Camping three months post-op??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Camping three months post-op??? Camping three months post-op???

Unread 02-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Camping three months post-op???

I was wondering what you post-op ladies think about taking a camping vacation 3 months post-op for TAH and bladder suspension? We have a trailer, so it is an easier way to camp, bed to sleep in, dry place in the rain. Still, there is lots of prep work, packing groceries, etc. I know DH and DD's will help some, but how tired did you get at this point in recovery? Also, ride is 4 hours one way.

Were you able to take hikes or bike-ride a few miles at this point? I have done all of these things easily in the past, but worry that if I postpone surgery until after vacation, I won't be able to do these things anyway due to the constant ache in my lower right side. It has been getting more intense, especially just before and after BMs or if I stay in one position too long. (Like driving, sitting in a movie theatre or anywhere for more than 30 minutes, etc) I'm not sure I want to postpone another 4 months.

What has been your experience? Thanks for any advice!

Maggiemay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 11:46 AM

I had pain in my lower right said as well prior to surgery. I have severe endo. I had a vacation in Hawaii planned, hubby and I were supposed to leave on Feb 18th I had my surgery on Jan 26th so I just pushed it out to March 18th. The Dr said I would be perfectly fine to fly from Florida to Hawaii and to go do all that is envolved in sight seeing in Hawaii. So on March 18th at 7 weeks post op I will be getting on a plan and heading to Hawaii. God I can't wait.
Unread 02-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Hi Maggiemay,

I had a TVH so I'm not really certain about the answer to your question in regards to having the incision to deal with, but I went camping for 9 days at 3 months post-op. We had a 7 hour drive to our destination and I did okay with the ride. I'm of the opinion that having the trailer (we have one too) makes a trip like this okay as long as you'd be able to ride comfortably for a long period of time or could take "breaks" along the way as you felt necessary. The trailer affords you a comfortable place to retreat to when you get tired, etc. I was able to ride my bike as well, however, not as far as I was normally able to. There again, I just did what I felt comfortable with and if I got tired or started experiencing any discomfort I quit. Same as I would have done at home. For me, the 3 month post-op trip did wonders psychologically. It got me out of the house (which I was so tired of looking at) and outdoors which always invigorates me and puts things into a better perspective. I'd say, check with your doctor just to make sure he doesn't see a problem with it and if he says okay...then go for it!

Best wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Thank you ladies for your replies!

Courtney...enjoy Hawaii! I can just hear the water lapping on the shore, see the palm trees swaying and feel the ocean breeze. Boy am I jealous!

Susan..Thanks for sharing your camping experience, I am encouraged. This is a yearly tradition for our family and two other families...I don't want to be the reason we miss it ! Do you ever travel in your trailer, like to lay down and rest while someone else (always my DH) drives? I never have, it seems very bumpy just the few times I have stayed inside to get to a dump station (usually not more than a mile). Even if I can't do the hiking and biking, I can still go for ice cream and play Pinochle, right?

Thanks again ladies!
Maggiemay
Unread 02-21-2005, 09:39 PM

Did this ever hit close to home! I purposely scheduled my surgery as soon as possible so I could get well in time for camping season. We're planning the first trip 8 weeks post-op--a short 20 minute jaunt to a local campground in our popup. DH is already planning to do the whole setup himself. All I will have to do is cook 2 meals a day for 3 days and relax a whole bunch. No trail hiking or anything this trip, although I hope by then to be able to take short walks through the campground to check out everyone else's rig.

Does this sound too ambitious, those of you who have been there & done that? Although we have our reservations made, they can be cancelled if I find I'm not up to it. I'd hate to cancel though.
Unread 02-21-2005, 10:04 PM
went hiking today

I went hiking today and I am 3weeks po.
walked 3/4 of a mile in snow.
I would jump at the chance to camp.
Still too cold here though. When I was younger I camped in the winter though........ Nah too cold
But I would do it in a heart beat!!
Wish I was you!
Sue
Unread 02-21-2005, 11:28 PM

Glad someone asked! This website is just awesome. What one of you don't think of the other one does!

I'm due to have a TAH tentative March 18th. Insurance Red Tape & Gyn schedules have changed the hospital location already 3 times. As if I don't have enough to think about. LOL

I know each of us recover differently, and I'm hoping I'll be at least camping/lounging healthy in time for the Nascar race at Michigan Speedway in June. Good Luck on your camping adventure!
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:15 AM

Hi
yes we bought a small camper van in jan which was about 3 mths or just before i had the op - anyway it was wonderful and i found it such a change to being so house bound - mind you we only went away for like a night or two and then each weekend we would just stay away for one or 2 nights so that was all but it was so relaxing just stopping when we wanted and the 2 dogs just loved it so it was a good bonding all round. - best thing we have done!!
So i guess just take it easy and relax and just stop and have short walks - the biggest thing for me was toilets as i wasnt keen using public places incase of infection but nothing happened at all and we just used the service stations so that was great and parked nearby toilets for the night time but didnt need them until the morning so all in all things were alot better than i thought they would be so yes go for it but just do it in your stride
good luck
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:24 AM

Hi again Maggiemay,

Looks like there are a lot of ladies out there that like to camp!!!! What a great stress reliever and a great way to spend quality time with your loved ones.

To answer your question....I have never stayed in our trailer while we were traveling, although the thought has crossed my mind. (I think it's against the law in our state). I don't think I would recommend it for you to try this so soon after your hyst. I wasn't too crazy about too much jostling for a bit after my surgery. It takes a while for things to heal in there.

Good luck and enjoy that trip. It will be so wonderful to get away from the house. Like you said, even if you can't do much biking or hiking, you can enjoy many of the other pleasures of camping.

Unread 02-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Hi Ladies, thanks for all of your replies...we are just a bunch of Happy Campers!

"Sparky", have you ever been to Ludington State Park on Lake Michigan? It is Heaven on Earth! This will be our 10th year camping there with friends.

Enjoy all your camping adventures, ladies...Happy Trails!

Maggiemay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register