FIRE and ICE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
FIRE and ICE

Ladies,
My DH says I should call the doctor, but I wanted to ask all of you first. I am 2 weeks post op today for a TAH. For the past 3-4 days, a burning sensation has been bothering me, today being the worst yet. Let me describe: I am numb directly on my incision site and about 1/2 inferior (below) on the skin. I am numb, on the skin, about 1 1/2 inches superior (above) the incision. Then, there is this area, starting at 1 1/2 inches above the incision, and continuing almost to my navel that is on fire. Or at least it feels like it is. When I touch my skin there, it is cool. The burning is coming from right below my skin. It doesn't hurt (more) when I press on it, and there is no discoloration. It just feels like something is burning. Like your skin is raw from being sunburned or rubbed with sand paper.

I don't have a fever, in fact I have been hypothermic since my surgery. I can't get warm. My temperature rarely rises above 96. I have the heat up in the house and I wear a robe or a sweatshirt all day long. My hands and feet are ice cold.

Could these be related? Does anyone have any insight? I am going to stay online for awhile, and then I may call the doctor.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
FIRE and ICE

Hello,

I am not sure about the burning above the incision but I would call the DR. Being cold is something I can relate to. I am almost 4 weeks post op and still get cold. I had the same symptoms of coldness for almost 2 weeks and still get cold. I was told that it's normal. Are you on HRT? Once I started it did help a bit.
Hope everything is ok. Let us know what the Dr says
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
FIRE and ICE

Yep, my skin was on fire...felt sunburned and lasted for weeks. It went away gradually. I think it was the nerves. I placed my cold hands on my tummy all the time. Couldn't stand clothing touching it ! I also used 3 way with pain plus on the incision at the urging of my doctor.

Please do call the office. Ask what this could be. Keep watching, like you're doing for any other signs.

Please make the call, better safe than sorry.
Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2005, 11:24 AM
FIRE and ICE

I had this too and my doctor said it is where they had to cut the nerves. I am almost 7 weeks post op and my belly still feels like I have a sunburn. Good luck!
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
FIRE and ICE

No, I am not on HRT. I kept my ovaries.

Could it be that I live in Western Pa and we have really cold winters? I am not imagining my temperature, because I take it every day.

I don't know if I can go on with the "sunburn" under my skin. What kind of nerves would have been cut that far up?
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:33 PM
FIRE and ICE

Hi again,

My "burn" was from my navel down. The skin on my public bone is still very sensitive and I'm going on 13 weeks. Nerves run like a freeway, that's why often when a nerve in pinched in the spine area the patient feels the burn and pain of the nerve all the way down the leg.

I'm sure you'll feel better after calling the doctor. You can try a cool pack, although I couldn't tolerate the touch, it might help you. Ask the ofice if you can use sunburn medication to take the sting out. I didn't try it...maybe our sensations are too deep for it to help. I know it's painful to have, but it will go away. First, make sure it is the problem and not somethimg more serious.

Good luck,
Maralyn
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
FIRE and ICE

Yes, I had the burning sensations too. I compared it to my tummy being sunburned VERY sensitive to the touch. Also had numb spots as well.

I think it is pretty normal....but for peace of mind you might want to check with your doc.

I am 13 weeks post op now and all sunburned feelings are gone. Still have numb spots, but I can live with that.

Good luck and happy healing...

Sarah
Unread 02-24-2005, 02:46 PM
FIRE and ICE

I've had a low temperature (95-96) on and off since my surgery and I live in California! So I don't think it's just a cold winter. I have a milder form of burning under the skin as described. Some days are worse than others but mine is exactly where you describe. The lady who said it's because they cut the nerves there makes sense. Let us know what the doctor says. Good luck!
Unread 02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
FIRE and ICE

I've got the burning too, on the right side of my pelvic bone all the way from my groin to my outer hip... I had the same thing with my last c-section and the gyn said it was the cut nerves. Does it feel better in the morning, after you've been off of your feet? Don't know exactly why.... but mine does.

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register