A little tiny cuff: Is this wishful thinking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A little tiny cuff: Is this wishful thinking? A little tiny cuff: Is this wishful thinking?

Unread 02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
A little tiny cuff: Is this wishful thinking?

I'm not sure where to post anymore...

I had an LSH almost 6 months ago, and I just got my surgery date--Wednesday-- to remove that darned cervix now.

I was not really a candidate to keep my cervix in the first place (see my signature!), but got talked into it against my better judgment by my old (bad!) doc. I now have long and painful mini periods and a large painful cyst on my right ovary.

This will all be laparoscopic, but I'm a little unclear on the mechanics of it. I know there will be a vaginal incision this time, and I'll now have a cuff.

Here's what I'm hoping: Since we are just taking out my little tiny button of a cervix, is it possible that I'll have just a little tiny incision? I mean, it's not like we have to pull an enlarged uterus out of it--we don't have to pull anything (I think), just remove the cervix and cyst. So would that make the incision smaller? What's holding that lone cervix in place now, anyway?

I'm thinking that the recovery will be about the same as for the LSH, which was pretty easy. But, I only had 2 internal stitches for that. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2005, 05:34 PM

Your cervix is attached to the vaginal canal, that's why you'll have stitches in there... They'll probably have to use a few more stitches in order to form the cuff. They'll remove the cervix and the cyst through small incisions 2-3 in your abdomen. Though you're likely to have more stitches in there, you'll probably not be in as much pain there, because they won't be in there taking things out through your vagina.

Hope this helps some... If you have more questions, your doc would be your best bet.

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!!!
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Margot, I'm not sure if this will help ease your mind or not, but I can tell you about my cuff, since I got very curious right before the doc released me for 'normal life' after a TVH almost eight weeks ago.

I washed hands very well (three times, with antibacterial soap!), then worked up my courage and made an exploratory mission to see what it's like in there now. It did feel like the "toe" of a sock with about six stitches in it, just as one of the sisters told me it would. When I think of how much stress that areas undergoes during sex, I imagine there are more than *six* stitches, maybe even more than one or two layers. Probably depends on size, condition of the tissue, etc. (?) That'd be a good question for the doctor...

It wasn't particularly uncomfortable as it healed (just a dull ache that didn't take long to subside), and since you won't have a lot of internal cutting or ligaments detached and resewn, I bet you'll be surprised at how good you feel afterwards.

I'm wishing you the best for next Wednesday!

Amoreena

P.S. Everyone seems so concerned about sex without a cervix...here's the straight scoop: IF it's different from before the hyst, it's only BETTER! No pain, no bleeding, great response, DH is so glad not to have to fear hurting me any more. WooHoo!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2005, 06:12 PM

Hi Margot,

I was rather offended by what my doctor said in her surgery report. " This is a very large, widely open cuff, which is partially closed using vicryl figure-of-eights. (stitches) A small opening of 1 cm will remain open for drainage."

She told me later that with the birth of children, a history of a bad cervix, and the weight of my very large fibroid uterus, the cuff was really big.

I think you will like your cuff Goodbye cervix and mini periods!!! You're gonna love it!

Best Wishes,
Maralyn
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Whew! I'm so glad to get the scoop on this! Before my surgery (TAH) I was toying with the idea of keeping my cervix, then I thought, "Why? I'll just have to go in for yearly pap smears and at some point it will probably need to go anyway, so let's just get it done!"

After surgery, my Dr told me he kind of wished he'd talked me into keeping it because it was quite long. Don't know what that means, other than when we were first discussing my surgery and we talked about taking or leaving the cervix, he said the cervix is just a little stump at the end of the vagina - no big deal to take it or leave it - either way was fine. But, I had a lot of bleeding during surgery - almost had to have a transfusion - so maybe he was just thinking that it would have cut down on the operating time and the time I was under if they'd left my cervix.

I had Stage four Endo, horrible adhesions, a huge mess in fact, but I never had painful sex! In fact, having an orgasm helped with all the abdominal pain, so I'm a little concerned about if the sex will be as good as it was once we get the go-ahead.

Two weeks post-op today!

Norma
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks, girls...

So, the cuff is pretty small anyway--except for Maralyn's What's with the drainage, Maralyn? Is that standard procedure?

And all of my ligaments were already cut during the hyst...so maybe it's not wishful thinking after all.

After this I'll be in the unique position to comment on whether sex is different (post-hyst) with or without the cervix. Right now that cervix is causing me nothing but grief. My new doc (who is actually my old doc from when I was having babies) says that cautery will not stop mini periods--you can't burn the bottom to stop the top from bleeding.

Too bad the doc who did the surgery didn't tell me about the possibility of mini periods. He was very excited to use the new Di Vinci Robot (said it was like a video game). He could only use it if we did an LSH. I kept having to remind him that I'd had carcinoma in situ on my cervix just 14 months earlier, even though he's the one who did the LEEP for that. He said "dysplasia is easy to detect and easy to treat. And, you should be fine as long as you stay with your husband."

Oh, well...live and learn, I guess. Next time I will trust my gut. And even though I'm not thrilled to have another surgery, I'm really glad my old (terrific, but far away doc) will be having a look around in there. The doc who did the first surge left some endo and misdiagnosed the cyst in the first place.

Thanks for your input!

Margot
Unread 02-24-2005, 09:43 PM

Hi again,

The hole is left depending on the doctor's method. I read somewhere that about 50% of doctors leave the hole for normal abdominal surgery drainage.

I agree, too bad you didn't know ahead about the mini periods. Although, some do lighten with time. My cervix was bad so it was a no brainer for me. I'd also read here, that there would be a possibility of mini periods No thank you.

Glad you're in the hands of you new/old doctor. Best of luck with this procedure. It really should be better for you.
Maralyn
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:34 AM

I had my cervix removed with the TVH because my doc said that keeping it would give the mini periods, leave a site for cancer and in his twenty years of doing hysts he had found no difference in sexual response comparing women who kept the cervix and those who had it out. I had also had a cerclage stitch done on mine when with my second set of twins I developed an incompetent cervix. ( Isn't that nice terminology!!??) I had also had it cauterized in one of the many procedures to try to stop the heavy bleeding.

The first time we tried sex I thought my vagina was too short because of the pain in trying to go all the way in. My DH is also very well endowed (TMI!!??), but after "practicing" many times, we are just fine as long as he goes slow. I don't notice any difference in my response or feeling in there.

Good luck! It's too bad you have to go back in.

Sending Vibes your way-Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register