4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya? 4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya?

Unread 02-22-2005, 08:49 AM
4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya?

Amazed and happy, I sit here at my desk at work. I really feel like I've turned a corner in my recovery, even though I've been at work for a week today.

Walking and sitting are NO problem anymore. My bladder still works perfectly, and the bowels are active and not nearly as noisy as they were in weeks past! I bet my DH is SO happy for that little perk!

Energy levels were back to normal by week three; here in week 4, I actually feel more energetic than I have in years. I'm still not bending or lifting anything; I know there are still stitches healing internally, and if I feel a 'pull' inside, I'm very quick to either lay down or otherwise get myself into a position where the 'pulling' stops. It could be just a stitch dissolving and the flesh getting used to holding itself together, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Driving isn't bad, as long as I limit it to about an hour or so. Anything longer and I feel totally wiped out when I get out of the vehicle! I'm still listening to my body...When it says rest, I rest. Even though I'm back at work, it's not demanding work, and I am allowed to go over my break times if I feel the urge. Gotta love it!

The only problem I'm experiencing is a 'bulging' sensation at the vaginal entrance. I used sterile gloves to check the opening last night, and I felt a bulge just behind the vaginal opening at the bottom. It's not really painful, but I'm not sure if it's just vestiges of the vaginal swelling...It'll be one of the things I call my doctor on this morning to discuss.

Libido...Sheesh! I'm DREAMING of sexual relations at this point! I read a thread on here last night about someone having sex at 10 days post-op, and wouldn't you know it...I dreamed hubby and I had sex and I ended up at the doctor's office, with doc telling me I had a raging infection and the vagina had to come out now!

Perhaps most surprising is the fact that I dropped sizes since the surgery! I've dropped from almost being in a 22 to a size 18 being too big! I credit that to lots of water, lots of veggies, very little fat and NO soda during the recovery. I'm trying to keep up my healthy habits at work...I threw out the beef jerky and sodas as soon as I got back! lol

So, all other 4-Weekers...How do YOU feel a month after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 09:18 AM

I had a TAH with alot of work done on my bowels, bladder, and cavity wall. I have also had alot of set backs, 1 hematoma that move down between my legs before dissipating. Now I have been put back on bed rest due to the posiblity of another hematoma that is deeper, or several hernias, too swollen to tell. We will discuss my options on the 3rd, if I still look like this.
Either way to sum it up, this 4 weeker is feeling
All because during my first 2 weeks I did way to much like house work and shoping which is a big
That pretty much sums it up!
I am very happy for you and glad you rebounded so quickly
Keep up the good work, add a prayer for me that I may be joining you soon!
Jill
Unread 02-22-2005, 09:25 AM

Hey, HysterSister "Twin!" (my surgery was the same date!)

I also kept ovaries, but my surgery was abdominal - my fibroids were too large to do otherwise.

Wow, you're back to work!?! Be careful not to overdo. I am just in the past few days able to sit up straight enough to use the computer for more than a few minutes. Doctor said I could drive and have sex as of today, but I don't feel remotely up to either! (Except in my dreams, like you say -- the hubby is lookin gooooood!

I too, have lost weight, when I expected to gain, while sitting around for all these weeks, eating my neighbors' great casseroles, and all those chocolates friends sent! My appetite is much smaller lately -- I eagerly sit down to a yummy looking dinner, eat about half of it, then I just don't want any more. Hopefully this will last after my recovery - I've heard you can "shrink your stomach" by habitually eating less. Also, I haven't been eating out at restaurants. At home (imagine a high & mighty tone) I never cook with butter or cream, but at a restaurant, I don't hesitate to order things like Fettucine Alfredo!

I don't know yet what size I am, because I don't feel up to wearing anything but soft fuzzy sweatpants, but the sweatpants are getting really baggy! Oh, also the uterus with fibroids was 353 grams -- about 3/4 lb??? Every little bit helps, right!! Especially when it was all in the belly!

Good wishes for continued smooth recovery!!
Merrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 10:15 AM

I wish I was feeling a bit better, but I know I am improving. I was at a good weight going into the surgery so for me the weight loss is not a good thing. I will need to gain a bit back in the weeks to come. For now, I am trying not to lose anymore. I am still fightng nausea and insomnia although each week seems to be a bit better. I do not have as much energy as before the surgery, but I am doing light housework and laundry. I also try to walk outside each day, weather permitting.

The recovery from this surgery has been more intense than I had expected. I think the fact that they were never able to control the pain and nausea has made things worse. Fortunately, I have had no serious complications and my incision looks good. My four week check-up is Thusday and I am beginning to prepare a list of questions to ask the doctor.

I feel considerable pelvic pressure when I am active or standing for very long and am a bit concerned about that. Hopefully, it will get better with time and exercise. Bowels and bladder seem to be fine although the bladder hurts when it finishes emptying.

My prolapse was such that their was no choice but to have the surgery plus the surgery fixed and removed a number of other long term problems. I am glad to be on the recovery side of the operation!! A bit more time should take care of the things that are still bothering me.
Unread 02-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Four weeks

Hello, everyone!

I am noticing more energy at four weeks. I can sleep on my sides or front without much discomfort now.

Bladder and bowel functions are better than before--no pressure.
Gas is gone. I am off all meds unless I overdo.

I am able to drive, although it makes me ache after. We have a standard shift car. I do laundry, cook, and straighten the house, but no heavy work yet.

I walk up to 1/2 mile outside so far. Feels great. Can't wait to get back into shape! I haven't gained back any weight. Lost 10 - 12 pounds altogether since finding out I needed hyster.

Sometimes my back aches, my skin feels prickly and cold, I have internal aches and pains, and I still swell up by evening. All of these things just need more time.

I am very happy with how I'm feeling at this point. The biggest struggle for me is to rest when I need it and not to overdo.

I wish you all continued successful recoveries!

Cinderellen
Unread 02-22-2005, 11:15 AM

First post or reply for me. So good to read about the 4 weekers I was beginning to get a little down. I am feeling better but still have pain when the bladders full or I am voiding. I am having a terrible time with bm. I eat a lot of fiber, but have trouble and a lot of discomfort when going. Always feel like I have not emptied totally. MOM seems to help the best. Have piles that are killing me. Been doing small things around the house, laundry, cooking, lite straitening up and walking but get very swollen and sore when I am on my feet for a long time. Feel like my pelvis is falling. Still very tired and pale. Went to my heart dr. yesterday, I have a pacemaker and she was concerned and took blood work. I saw my dr at 10 days and he thought I was doing great and see him again on the 4th. Sometimes I feel like I went backwards since then. I can't thank you all enough though for all the info. Unfortunately a lot of us haven't a clue what to expect with this surgery and without all of you I surely would have been a basket case. Love to all my new sisters.
Unread 02-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Not doing good!!!

Hi there sisters!!!

I must say that I had hoped to be feeling alot better by now. But I am not. I feel terrible. I am still having lots of pain and have had diarreah for the past week. I have taken everything I know to try to get it under control and nothing is working. I had hoped that the pain would be gone by now but it seem to get worse day by day. I am in such a slump right now.

I am happy to all of you that are recovering so well. I hope it continues for all of you!!! You are all in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Renee'
Unread 02-22-2005, 02:18 PM

Greetings,

I feel 80% better this week than I did the past three weeks. I am almost afraid to admit it because I don't want to jinx my recovery. I have my 6 week post op on the 4th of March....returning to work on the 7th of March...I hope. I can still feel that I am recovering from surgery but all in all...I am doing much better. I have lost 20 lbs since my surgery, my tastebuds have changed and my appetite is very different now. I almost have to force myself to eat because I get full so quickly now.

Hugs to you all...

Peace and Blessings, MzTumari
Unread 02-22-2005, 03:41 PM

Hey I am 4 weeks today. I also feel much better this week. More energy to do things. Beginning to feel like old self. Went back to work yesterday. It still hurts me to sit up straight. I had a bikini incision. My incision is also tender. I feel a pulling on the right side. I had also lost weight but I am regaining some. Had my postop and Dr. says I am fine. I am a little concerned because I have started dribbling urine some. A culture was negative. Anyone know anything about this. I hope it's not here to stay. Take care Lynn
Unread 02-22-2005, 05:18 PM

Hello

I am at 4 weeks today, and feeling great. I feel very lucky after reading what others have and are going through. I know there was times I done things I shouldn't have and i suffered from it. But I feel like my old self again. Have checkup tomarrow so wil how well i am really doing. Thanks alot this site has been a lot of help. This was a very scary thing for me to go through. Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register