normal or fibroids in brain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

normal or fibroids in brain? normal or fibroids in brain?

Unread 02-22-2005, 10:49 AM
normal or fibroids in brain?

I'm hoping a few kind women would post a reply for me, and I'll do something kind for someone else.

Scoop: a decade of suffering debilitating periods, mother and grandmother dead of fibroid related issues, 5-6 month sized fibroids causing abdominal, back, leg pain and pressure, elimination concerns, BLOAT, and depression. 4o year daily practice of yoga, movement teaching career, hardly able to move anymore due to huge uterus.

Many opinions, tests, etc...Hysterectomy sounds good. I believe I have the chance through the operation to return to a normal life that isn't all modified to keep my fibroids from killing me. Sure I know some women can live with huge fibroids, but why not me? If I would only content myself with a life on the couch and maternity clothes I could be fine. I almost never feel good when I'm up and about (which is daily as a mom, dog walker, and exerciser-deep water aerobics cause only minor cramping for me), my belly just aches from the size, cramps are all the time, breathing impinged, hunger and extreme attraction to the restroom. The yoga I've practiced daily for 40 years is getting harder and harder, less and less. Pilates (I've been a pro trainer for 20 years) not possible, can't hold in my belly or lay on my back without doubling over in breathless pain. Bodybuilding? afraid a fibroid will dislodge...Walking a chore...staying awake difficult...Hysterectomy sounded so good.

Then I kept reading. Doom. Gloom. Hysterectomy for fibroids about as stupid as lobotomy for fibroids countless authors write. Who are these doctors who write this stuff? I could swear hyst is the right choice for me, and look forward to it actually, but seriously worried about making a foolish choice when I could just take to surfing on my sofa and maternity clothes. Some tell me I shouldn't expect to be athletic at my age (44) and should just give in and get negative effects of aging like everyone. My yoga teacher is still teaching a dozen classes a week at age 86, says she has no pain. My Pilates teacher is still going strong and famous in her 70's not to mention looking great. My bodybuilding teacher fit as a twenty year old at 76. Me? Prior to the rapid growth of my fibroids I was astonishingly strong, looked (I'm told) not even 30, and felt fantastic. Now? feel like a fibroid myself. Like a stupid woman for considering hysterectomy...Like a stupid woman for NOT considering hysterectomy when my family history includes death related to the dumb things, yet according to what you read, you should d*****atly NOT consider hysterectomy for fibroids. Why do I even care what these strangers would think of my choice? If the operation didn't heal lifes strained by gynecological problems do you think it would be less popular? Feeling guilty about having the chance to solve my problems. Feeling ashamed to be planning the hysterectomy for fibroids when they allegedly aren't going to kill me (according to the same mostly male doctors who write that hysterectomy is a waste) like they did my mom and grandmom who choose to do nothing about their large fibroid problems. Hope my daughter doesn't face this, don't want to lay around do nothing and continue to feel like a rotting egg, teaching her not to guard her health, yet don't want to teach her to undergo un-necessary surgery as hysterectomy is alleged to be unless your fibroid passes the hundred pound mark I guess.

Help for flip-floppy-fibroided friend Noom? Love Noom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Noom,

If your life is that effected by the fibroid, and you feel comfortable with your decision, I say go for it!

I am only 35 (soon to be 36) and did not have fibroids but had severe bleeding, pain, and adenomyosis. I felt as though my life was slipping through my fingers because all I wanted to do was sleep because of being anemic.

I now feel like a whole new person.. My life has changed so much since my surgery. I can now keep up with my 2 DS ( 6 & 11 ) without feeling exausted all the time.

I hope you fine a good DR who will work with you and help you through this difficult time in your life.

Tammy
Unread 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM

I too did not want my TAH/RSO. But you know what? I spent too much time thinking, worrying, stressing, agonizing (my fibroids and cysts were big,and when you do yoga you can feel them YUCK) about them. I have way more important things to me that I enjoy having occupy my brain. For me, I needed to be done with that. I just started back in yoga- it's good to be "home". I am 4 wks. recovering and sooo glad that behind me. Best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM

Quality of life is a valid reason for hysterectomy. As long as you are going into this surgery with your eyes open to the possible risk, it is one way of solving the fibroid problem once and for all. There are women out there who have ribs removed to improve their sillouhette for heaven's sake! You want to remove an organ that's actually misbehaving.

I had a SAH last summer for large fibroids. Yes, I could have had a myomectomy (I was only 38) but it's a bloody and long operation and my doctor, as skilled as she is, said that she would not be able to remove the smaller ones and I was looking at a 50% chance that they would grow again to troublesome size within 5 years.

I gave up yoga the year before my hyster because of the bloat - I could no longer do positions that put my on my belly or folds that left nowhere for the fibroids to go but into my spine or bladder. I too am very active and look great for my age - I did my first marathon at age 36 and that year the woman who won was 48 and hadn't started marathoning until she was 40!

My question to you is have you found a doctor who is willing to do the most conservative hysterectomy for your fibroids or are you still struggling to find a health care professional who is willing to work with you? Certainly your doctor must see that the bulk and pressure of your fibroids is robbing you of energy and mobility.

Having been through this, the only thing I can say is that I feel guilty because I didn't do something sooner. If I'd been more proactive, I probably could have had a laproscopic myomectomy for my largest two about three years ago, but because I waited too long, that option was closed to me. But don't kid yourself, the recovery is long. Sure, technically they say 6-8 weeks, but remember that there are lingering recovery issues for 6 months to a year. Some women recover quickly, but some of us take a little longer (me).

If you're interested in my journey, you can click on the WWW link by my name and you'll find my journal that goes back to the beginning last summer so you'll know what you might be in for. Take some time and read over the possible risks (sexual, additional surgeries, compromised ovarian function, etc.) so that you can properly evaluate this on the basis of risks and benefits.

Take care.
Unread 02-22-2005, 11:15 AM

Hi Noom,
I'm 44 too and have fibroids that are taking over my life. Although my uterus is only a 4month size all of my symptoms are the same as yours plus I am anemic,have heavy bleeding and clots, and the size of the uterus is interferring with kidney function too.

The daily abdominal pressure and pain really get to me. When I have my period for the 1st three days I just want to stay home. I can't get far from a bathroom as I need to change tampons and pads every 1/2 to 1 hour or so. What kind of life is this?

What is weird is that when I work out at the gym it is the only time when I feel a little better. I used to run but gave that up a awhile ago.

I felt that having the surgery was right for me. I can't wait to have it over with and get on with my life. I can't remember when I truly felt good and enjoyed things. I want my life back.(I have had problems for 3 years) My aunt had a hysterectomy for fibroids but my mom chose not to and waited 8 yrs for hers to shrink at menopause. I don't want to wait that long.

Keep reading what the ladies on this site have to say. They are fantastic and have made me feel better about my decision. I say you should go for it!
Let us all know what you decide to do.
Unread 02-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Sweetheart!

Do you have a doctor that you trust? If you do, and have discussed this with him/her, and a hyst was determined to be the right thing, do it. I have questioned myself for many months. I finally decided, why? Not, why have the hyst, but why am I questioning it? I have seen several docs. I like the two that I see now, and I trust them. They both believe that even though I am only 36, this is the best thing for me. I will feel better, I will have more energy, I will be happy. I don't care anymore what a bunch of male doctors, who don't know my situation, think. (By the way, every male doctor I saw prior to finding a doc who cared, said my pain was normal, that I was getting older so I should get used to it, and that I could take up to 4 Advil at a time 'cause that's life). Turns out, they were wrong. I have a abdomen full of endo. It is packed full and it doesn't feel good. I am having a TAH/BSO and I'm proud of it. I will be back to myself and I will be beautiful and pain-free so I can excercize again and life will go on with me right here. The same goes for you. You have to do what is right for you. Good Luck to you and much love!
Unread 02-22-2005, 11:28 AM

I have a question, after reading several posts by different women in this group...about a hysterectomy being a waste, and that coming from a male...
Is there some way we can give them our problems??? Because then, I am sure it would no longer be a waste if it was an end to the suffering!!!
Unread 02-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Your body, your choice

Hi Noom,

First, and most important,

Second, I'm in awe of your fitness level and committment. Forty years of Yoga? Wow! I've only recently discovered yoga, courtesy of a 64-year-old instructor, and I love it.

Third, if your doctor recommends a hysterectomy and you've got a second -- or even a third -- opinion with the same recommendation, that is probably what you need. I've even got a book titled "No More Hysterectomies!" which acknowledges within its pages that in the case of very large fibroids/fibroid clusters, a hyst may be the only option.

Yes, there have been too many hysterectomies done on women. There are probably still too many hysterectomies done. It is a contentious and highly political issue. But health is not political, it is individual. There are situations where the operation is warranted in order to improve quality of life and prevent further problems.

As you know from your own family experience, fibroids are not generally regarded as dangerous but they can be.

I think there is also a kind of anti-hysterectomy backlash which almost makes a woman feel guilty if she agrees to a hysterectomy. I know I feel a bit like I'm "giving in" since I've decided to go ahead with a hysterectomy to remove my five-month fibroid farm, although at present I have relatively minor bulk symptoms. (In fact, I'd describe my hysterectomy as primarily pre-emptive since the prediction is that I would have eventual bladder damage if I did nothing. The mass now fills my pelvic area, so I also risk other organ damage and heavy bleeding by doing nothing.)

My GP, who originally discovered my fibroid farm, thought I would need surgery to deal with it and that it wouldn't be a minor surgery either. The initial gyno I saw said my only option was a hyst. I obtained a referral to a doctor who is an acknowledged "fibroid expert", who does myomectomies and who refers for alternate treatments like UAE when those are warranted. (I had to wait more than two months and travel three hours to another city to see him.)

But when he also told me the best option was a hysterectomy, I decided that was probably the truth. I'd heard it from three medical professionals and they all agreed. Conspiracy and collustion was unlikely. Hmmm...

I was on a fibroid discussion list at the time and posted the verdict, only to receive a number of impassioned e-mails urging me to try for yet another "better" opinion and to keep trying until I found a gyn or IR who would agree to an alternative.

I'm sure if I looked long and hard enough, perhaps re-mortgaged my home and went stateside with enough dollars in hand, I'd find an alternative. But I'm not sure that would be good medicine or a good decision or give me the best result.

What will give you the best result? Which is the most responsible choice for your future health?

Seek out unbiased sources -- that does not include the HERS site, BTW -- and weigh the alternatives. This site is a good resource since it doesn't promote either site of the argument.

A great many women have hysterectomies for fibroids -- and on Feb. 28 I'll be one of them. Every woman is different and in some situations, I think a hyst is the appropriate treatment. Only you and your doctor can make that determination.

Best wishes for reaching the best decision for YOU and for your future good health.

Keep well,
IslandScribe
Unread 02-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Hello sisters and fellow princesses! In all fairness, I have to say that I had a male GYN. I had a female doctor for a while, but she was soooo busy, I felt like I was just another one of many. One day, I mentioned my bleeding and clotting to my family doctor while in his office for my annual breast cancer exam, and he gave me a referral to this male GYN. I went to see him, and was so amazed! He took all the time I needed to discuss my situation, and he took me and my complaints seriously. It was so refreshing. He said he tries to treat all his patients like he'd want his wife/daughter treated. He kinda reminds me of a hawk-eye pierce kinda guy. He reccommended hysterectomy, but left the decison up to me. He outlined the other options and the risk of each option. I decided that I didn't want to risk having the fibroids removed, just to have them return again in 2 years or so. He also left the decision as to whether or not to keep my ovaries up to me. I decided, with my personal and family cancer history, I wanted them out. He agreed that would be wise. When I woke up in the castle post surgery, my nurse was checking my incision, and she explained to me that I should have no problems, that this doctor graduated 1st in his class, and in all the years he'd been at that hospital, he'd NEVER had a patient come back with complications. She said he's so picky and demanding that none of the nurses like to work for him, but they would definitely go to him if they needed this surgery. Anyway, my point is, don't just write off male doctors!
Unread 02-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Hello there!

I just wanted to let you know that I was miserable with my huge fibroid tumors for a long time. I was scared of surgery so I kept putting it off. I finally had it done on 1/6/05 and OMG I am finally free of the misery! I am 43 years old and feel like I have a new lease on life. I kept my cervix and ovaries because there was nothing wrong with them and I wanted my own natural hormones. My own advice it to get it done. I know how you feel, all the pressure on other organs, clothes not fitting, just plain UNCOMFORTABLE! That was the old me. I do not miss my 6 month sized uterus at all. I have my dr. appt today and look forward to being "released" to excercise etc.. The surgery and recovery were nothing compared to all of the suffering my fibroids caused. My best wishes to you and the end of your suffering.

Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register