4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya? 4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya?

Unread 02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
4 Weeks Post-Oppers...How are ya?

4 weeks tomorrow! Finding that my boys (21 and 22) and DH are becoming less "sympathetic". Felt pretty good yesterday, but slept nearly all afternoon today. I still have significant pain "up inside" (does anyone know if grafts healing could be the cause?) I guess because I look okay they are getting to think I'm milking the situation. I wasn't working before my surgery - in fact had been in paralegal school, which finished up in December. I'm kind of scared to get out in the workforce again in case I'm not able to sustain a full day. At least my DH thinks I'm another 2-4 weeks away from being able to even think about that.

Also scared a little about S-E-X. I've been reading about erosions and I know that for me, they put mesh grafts in (not sure if it was for the cystocele repair, the rectocele repair, or both) but I've been able to keep the DH fairly happy with "outercourse". Weird thing,(REALLY sorry if TMI), but I tried on my own just to see what it would be like, and it hurt - like stinging and stabbing. Has anyone else had that, and will it go away as I heal?

I'm beginning to think that the pre-op jitters were easier than trying to figure out what all of these post-op things mean.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 06:57 PM
woohoo!

I am 4 weeks today as well and can say I am feelin pretty **** good! 2 days no pain meds. had them refilled yesterday just in case but if I keep being good I shouldn't need them! I am soo very happy about this as this is my 14th surgery in 5 years and the best recovery thus far. I was telling some of my friends this is the first time since I was 16 that I haven't had any pain! I am so glad now that I made this decision! Thank you ladies for being here!

I told the hubby he can start driving his car to work tomorrow. I have not driven yet except on sunday to move his car from the upper driveway to the lower driveway because I can't stand to see it on a daily basis. he had it parked out of the garage on the upper driveway in full view of the family room where I could see it all the time. The reason I have a problem with it isn't because it is an eye sore.. oh no it is in mint condition now that it as been rebuilt twice. it is a 1997 mustang. but we got in a very serious crash in november 2003 and I still have flashbacks. I was amazed I was able to get behind the wheel of it to move it but it was mind over matter to get it outta my sight. I had been asking him for weeks since before the surgery to move it.

He tells me shame on me for doing things I am not supposed to do but his telling me shame on me? it is like a little slap on the hand. if he really isn't happy he needs to move me out of whatever the situation is not just say shame on you. I got sick of seeing a very dirty kitchen after a week. he had done an extravagent valentines dinner and just left everything where it was so you couldn't see the countertop or anything. I went nuts cleaning. he was mad. oh well! I kept asking him to do it. I am a neat freak

so still not working til march and will start driving probably tomorrow since I will have been off pain medicines for 3 days. I wish to GOD I could start the sex thing but I am scared to with all that has happened I wanna wait til I get the ok from my doctor. my drive is back ten fold! I am sooo glad to be off birth control! AND my weight has gone down too! I am hoping to continue to loose and can't wait to be cleared to start at the gym with water aerobics! congrats to all those doing well and to those that are still struggling you'll get there! every body heals dfferently *hugs*
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Hi all my 4-week sisters. It's so interesting how we all have our own recovery schedules. For me, I hardly stayed in bed the first 3 weeks and gradually increased my four walks a day so that now each one takes about 15 minutes. I may buy one of those meters to see how far I'm walking.

Getting the bowels to go on their own has been the hardest for me. I'm not constipated, just having trouble getting it all coordinated to push out. As riored posted, some days, I don't feel like the bowels are completely emptied which is uncomfortable. Last night, I had a particularly bad time of it and was scared that I broke some internal stitches as there was a bit more brown blood on my pad. It's better today with the normal amount of rotting, deteriorating stitches.

I'm waiting for some kind of menopausal symptom. So far, nothing. Maybe I did go through it pre-op.

Today, I pushed around the dust mop on my hardwood floors for the first time. No pain. I've gone to the grocery store for small purchases about 3 times. First couple of times driving, I felt a very slight dizziness which has cleared up. Even though these trips were very short (shorter than my walks), I felt exhausted after each one.

I've slept on both sides since Week 2 home. Haven't tried the tummy yet but it's bloated so I'm going to wait.

My doctor wants me off 8 weeks and I will take it! My job can require lots of overtime. Oh, in the past week or two, I've had more fatigue than I did in the early weeks. I just take lots of little naps.

I see my GYN this Thursday so I'm writing up all my questions. Thanks to those who host this board as well as all you sisters who participate for helping me not feel so alone as I go through this. You all rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 09:47 PM

4 weeks yesterday. Feeling pretty good most days. Today was a "want to sleep all day" day. But tomorrow I will have lots of energy and probably over-do. Is anyone else still spotting? Nothing heavy, usually brown or light red. Have post op on 3-3-05. Not really concerned, just small spots on pad. Speaking of which.....I AM READY TO GET RID OF THESE DARN PADS!!!!!!!! My hubby too is less sympathetic. OH WELL. It was fun while it lasted. Glad you are all doing so well. We are tweaking my hormones. Hope it helps. Have a great week. I will be 40 Sat. and I am looking forward to it. Christy
Unread 02-22-2005, 09:55 PM

4 weeks tomorrow. i am not sure how it's going. I feel great a lot of the time but I get tired a lot. I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out what is too much. I get the poster who says she's not getting as much sympathy. Sometimes, I get the feeling that I should be doing more around the house and spen less time in bed. Then, like today, I find that I really HURT!!

I worry that I may be doing damage and then I worry that I'm being too lazy!!
Unread 02-22-2005, 10:24 PM

Hi all I'm 4 weeks today and I have to say I think I am a lucky one,I feel great I am back to work part time and doing more and more of my normal routine evey day. I must say I do get tired VERY easy though. I do have a 35 min drive to work and this can be slighty uncomfortable but not anything I can't handle. The worst thing for me,well my dh loves my dog but hates her shedding and since I could'nt take her to the groomers he decided to help and shave her!!!!!! and boy did he my poor cocker won't be able to show her face around town for weeks . Well that's about it feeling good most all of the time and so very thankful I hope all go well for all of you.

K.......
Unread 02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Hello All

I will be 4 weeks on Friday and Monday I go back to work! The Dr has said go and I am going because I can't take this house anymore! The walls are closing in. I go for walks everyday and try to get out every other day at least to the library!
I still get tired easily but my Boss has said that if I need to leave or rest just do it.
I agree about the husband thing I think at 3 weeks mine had enough with doing things for me. i am back to doing everything except SEX. I was feeling tired and worn out yesterday but I couldn't even get him off the couch to help cook dinner. He was tired from work. I am still having discomfort with bm's and urinating but nothing that can't be handled. I also have lost weight almost 10 lbs. I go back to my PCP tomorrow and she's going to change my HRT and do a urine test so we can see from there.
I am glad that everyone is healing and coming along..Hard to believe it was almost 4 weeks ago time flies
Unread 02-23-2005, 09:17 AM

I was 4wks post op on monday and feelingpretty good. I've been driving and doing very light housework since week 2, listening to my body so I won't over do it. My 6 wks check is on 3/7, hoping for an extra 2 wks because I work 12 hr shift and on my feet all day.

Well, I woke up on monday feeling great, did some lanudry and @ 1100 my DD called from school crying w/ ear pain. I went & got her, went to the clinic, major infection (she's better). Since my surgery, my Mom has had 2 eye surgery w/ the last being for detached retina, had f/u yesterday and she had high pressure in her eye (40-65, norm <20). I had to get her to her doctor ASAP 200 miles away, I drove,informed will need additional surgery on friday, so we came back home (another 200 miles) and will return on friday. I was a little sore when I got home but di pretty good overall. Took a shower and 2 pain pills, just in case. I slept well and actually woke up today on my tummy and feeling good. I hope the week continues to good well, I'm scared for my mom and just pray she doesn't lose her sight. She's normally very active and always runs around w/ my 13yo DD.

I do know wouldn't have made it thru this without my family and friends. all very supportive. My DH has been wonderful, I love him more each day. He's been very busy at work but will drop everything if I call and need him.

Thanks for listening,
Denise

BTW, I have lost weight also, about 12lbs. I don't have much of an appetite.
Unread 02-23-2005, 08:20 PM

Hi girls!

I was 4 weeks yesterday and have been feeling wonderful. My energy level has been gradually increasing and the discomfort has been decreasing. I've been taking short drives and short walks and I really haven't been very tired the past few days.

However, I did get a trip back to the castle Monday night by way of ambulance with several cute knights (paramedics) along for the ride......

I was sitting at the kitchen table minding my own business when out of the blue I felt this "gush" from down below. Keep in mind that I wasn't experiencing any more pain than I had during the prior weeks. As I got up, I noticed a spot of bright red blood on the kitchen floor. I yelled for the DH and headed upstairs. When I got to the bathroom, I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of blood I saw and felt more coming out. I was convinced that I had broken open my entire abdominal cavity and I was bleeding to death. My DH called the doc who asked a few questions and decided I needed to go to the ER asap and that I should be taken via ambulance.....

Long story short, I saw the ER doc who did an exam and found that one of my disolving stitches was sorta stuck on a scab along a vein and when the stitch decided to detach, it took the scab with it which caused the sudden and heavy bleeding. I got to hang out at the castle for about 5 hours with an IV and the doc did a treatment with silver nitrate (YEEEEEOWWWWIEEEEEE!!!)

I saw my regular doc today and he agreed with the doc I saw at the ER. There's nothing I did wrong and everything is still healing perfectly and the cuff is still sown up nice and tight. He also told me that this is quite common, although I did lose more blood than than what women usually experience (gee, I feel so lucky!) I've decided that that was quite enough excitement to last for the duration of my recovery time!!

I do feel very blessed that everything has gone so well. Hugs and good thoughts to all!

Unread 02-25-2005, 08:22 AM

Hey, I also have surgery date of Jan 25. I actually ovulated on Feb 12 and almost went to ER, I was doubled over in pain. Turns out I was ovulating, the poor things are stapled to the wall, no wonder they were screaming. Next month should be better, just glad to know they are working an dright on schedule, that just amazes me! I thought they would at least take a few weeks off!
I am finally feeling more energetic this week. We got back to homeschooling 8 days after surgery, figured I could only sit on couch, they could sit there too. But I had to lay down every so often, now we get thru all of our lessons, and I still take a lay down rest every afternoon for about 2 hours. I am finding I can do more with out Having to lay down, that is encouraging. Still not lifting, VERY careful about that, heard horror stories. I am also pretty careful about bending. I have stooped down and knelt on floor to get something and then crawled back up with a chair. Bent too fast yesterday and felt a pull, no more of that! I am just so great ful that it is over and know eventually I will be 100% again. SOme of us faster than others, just like in all other areas of life, don't compare ourselves to others, each situation is so unique, we only get into trouble when we look out instead of up
have a wonderful day
Dolores J

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register