bad hostptal stay (long story) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bad hostptal stay (long story) bad hostptal stay (long story)

Unread 02-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I Hated my Catheter, TOO! ARRGH!

I had fairly nice nurses, all in all, but it was the anesthesologist and his silly "24-hour" rules concerning the morphine pak he had implanted in my spine that made my life miserable. First of all, the nurses had put in a catheter the size of the Holland Tunnel that HURT. They kept trying to adjust it for me, but no matter what, it felt like one long, miserable bladder infection. Since they weren't allowed to take it out, they could only give me that stuff that turns your pee orange! When the doctor came in the next morning and saw it was still in, she read the nurses the riot act! I was crying with gratitude when they pulled the evil thing out! Also, the anesthesologist would not allow me to have any sleeping pills the night before because of the so-called morphine pak which I swear he never put in -- I was in TERRIBLE PAIN, no matter HOW much Demerol they gave me. Enuff complaining! Once the doctor came in the following morning, everything was "fixed," and I'm sure she reamed him out good! I was put on a 12-hour morphine clicker that helped IMMEDIATELY, then on Percocets, which I'm still on. The other thing that made my doctor mad was my insurance company would not allow me to stay a third night, which she felt I should because I was weak and bleeding so heavily from the incision. She said since I could "walk" she was forced to discharge me.

Enuff complaining! I'm glad to be alive! YOU, on the other hand, had a FAR worse experience. The thing I hated, though, was when I pressed the nurse call button, and they answered nicely on the intercom, but sometimes wouldn't hang up quickly enough and would say something snide like, "What IS that woman's problem? I just ADJUSTED her catheter an HOUR AGO!" UGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Just had to

hop back in again, as I still cant believe what happened to you. I have been a nurse a long time, and have seen alot of things go on, but this is by far I think the worst in 18 years. When I was in nursing school at the age of 24, I will forget what one of the older wiser nurses told me. She said that always keep in mind no matter how long your shift is, how tired you are, or what personal problems you have, that you as a nurse you took an oath. she also told never to forget that every pt. is someones daughter, or sister or wife or child ect. these words stuck with through many a tough 12 hour shifts. Again I am sickened by the actions of these nurses, and discusted with the hospital. just think of how many people these nurses have been treated so horridly by. good luck in your healing journey, and be well. carol
Unread 02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
bad hostptal stay (long story)

I remember the one night I spent in, I got my leg wrap cords somehow wrapped around the outer edges of the bed. (Both sides). I rang the nurse and rang the nurse, and no one would come. My legs were literally trapped wide open, because the tubes were running along each side of the bed. I was actually laughing, because it was past embarrassing. Finally I saw this guy with a bucket and mop and BEGGED him to come help me. He flipped both tubes back over into the middle of the bed and I could, thank god, finally close my legs. (Had a blanket, so it wasn't a total embarresment!!. When the nurse came by later, I told her what happened, and she had me check my nurse's buzzer. The one on the right side of the bed wasn't working. We did find out the left side one was, so if I needed help again, at least I could ring someone. (Not near on the level of horror that you all have experienced - but crazy things happen!!) And bless the poor cleaning guy who came to my rescue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 03:06 PM

So sorry to hear how bad your experience was. I too had a less than wonderful experience. I was left in a room (private) with everything out of my reach. The phone rang and rang and drove me crazy. Finally, after several hours, a nurse came in because the alarm on my IV was going off. I had to ask for water and for everything to be put within reach. Also, no one told me the procedure for dietary -- dietary called me ten minutes before they closed to ask if I wanted something for dinner. I found out through them that I was on a clear liquid diet and could order over the phone from a menu in my room (also out of my reach).

At 10:00 the next morning (more than 24 hours after surgery) I finally asked for a basin to brush my teeth and a cloth to at least wash my face and hands (that I hadn't been able to do since before surgery the morning before). The nurse also removed my catheter at that time. At about 10:30 I needed to go to the bathroom and used my call light to ask for help. After calling twice and waiting 25 minutes I couldn't wait anymore, so I tried to get out of bed myself (my first time up post op). A nurse came in to -- you guessed it -- check my IV because the alarm was beeping. She found me sitting on the side of the bed, dizzy, in pain, tangled in tubing, and crying. She and another nurse helped me to the bathroom. They said that no one told them that I wanted to go to the bathroom. When I said it was my first time up, one of the nurses rather snidely told me that I was supposed to be up in a chair the night before. When they left me (sitting in a chair) they forgot to give me the call light. When I had to go to the bathroom again, I couldn't call for help (no call light) so I just unplugged my IV and took myself. After that, I didn't ask for any more help. I took myself for walks in the hallway and turned off the alarm on my IV when it beeped. I pretty much realized that I had to take care of myself.

My experience wasn't as bad a yours, but I did expect a little help with matters of health and safety. Maybe it was my delicate emotions, but it still hurts to remember. Then, a week after I was home, I received a survey from the hospital for inpatient OBSTETRICAL services. I have no children, and since I just had surgery to effectively end any chance to have a baby, I thought the survey was very insensitive. I did write letters to the president of the hospital and the director of nurses. I have no idea if anything will come of it, but I would hope that no one else has to feel like that after major surgery.
And writing the letters did help me feel better.

"Take care of yourself" takes on a whole new meaning...
Michaelat
Unread 02-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Northwestlady, thank you for the chuckle. I could visualize your situation. It helps to put humor into the experience.

Michaelat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register