post op helpful hints | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op  helpful hints post op helpful hints

Unread 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM
post op helpful hints

Hi Ladies,
I thought it might be interesting to list any helpful hints we've gotten post op for those of us who are having trouble or who are still castle bound.
The biggest help ive found is a raised potty seat. They sell them at medical stores and some drug stores, and it's just a plastic potty seat that raises you up about 8 inches so you don't have trouble getting up and down.
Another thing is I'm 6 days po and having TERRIBLE back spasms. I think it has something to do with being really big chested and putting extra strain on my back to stand up straight. I wanted to shower so badly, but couldn't stand up for that long, so I put a plastic yard chair in my shower so I could sit and wash my hair in comfort. I feel like a million bucks now that I've washed all the hospital ick away!
What ideas have you come up with? I really need something for swelly belly if anyone has ideas!
Thanks , and lets see what we can come up with!
Mindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 01:26 PM
post op helpful hints

Hi sisters.

Well first and formost this site is the best perscription for any sister, that has to be tip number.1.

One of the most useful tips I could pass on is for the sisters is:

If you feel a sneeze coming on, close your eyes. This stops the sneeze from arriving. Just try it and see! It worked for me for 2 months

Tricia x x x
Unread 02-23-2005, 01:47 PM
post op helpful hints

For me, the best hint was passed on by another pet lover. If you have pets (or small kids for that matter) - NEVER EVER be without a pillow! I sleep with it on my tummy, sit with it on my tummy and carry it around like a big teddy bear! When you aren't feeling well, animals (escpecially cats) know it and want to cuddle with you. A cat landing on a pillow sure hurts a lot less than without one. Since I was warned of this ahead of time, I trained Sassy that she couldn't sleep "there" every night about 2 weeks prior to my surgery so she had learned to sleep elsewhere. She still tries, but isn't as adamant as she used to be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 01:51 PM
post op helpful hints

For swelly belly, I wore panties with light stomach support. This was recommended by my doctor and I thank him for his recommendation. The panties provided just the right amount of support so my stomach was tired at the end of the day and I didn't feel like everything was falling out when I stood up.
Unread 02-23-2005, 02:40 PM
post op helpful hints

The first night I was home from the castle I had trouble finding a position to sleep in that didn't hurt ..which was hard!

I finally took a pillow and put it under my knees to simulate a hospital bed and then propped my upper body witha couple pillows...this really helped and I could actually sleep...more or less!!
Unread 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM
post op helpful hints

A very helpful hint I found also came from the sisters on this site. I had a basket with a handle on it that I carried from room to room. I kept all my meds, blistex, a pen, my doctors number and even the cordless phone in it. It was so much easier to just pick the basket up when I went from the bed to the lazy boy.
I did find one other thing during recovery that I thought I might mention. Please make sure your remote control to the TV has fresh batteries. I about wore mine out flipping channel trying to find something in the daytime worth watching. It would be really bad to have it die on you and then you'd have to get up and rummage through your drawers to find more batteries.
Unread 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
post op helpful hints

My helpful hints would also be a basket and a few items to keep in it Fruit Breezer lozenges for a sore throat I can't seem to get rid of. Peppermint candies for a slightly upset tummy and fresh breath, chocolate kisses, hugs or whatever you prefer. Also a small container of lotion skin seems really dry right now. I also put in a book and glasses for reading, kleenex, pen, thank you cards, small bottle of hand sanitizer, chapstick and any other neccessary things.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register