I never saw this coming! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I never saw this coming! I never saw this coming!

Unread 02-23-2005, 11:36 AM
I never saw this coming!

I was at 3 weeks and feeling pretty good,then I started having bad gas pains, and some nausea. It got bad enough on a saturday night I called the on-call dr. Fortunately, my dr was the one on call. she advised me over the phone, we discussed what I may have done different, (nothing) and she said if it gets worse to come to the ER. It did get worse. I was up all night throwing up, the next morning I tried to have some toast, no luck, I looked on line for help, but decided I had better go in, I was scared something was wrong and didn't want to wait until my dr office opened in the morning.

my dh got very impatient during the nearly 4 hour wait in the ER, and we almost gave up, finally when I got in to see the dr, they did some blood tests and all the nurses were saying how many people had been in with the flu, I probably had that. the dr ordered xrays of my belly. nothing showed. he said I could go home and take something to clear my bowels but thought it would be best if I stayed and did a cat scan. it would take another 2 hours. by this time I am in miserable pain and still vomiting. dh agreed to wait and do the cat scan.

the results showed part of my intestine was very close (1/4 inch) from the surface at my incision! and it was unclear if there was an adhesion, or hernia or what, but something wasn't right. they called down the surgeon.

next thing you know I am checked in to the hospital and scheduled for surgery on monday. IV already in, now the ng tube (yes, it's awful) and try to get some sleep.

the surgery required a vertical incision, cutting at my original bikini incision would risk cutting the bowel. surgeon also did a revision of original incision which was not yet healed, and had a gap.

I was in for one week, and now am home, tomorrow will be 5 weeks post hyst, but I am really at square one. I am fighting off many negative feelings and trying my best to keep my spirits up. my family and friends are great, but I am so scared I never want to go back to the hospital, I don't know how I can know this will heal with out complication. searching for my faith, and hoping for the best.

I hope my story doesn't scare anyone, I guess this does happen but not very often. thank you for letting me tell it.
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I never saw this coming!

Dear dear tenniscrazy~
I am soooooooooooo sorry but am just so glad they caught it when they did. I know EXACTLY what you mean about not EVER EVER wanting to go to the hospital again. I've had a real tough time myself when it comes to my bowels. It is a day by day process and I just pray everyday that it works.
I will be thinking of you so much. Write again if you wish...i'm here for you.
fritha
Unread 02-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I never saw this coming!

Sandy, you'll be in my prayers. I share your exact feelings. I don't know how one avoids things like adhesions, prolapses, blood clots and I feel like this big bulls eye waiting for each to hit. I'm walking as much as I can hoping that exercise will help me not get clots. I try not to strain for bm's but it's **** hard and so uncomfortable.

I pray that you'll continue to recover without a hitch and regain your strength quickly. God bless you, Sandy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I never saw this coming!

I am so sorry that you had all this trouble! I really applaud your persistence in seeking help with the problem. When you get discouraged with the whole situation, just think that it could have gotten really bad if you had done nothing. Sometimes it is hard to know if you should get medical attention or just wait and see if the problem gets better. It sounds to me like you were very wise. If something else does happen to come up, be encouraged that most of the time there is something that can be done to fix the problem. Our bodies are so amazing and have such a wonderful capacity to heal, although it seems like sometimes it takes a long time. I'm sending you hugs and encouragement.
Unread 02-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Bowel concerns

Hello
So sorry to hear about the in and out deal with the hospital- my hat goes off to you.

I'm curious and concerned about a few things re my upcoming TAH march 10th/05..

I am scared about the surgean nicking the bowel or bladder when removing the uterus and cervix--

And also about the pain management. I've never been on pain meds-- he said I'll be on morphine and then demoral.. what's the pain like and whats the experince like being on these meds. Anyone have any insight you could share-- I just love this site-- it's so helpful. Thank you.
Unread 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM
I never saw this coming!

Hi Sandy,

Im so so sorry to read your thread. Im pleased to see that your now home. its time to and be treated like the you truly are. You must let your body have time to get over these two op's. Try to enjoy the time.

Take care my angel and keep us in touch with your recovery.

Tricia x x x
Unread 02-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I never saw this coming!

Sandy - I'm so sorry that you had that happen. I know you must be very disappointed to have such a setback - but at least now it has been handled and you are definitely on the road to healing once and for all. Take very good care and when you feel up to it, keep checking in to let us know how you are doing. You'll be in my thoughts & prayers.

Sending gentle S
joano
Unread 02-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Sandy and Chanty

Dear Sandy,

So sorry for all the trouble. I'm glad you went to the hospital when you did! Tell your DH I said thank you for hanging in there with you!

I'm sending best wishes and prayers to you for an uneventful recovery. Please take care of yourself. Try not to worry. I know it's hard when you've had this unexpected, scary experience.

I had a good Castle stay, and I'm doing as expected with my recovery, but I sure don't want to see the inside of a hospital any time soon! I can't imagine what you've been through!

I'm glad your family and friends are there for you.

Lots of gentle S!!!

Cinderellen

Hi, Chanty!

Please know that your doctor does everything possible to keep from nicking bowel or bladder. He/she can explain this to you. Put it on your list of questions to ask. Others here may have more info on that.

I had demerol after surgery, although I didn't use much. It didn't make me sick, just a little fuzzy headed and sleepy. I also had the On-Q catheter right in the incision. It helped 100% with the incision pain for me. When the pain is managed in a timely manner, it's quite tolerable. I wasn't in much pain at all--more like a heavy ache.

This is a wonderful place to do research and learn from women who have been through it. HysterSisters is the best support I found through the whole process.

Best wishes to you!

Cinderellen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register