger at my incision. Okay, that was the intro, now for the reason for this thread: I am afraid that I may be doing too much. I forget and bend down to pick up things. I am lifting laundry out of the washer (one pc at a time) and dryer, and I have cooked a couple of meals. I am not being so stupid to try to fertilize the lawn or run the vacuum, but I am so used to having to do almost everything around here, that I am doing stuff before I realize what I'm doing. (I just went into the kitchen, and found that DD did not put the crockpot full of vegetable soup in the freezer, like I asked her to. She did one pint bag, so now over a gallon of the stuff has sat out all day and is now dog food :cry Sisters, am I doing things that will come back to haunt me?

Thanks to all of you who have helped me when I was pre-op!!!
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 02:02 AM

Please take it easy! My experience was going back to work at 2 weeks, and I over did it the week before - not good. Into the first week at work, Doc sent me home for 2 more weeks 1/2 time - I was worn out! It sounds like the one piece at a time laundry method is good. . . .but vacuming is a no no. I know it is frustrating with things to do, but wow, at 8/5 weeks, I get very tired on my feet - good thing work is a sitting situation - but even going grocery shopping. . . tires me out - now I have read that some feel great at 4 weeks, that is just not my experience.

Follow what your body is telling you. As my doc said "this was MAJOR surgery. . . a huge trauma on the body. . . .takes time. . ."

Take care of you. Sleep or lay down as needed!

Madelle
Unread 02-21-2005, 05:06 AM

Janet,

I don't know if you're necessarily doing things that will come back to haunt you, but you won't do yourself any favors by not taking care of yourself!

I'll be blunt... when your doctor says no lifting, bending, household chores, etc., they mean it. I've just had my 5th surgery on 2/11 and I always struggle with trying to do too much, too fast... it's just our nature. As women, we are the primary caregivers and we don't know how to change that role. But I assure you that stopping and letting others care for you while you care for you will benefit you tremendously!

While taking one piece of laundry out at a time sounds reasonable, you're still bending, and you're bending more than you would doing it "normally". I did a load of laundry the other day and in walked my husband asking me what the hell I was doing. He was right... I shouldn't have.

Just like Madelle said, listen to what your body is telling you. I know it's hard to sit around and do nothing when you feel pretty good (compared to how we felt in the hospital) but you can lead yourself to more complications and a slower recovery by doing too much. (On this last surgery, I also had a hernia repair.)

Please, please take it easy and as slow as you need to. Take care of yourself and the rest will be fine!!!

And P.S. If you're afraid you're doing to much, you probably are!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 06:06 AM

I am 3 wks today. I am a very impatient person and want things done now. It is very hard to sit back and look at a messy house, dirty dishes, laundry etc. I too have been doing some things but try to space it out and rest.

I saw my dr last week for a 2 wks check up. She told me to give it at least 4 more wks before returning to work. I only work one day a week but am a physical therapist assistant on a rehab unit so I have to do a lot of lifting at times.

I know I can't go back yet. I have in the past pushed too hard and then had set backs physically and emotionally. I can't do this to myself this time. So I am not going back to work until April 3rd.

what is getting me the worst is the fatigue. It is debilitating. I can't even function most days after a few hours of doing stuff. My dr said that can be normal and I just need to give it time.

good luck to you. just take each day as it comes and do what you feel up to doing but don't push. If you get feeling tired, take a nap, if your pain increases lie down and relax.

Heather
Unread 02-21-2005, 04:35 PM

Oh how easy it is to do a "no no" task and not even realize it. It's so normal to just bend over and pick something up and to just straighten and clean this or that. I, too, am having trouble at this point with thinking I'll just do this or that. I did that today, had visitors, then made lunch, then baked something, rested for a short while then went to rent a video and to the book store, DH drove. When DH went to the library to use their high speed internet, I started to go along and realized I just needed to stay home and relax, so here I am! Take care of yourself, the housework will wait!

Lori - LAVH/BSO on 1/31
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:18 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Melissa_2000
[b]J(On this last surgery, I also had a hernia repair.)QUOTE]

Hi Melissa_2000;
I was wondering, I had hernia repair that the doctor found while doing the bladder sling. I didn't know I had a hernia and she said due to where it was I most likely wouldn't have had it checked until the pain was real bad. They would have attributed it to pains from healing in the incision area from the two previous surgeries. My last one was done vaginally

I am wondering do you have any ideas on what could have caused my hernia? I am trying to do exactly as the doctor said to do. Thanks
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:36 AM

Hi Pamela. Honestly, me and my doctor have no idea how I got the hernia. I always thought a hernia was terribly painful, but I had no pain.

Since my last surgery in August, I've seen (in addition to my GYN oncologist) 3 other doctors due to a staph infection and also saw a plastic surgeon a few weeks ago -- before my surgery on 2/11 -- about cleaning up a nasty scar from my last surgery. All of the doctors mentioned I was at risk for a hernia, but it wasn't until the plastic surgeon when someone said, "You have a hernia!"

I asked my doctor the same thing... how does one get a hernia. He explained I run a much greater risk becuase I have internal suspension sutures holding my abdominal wall together. (I haven't been as lucky as most women here who've had lap. and vaginal procedures. I have a nice, big, fat vertical incision on my belly.) But apparently all it takes it standing up the wrong way or moving wrng and boom, you've got a hernia. And clearly, they don't always cause pain.

Glad yours is gone too! Best of luck in your continued recovery.
Unread 02-22-2005, 03:51 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have no idea how I got mine either, and like you I didn't have any pain from it. I was still feeling the twinges now and then from the incission due to the second surgery. So, I don't know how long I could have had that hernia before I even felt any pain from it.
I'm glad that yours was found and taken care of as well. Now if I could just get someone to clean the carpets in my castle....
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:10 PM

We sound like we're made from the same cloth. Had TAH/BSO on 2/7/05 and am doing EXACTLY as you and have the same type pains that you are experiencing. I have never been one to sit still for too long but also know when to take it easy. I get quite a bit done around the house during the day but also take time to take a short nap or watch my favorite talk show. I have my 2 week check up tomorrow and am hoping I will be given the ok to do more....Hope all continues to go well for you,
Kathy
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:22 PM

JBK, YES the things you are doing now may come back to haunt you. I am nearly seven wks post op and miserable and not sure why. I just posted a long post under "adhesions"or something like that about my current condition, but feel I should not have been pulling things out of the washing maching...one at a time....5 days post op...Also, my Dr. did not say anything about bending or pulling, perhaps common sense is expected, but he only told me not to lift ten pounds or more...that is all. When I came home....I don't think I truly had a "feel" for what 10# really felt like because I am use to lifting and doing a LOT...a farmer, etc.. I WISH I had stayed in bed mostly and not lifted anything over 5# for at least two weeks. You sound much like I was...plus I felt really good after my surgery ...until I overdid. Please take care. BT

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register