2 weeks post op and first drive - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post op and first drive 2 weeks post op and first drive

Unread 02-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Driving

Good morning!

I try to drive in the mornings to run errands. When I have had to drive in the afternoon, I'm more achey, tired and swollen to begin with.

I first drove at 17 days in the afternoon. I had to take pain med and went to bed for the night right after dinner.

The second time was at day 21. I went out in the morning and again in the afternoon. Too much! Pain med and in bed by 8 p.m.

The third time was day 22 in the morning. Much easier and better.

The fourth time was in the afternoon again. Wasn't as nice.

Now at one month driving is much better. Just have to be careful how tired I am and the time of day. I haven't been out of town yet. Mostly keeping to 5 miles or less. I still use my trusty tummy pillow for security and support.

Happy driving everyone! Go with care and be good to yourself.

Cinderellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
2 weeks post op and first drive

I'm at 2 1/2 weeks post-op and I haven't tried driving yet. My dr told me once I don't need pain meds at any time of day I was cleared to drive and some patients she has cleared at 1 week. I haven't taken any pain meds in a week but I still don't feel ready I don't have major pain, but there is some soreness/achiness and I'd hate to have to stomp on the brakes because we have our share of idiot drivers around here
Unread 02-25-2005, 10:40 AM

I had to drive at 11 days post op because I had a crown fall off the day before & had to go to the dentist. I did fine, in fact it was better than having my 17 year old daughter drive, because she lacks patience with the crazy drivers out there! But I have been blessed with a speedy recovery... never even experienced the exhaustion that most seem to have.

One thing I would recommend is a small squishy pillow to put between you & the seat belt. I am 3 weeks post op today (WOW how time flies) and will probably be using the pillow for a while still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 02:56 PM

I am two weeks yesterday, and my Doc gave me the ok to drive as well, just short trips she said....but I am in no way ready to get behind the wheel.....I have been having to do a lot more around the house, because I only had some help the first week..and the pain has been awful.....I can't imagine trying to drive as well.....thank goodness for Schwan's delivery or I would have run out of food! hahaha But good for you ladies who are able to tough it out and drive already!
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:17 PM

Hi Ladies,

Well thanks for all your thoughts. Yes I was somewhat sore last night but I managed without any pain meds. My gyn did say I could try anytime in the 2 weeks when I felt ready.

I live in a small country town so the driving isn't too hard and it's very rare we even need to reverse park. So basically driving is easy going. Not sure it will be the same when I go to Orange later this week.This trip is unavoidable and is a 45 min drive. At least it will be in the daylight so I'll have no trouble with kangaroos. The road between us and Orange is feast heaven for them at night.

I will be careful and go slowly and thanks for everyone's concern.

Karen
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:55 PM

I can't imagine driving at two weeks. I'm just over two weeks and my doctor's instructions say no driving for six weeks. I don't even want to go anywhere, but since there are no children here and DH is very helpful (he even does all the grocery shopping), I haven't had to go out unless I wanted to. I've been out three times, twice to the doctor's and once to a neighbor's house. I'm taking it as slow as possible. I don't need any more problems.
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:25 PM

Hi, sisters.

I will be 2 weeks post-op on Tuesday, and my dr said I could start driving on Monday.

HOORAY!

I have been a passenger twice (third time will be tonight when DH and I go out to dinner).

So far so good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register