what is an endometrial biopsy? Anyone ever had it done?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what is an endometrial biopsy? Anyone ever had it done?! what is an endometrial biopsy? Anyone ever had it done?!

Unread 02-23-2005, 07:04 PM
what is an endometrial biopsy? Anyone ever had it done?!

ok... i'm a bit confused. I was hospitalized 2 weeks ago for hemmorraging (ok i clearly didn't spell it right) but.. I had 2 blood transfusions during hospital stay. They gave me 6 shots of premarin and a shot of lupron and a Rx for premerin to come home on. We THOUGHT that the surgery would be within the next week or so.. and so I finished my Rx yesterday and then called today to find out if they had heard anything about the date for my surgery. And they FINALLY set it! APRIL 5TH @ 7:30 in the morning. They'll do the hysterectomy first. Not sure yet as to which type the Dr will perform. And then after that is all done then they will do the breast reduction surgery. When I was on the phone with the Dr's office today, they said I needed a follow-up from when I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago and that they wanted to do a test called an endometrial biopsy. *this is not my pre-op apt.. this is my follow-up from my hospital stay* I have heard of women who have had it but I, myself, have not. They said take 2 advil and come on in. Well..here's my question. It's a 3 hour drive to the hospital I'm going to tomorrow to see the Dr. by myself.. And so if I am going to need to take a friend I need to plan ahead ASAP. Anyone suggest I go-it alone and just tough-it-out..or should I be safe and for cramping and aching concerns..should I take someone with me? Three hours there means three hours back (plus rush-hour traffic) ..I would appreciate all posts ..thanks!!!
~ambreigh HYSTERECTOMY SET FOR APRIL 5TH WITH BREAST REDUCTION!!!! >>>too many other proceedures previously had to really list YET! still learning the abbreviations for everything here hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 07:54 PM

Hi,

I've had two endometrial biopsies. They're not that bad, really. The doctor will dilate your cervix, then insert the instrument which will pinch off a small piece of tissue. You will feel a pinching, cramping sensation for a few minutes, which may be very uncomfortable. Just breath slowly and deeply and try to concentrate on something else during that time. You may also have some mild cramping and spotting for a couple of days, which Motrin will usually help.

It will help to take the Advil or Motrin as suggested before you go, and you may also want to have someone with you to drive you home, though after both the procedures I had, I was able to drive myself. I had the second biopsy on my lunch break, then drove back to work and finished out the rest of the day.

s,

Lisa
Unread 02-23-2005, 08:04 PM

ambreigh,

I have been having endometrial biobsies yearly for the past 20 years. You should take a couple of Ibuprofen about 30 minutes to an hour beforehand as it can cause some pretty rough cramping. Sometimes some minor cramping can last for the rest of the day and sometimes it is over as soon as the proceedure is over. I always drove myself there and back. But since you have such a long drive, if you have a friend who is available and willing to go with you then by all means, take her up on the offer. I just had a SAH/BSO on 2/18/05 so that I won't have to do any more of that kind of thing!! I had my last endo biobsy right before my surgery was scheduled. My Dr said it gives her information she needs.

I hope your surgery and recovery go as well as mine have. Even though I still feel like I have been hit by a train, I am feeling better than I have for 25 years. My hormones were really out of whack, and even though it will take a while to get them balanced correctly, I am very sure that I have done the right thing.

I hope this helped,
-Kay
SAH/BSO on 2/18/2005 for very large fibroids, and adenomyosis. Cramping 3 weeks every month and very heavy bleeding with severe anemia. I am still trying to get used to the idea that all of that is behind me now !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2005, 08:09 PM

I had one prior to my hyst. I was nervous about it but my doctor gave me a novacain type shot in my cervix before putting the probe (or whatever it's called) in. I had no cramping or any discomfort. Having said that it couldn't hurt to take a couple of Advil anyway. But don't be nervous, it wasn't bad at all.
Unread 02-23-2005, 08:50 PM

I had one done. I took 3 Advil about an hour before. I didn't need anyone to go with me. My doc inserted the speculum and then passed a small tube through the cervix. Then she passed something through the tube that took samples of the endometial lining. That was the part that was uncomfortable. She took 3 or 4 samples and each one was a pain for, maybe, 5 to10 seconds. Otherwise, it didn't cause me any additional discomfort after that. Hope that helps!
Unread 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
thank you so much!

thank y'all so much for the replies and for responding so quickly! I think I'll go it on my own. A friend suggested ibuprofen and mydol???? I dunno. Thinking I don't wanna be too drowzy for the drive home. Just a suggestion I suppose? And she said she had it done and had spotted and cramped for a couple of days afterwards. Did anyone experience spotting afterwards? Is this a common side effect? Thank y'all .. I am loving all my sisters so much for all their posts. I hate to hear that others have gone through similar experiences as myself. But I can't begin to express how grateful I am to know that I'm not the only woman that has gone through this whole mess!!!!
~ambreigh
10 years of abnormal bleeding (3 successful but difficult and life threatening pregnancies ..2 by vaginal deliveries and 1 by ceserean 2-95/7-96/12-01).. gallbladder lap 1/97..lap & d&c to look for endo 3-01.. no signs but one fibroid was removed at that time..ablation attempted in 7-03 as well as a tubal and d&c..diagnosed with menorraghia and possible abnomiosis..severe anemia for past 10 years. Hysterectomy and Breast Reduction (from a 42 FF down to a d..WOOHOO :dance2: )set for April 5th!!!!! *scratching head and wondering if that's all! ummm maybe! ha!
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:24 AM

I just had my biopsies done a few weeks ago. I cramped pretty good, but honestly they weren't nearly as bad as the cramps I get with my period. I drove home and even went shopping on the way home, took an advil and felt pretty good. I cramped and spotted for a few days but it wasn't anything major. Mostly just panty liners and a little pink when I wiped.
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:39 AM

Yes its as every says, uncomfortable, a bit cramping and spotting afterwards. Mine was done by surprise at a clinic appointment ..I wish I'd had warning to take some painkillers first !! But its not too bad ..dont worry.

Lucky you getting the reduction done too ..Ive still got to lose another 14lbs or so for mine and hoping after the hyesterectomy I'll be less stressed and able to get those last few pounds off.

Wow you really are going to be a new woman! Good luck
Unread 02-24-2005, 08:27 AM

Really not bad at all, way less painful than a cervical biopsy. I had 2 cervical biopsy done before and i refuse to have another. The endometrial one is no big deal, just take a pad or wear a liner. No one told me that, thank god i wore a line in there or i would of had a little mess in my pants as my doc used some saline solution he pumped into the uterus and of course that all drains out. I had cramps and bled a little bit for 2 days. Don't be scared though as it was really fast.
Unread 02-24-2005, 09:38 AM

OK, you asked for experiences so let me give you the flip side.

I will *never* have another endometrial biopsy again. She couldn't get past my cervix on the first 2 tries. Probably was doctor's error and general mean-ness, but it was bad. She finally did make it through, but I don't think she snipped anything. She did scrape the inside 3 seperate times. I did take the advil 1 hour ahead of time, but it felt like nothing was stopping the *pain*. It was not cramping. I had asked several people about the procedure and had heard that it was uncomfortable and that I would have "some cramping". That so is not the way it was for me.

In all fairness, had it been a different doctor it might not have been so bad. My DH was there to drive me home. I would not have been able drive myself. I started feeling better about 3 hours later. It might have been the trauma of not being prepared for what she did to me that threw my mind into a fit and made me think it was much worse than it was.

Sorry, it is not a positive story, but I do worry about you driving yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register