6 weeks postop HUGE weight gain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks postop HUGE weight gain 6 weeks postop HUGE weight gain

Unread 02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
6 weeks postop HUGE weight gain

I went to the dr. yesterday for my 6 week checkup. I had a TAH/BSO on January 7th. I have gained 15 pounds since my surgery!! My doctor just acted like "oh you will just have to get back in the swing of things" well I have done way more than I should have been doing the whole six weeks. So it wasn't like I was just sitting around eating, and doing nothing. My stomach looks like I am 6 months pregnant!! He said everything was healed nicely, one little spot that he had to silver nitrate, and I have to go back next Monday for another silver nitrate treatment.

Does anyone know what would cause such a huge weight gain in such a short period of time? Like I said I have not ate any more or less than I did before surgery. I mentioned the hormone to the Dr. but all he said was "there aren't no calories in hormone pills" ha-ha so funny!! I had been using the Climara Patch but switched to Gynodiol 1mg daily.

Any suggestions on how to get my stomach to go down??? HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM

I'm on the patch too. I'm only 12 days post-op and haven't weighed. I'll be real interested in hearing what the other sisters say. Gaining weight is a big concern to me too. Plus wrinkles and sex drive, and everything the ovaries can affect! Hang in there ...I'll be thinking about you!
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Chances are that it's just fluid right now.

Unless you are overeating to the extreme, it's unlikely that you've put on that much fat in only 6 weeks.

Free floating fluid in the abdomen is very common after surgery - all of the small vessels in that area have been disrupted and some were damaged and need to repair themselves. As a result fluid pools there and it takes a while to drain away - it's easier to get rid of it if you keep your feet up so that you heart doesn't have to work as hard. A light natural diuretic like apple juice or cranberry juice can sometimes help your body find its natural balance as well.

A good, high fiber diet will also help your bowels move stuff out quickly and keep your intestines moving well.

Just a note, exercising, especially ab work will NOT help, in fact, it may make it worse. Don't fret, you haven't done anything wrong, it's just a natural part of the healing process.

Adjusting your hormone levels as you heal may be key to keeping your metabolism in check with your activity level as well, so if you find your doctor is not listening to you, find another one.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Reno,

Just a thought...you say you are not eating any more or less since before surgery. Have you taken into consideration that during your 6 week recovery period your physical activity may have been much less than before surgery? So, if you're eating the same as before surgery, but have less physical activity, that would mean you were burning fewer calories every day throughout the 6-week period. That could account for the weight gain, or at least some of it. That was the one thing that concerned me the most so I cut my portions and calories to compensate. So far it's working. Perhaps this is one of the reasons you are struggling? I hope you start having good results soon.

Good Luck,

Linda

p.s. My Dr. is the same way about weight. He actually said one time "well, you're 44 now, you may just have to get used to your new weight". I saw that as a challenge and stepped up my gym workouts. It worked! I love my Dr., but I am not going to take his advice on weight!
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Reno, I have no clue whether I've gained weight since we don't have any scales in our house. All I can say is that I definitely FEEL like I've gained about 20 pounds. Normally, I'm around 110 and have never, ever had a weight problem. I eat what I want and never gain. Right now, though, my swelly belly makes me look like I'm about 4 months pregnant, and I'm getting sick of it. I can't tell if I've really gained weight (from calories), or if my poochy gut is just all swollen. I'm five-weeks post op tomorrow, and I'm ready for this to go away.

Juniper, bless you for mentioning the free floating fluid. I now have hope that I'll wear my regular clothes again....someday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register